Smoke Signals - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smoke Signals Reviews

April 19, 2016
A well-intentioned film with very unlikable characters and a cliche plot, just featuring Natives.
April 18, 2016
I had to watch this for my latest GEO essay, but surprisingly, was a pretty good film.
April 9, 2016
We should make more meaningful movies like this
½ February 23, 2016
Smoke Signals takes you on a journey with two native Americans as they learn who they are.
November 13, 2015
This is a must see movie! Entertaining for everyone.
November 11, 2015
I saw this a long time ago and I couldn't stop laughing!
½ May 18, 2015
Simple story done really well.
March 1, 2015
love this movie ''
½ January 10, 2015
This movie inspired me to make fry bread. It's worth watching but not a happy theme.
Michelle Ress January 2015
November 4, 2014
Flat movie with little comedy. This movie is incredibly boring.
September 25, 2014
The themes and narrative structure are fine, but the execution and result is laughable.
½ September 6, 2014
A well-made and well-told indie film.
August 24, 2014
Such good cast and their performances were riveted by good spirits that came to this very well-made independent film, written by the author of its source material that was stretched to a better feature-length story. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
May 27, 2014
Real Native American actors are used in this splendid tale about a son who must forgive his father's past mistakes.
½ May 13, 2014
awesome indie-one of my faves is this first feature written directed produced and starring native americericans
April 23, 2014
Funny, heartwarming, and dramatic, Smoke Signals has plenty of wit and charm to delight viewers, decent acting, and a well executed premise!
½ January 21, 2014
Sherman Alexie is one of most important Native American fiction writers of the past century, and with this adaptation of his short story we see the real strife of these people, living in reservations. The film follows a young man (Beach) and an old friend (Adams) who take a road trip to put his father to rest. The film deals with prevalent issues in the Native American community including poverty, alcoholism, and racism from a heavily white population. Having Native American protagonists and a heavily NA cast is pretty unheard of in many films, even recently, and seeing this story made is really quite interesting. The story is a little rushed, as the journey takes a short amount of time. Most of what we see is Victor (Beach) trying to understand the legacy that his father has left for him. We see a transformation, but it goes by so fast that it's hard to savor exactly what has occurs before the story inevitably ends. We're also not sure what either Thomas or Victor will ultimately do now that this "adventure" has taken place. It just doesn't have the strength behind it that the original story invokes.
½ January 20, 2014
ANOTHER must see, and featuring one of my favorite entertainment figures, Gary Farmer. Seeded in the Sundance Lab.
January 15, 2014
I was surprised with this flick. It wasn't anything special but the performances, smooth transitions, and well integrated flash back (which i typically hate) charmed me over. You get to see some well done monologue thru characters telling stories which was fun. Didn't really catch anything too deep happening but it's worth a watch. Also: white guilt did not play a factor in this review.