Some Came Running Reviews

• Feb 11, 2017

Heavily worded melodrama has some scenes that drag a little but the last 20-30 minutes offer up a sobering, downbeat conclusion. Frank Sinatra is not as memorable here as say 'The Man With the Golden Arm' or 'From Here To Eternity' but does have some chemistry with Shirley MacLaine's sweet-as-pie floozy.

• Jan 09, 2016

This is one of my favorite movies. Shirley MacLaine, Ginnie, is the poorly educated girl leading an unhappy life bouncing from one man to another, until she meets Frank Sinatra, Dave, a WWII veteran trying to escape his loneliness in drinking and gambling with a cynical new friend, Dean Martin, Bama, whose identifying trait is the cowboy hat he refuses to remove for anyone. Many stories are intertwined, but the moment when Ginnie sacrifices her life for Dave, and Bama's removal of his hat at her graveside is for me among the most heartbreaking of any film.

• Nov 07, 2015

She's strictly a nice girl. Dave Hirsch is a former writer who was sent overseas at war and comes back a hard ass, smart ass, and hell bent on settling down with a local girl he quickly falls in love with. A new associate tries to convince him to keep women at-an-arms distance and his money making situations at the forefront of his mind. Dave doesn't follow his associate's advice but may quickly wish he had... "What are intellectuals?" "Over paid." Vincente Minnelli, director of Gigi, Some Came Running, Home from the Hill, The Band Wagon, Father of the Bride, The Clock, and Cabin in the Sky, delivers Same Came Running. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and carried by its dynamic main character portrayed by Sinatra. The cast also includes Dean Martin, Shirley MacLain, Martha Hyer, Arthur Kennedy, and Nancy Gates. "Not much grass on a busy street." I came across this on Netflix during a recent update where they uploaded a bunch of Sinatra films. I added them all to my wish list. This was very entertaining and well done and I loved how Sinatra delivered his performance. This isn't perfect but is worth your time if you're the fan of the classics. "What's on your mind, if anything?" Grade: B-

• Oct 11, 2015

This is just awful. If I weren't compulsive I would have stopped watching 1/2 way through. Here's what's bad (and this is a short list): script, stilted dialogue, bad acting from every player, studio-paper-thin sets. Made me want to cringe constantly.

• Apr 25, 2015

Great acting and story. Sad, but true.

Great acting and story. Sad, but true.

• Apr 09, 2015

Starring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Shirley MacLaine, Martha Hyer and Arthur Kennedy. Fundamentally flawed, disjointed and overlong character study of bitter veteran Sinatra returning to his Midwestern hometown after WWII. Uniformly strong performances manage to overcome the film's many weaknesses, namely the lackluster screenplay and mediocre direction from Vincente Minnelli. Shirley MacLaine is heartbreaking in the role which earned her first Oscar nomination. From a novel by James Jones, author of "From Here to Eternity."

• Oct 17, 2014

Great performances from people who clearly worked well together but the story lacked direction until it was too late.

• May 31, 2014

I guess I'm not a big fan of Vincente Minnelli as I would always remember Shirley MacLaine more of her annoying voice than her tragic fate and selfless love.

John B Super Reviewer
    Mar 26, 2014

Sinatra tried to replicate his success with From Here to Eternity but he doesn't have enough to work with here. This tale of a soldier's return home is not as compelling as oooh "Coming Home" for example.

• Mar 25, 2014