Some Kind of Wonderful Reviews

• Jun 14, 2020

Cool film, and has the necessary vibe of nostalgia of the 80s, but they fail to put actors, very, very old to play teenagers.

• Apr 08, 2020

Some Kind of Wonderful was an attempt by John Hughes to right the wrongs of Pretty In Pink, and Some Kind of Wonderful is the better film overall. Eric Stoltz stars as Keith, a misfit teen from the wrong side of the tracks who falls for Amanda Jones (Lea Thompson), the popular girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Mary Stuart Masterson is the best friend of Stoltz and is in love with him. It's a really good movie.

• Mar 21, 2020

This really is so similar to Pretty in Pink, as many have said, down to the red-haired kid from the wrong side of the tracks. I wonder if that was planned; same story, gender reversal. That said, I was surprised and pleased at the ending of this one.

• Feb 05, 2020

A film made so that John Hughes could finally have the ending to Pretty in Pink (1986) that he wanted this is one of the lesser remembered teen films that he made during the 1980s. This does not stop the film from feeling very much of a piece with the rest of his oeuvre and it is one of my favorite of his films as it is more directly about class than a lot of his other films that flirt with exploring class warfare and the relationships have more depth and complexity to them. We get the relationship between a nerd and their more attractive friend who is in love with a wealthier person but here the genders are flipped and the two people with a genuine connection fall in love. High school student Keith Nelson, Eric Stoltz, works as a mechanic and does not hope to study at University after high school or pursue a career that will improve his socioeconomic standing. He is best friends with drummer Watts, May Stuart Masterson, who has been accused of being a lesbian and is uncomfortable about her androgynous appearance while hiding her romantic feelings for Nelson. He is attracted to Amanda Jones, Lea Thompson, who comes from a poor family but is in a relationship with the wealthy Hardy Jenns, Craig Sheffer, which makes her more popular than he is. He asks her out on a date and she accepts his offer but he decides to invest his university funds into buying her expensive jewelry which angers his parents. Watts tries to hint to him that she has feelings for him but he does not realize this until it is too late and spends most of his night with Jones. She pushes him to return to his friend and he agrees as he loves her more than Jones. Hughes often had a problem writing female characters that were not sexually harassed by their best friends who supposedly cared about them but seemed to be more interested in them sexually than emotionally. This film has some issues like that as Watts is definitely shown to be interested in her best friend due to his looks but she also seems to appreciate his personality and wants to protect his emotions. The film also touches on her own evolution as she goes from being insecure about her appearance and envying the curvy body that Jones possesses but she comes to understand that she has her own features that are attractive and does not change herself for the man she loves. Watts is possibly his best female character as she decides her own fate and even though she ends up with a boy who had largely ignored her up until that point you do get the sense that she would have been fine without him. There are also specific scenes in the film that I love as the ‘kiss' between Watts and Nelson is surprisingly lovely and the buildup and aftermath to it adds to the romance of the moment. I have noted many times in my reviews of romantic films that I am more excited by the anticipation and buildup to kisses and sex scenes than I am by the actual scenes themselves. This film is smart to include only one scene in which the two kiss and focus more on sexual tension and silent pining from Watts. In the scene she manipulates him into kissing her by goading him on his kissing skills and suggesting that he practice kissing with her. We see the deliberation in his eyes and her desperation as all of her frustration has been simmering over time and when he agrees to kiss her there is the face of somebody who feels great relief. The kiss itself is well shot as they grip one another and there is enough implication of sexuality to get hot under the collar. When the two separate there reactions tell us a lot about their characters as he begins to realize that he is in love with her and she is so flushed and embarrassed that she deflects his questions about her strong response by teasing him. The film makes the right choices so often where many Hughes films make the wrong choices and for that I admire it

• Aug 22, 2019

This movie is truly predictable. It's an exact copy of, "Pretty In Pink." Which is a classic, and it shouldn't be replaced. This movie had no plot-twists and, some of the concepts are very vague and unexplained. If you want to watch an exact copy of Pretty In Pink, this is the movie for you. I'm assuming this movie was only made for money purposes, since again, it's an exact copy. (It was made a year after Pretty In Pink.) This movie should have had at least ONE plot twist, but like any other "movie copy" it was just a copy. Some of the roles were mixed up, but, we all know who is who. (Especially if you've seen Pretty In Pink.) This is just my opinion. And my honest review.

• Apr 11, 2019

This is a representative movie of the 80's high school scene and a love triangle. Mary Stuart Masterson shines in this movie. I think her wit and raw emotions actually steal the scene each time. The only thing I find phony is the purchase of the earrings as a gift to Amanda. It's very contrived. I think Hughes wanted to have that scene at the end where the young man gives them to Watts instead of Amanda. It's not believable that he would spend his savings on her since he already knew Amanda wasn't serious about him and had used him at that point. This story couldn't have been written to be more believable too. I find it hard to believe that a young man would not find Watts attractive enough to warrant his attention while in plain sight. Then again that's what Hughes was shooting for. .the ever present love right in front of you that you hadn't seen.. right under your nose.... so clichà (C), but still works. Interestingly, Lea Thompson who plays Amanda ⦠who'm I find unconvincing as an actor.. married one of this movies' producer, Howard Deutch, after meeting on the set. Lea Thompson conjures some fake tears at one point. They look like someone used an eye dropper on her in between scenes. Whereas Watt's convincingly has real tears covering both eyes at the final reunion scene at the end.

• Apr 06, 2019

an "okay" and cliche plot with unlikeable characters that make stupid choices. after I finished watching this I was mad I wasted my time. good acting but this could have been a lot better.

• Oct 27, 2018

One of my favorite movies.

One of my favorite movies.

• Sep 25, 2018

OMG this is one of my most favorite films from when i was a kid i wanted to be watts

• Jul 15, 2018

Some Kind of Wonderful is probably the most typical and average 80's teen movie of all. It has very little to offer other than cliches that have been done over and over again by countless other films of its age and genre. While it does have some good central performances and a nice comedic side character that steals the show every time, Some Kind of Wonderful is far too involved with its own main plot and romance to understand that these characters could be doing much funnier and more interesting things. Instead, it comes across as somewhat annoying, a little bland, and it just all feels so familiar. Luckily for it, the average 80's teen movie is very fun.