Some Like It Hot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Some Like It Hot Reviews

December 7, 2016
Classic! Unfortunately Marilyn Monroe was on a steady decline at the point. This is evedent in the fact that when you see her on the phone with Tony Curtis she is reading her lines from a chockboard off screen. This is one of Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon's many teamings. Tony Curtis said that kissing Marilyn Monroe was like "kissing Hittler". Jack Lemmon years later said to Robert Osborn (Turner Classic Movies) that it was "great to work with Marilyn. She was such a doll!" I recommend reading Tony Curtis' book about the making of the film. On Blu-ray.
½ December 4, 2016
This is one of the most amusing movies ever made. Even 57 years after its first release the concept of 2 men in drag will keep you entertained throughout. Jack Lemmon's acting in particular propels you through the enjoyable plot, full of innuendo and scheming while touching on the inappropriate nature of prevalent sexual harassment from the period. The camerawork also deserves praise as long shots with moving cameras allows you to enjoy the quick change scenes that take place. Monroe is as enticing as ever in her finest role. This classic comedy is a must see.
December 3, 2016
Funny and entertaining.
November 24, 2016
I kept waiting for something funny.
½ November 12, 2016
A very cheap, old movie. Disliked it a LOT. ????
November 6, 2016
A hilarious gem that took me a while to sit down and watch. Such a classic. Looking for good laughs? Check it out!
October 17, 2016
Top of the pops. One of those perfect movies that rings like a bell. And Marylin Monroe is beautiful. Now there's somebody who is perfect!
September 29, 2016
When Curtis Kisses Monroe... on the lips in drag on stage after watching her sing "I'm Through With Love" is when this comedy transcends its genre and becomes a great film.
September 28, 2016
A romantic farce with verve and energy.
September 27, 2016
You can't say anything bad about this movie. It's an inoffensively funny classic.
September 17, 2016
Voted the best comedy of all time by the AFI, starring the incomparable Marilyn Monroe, who of course never received an oscar, and Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, who dress as women in order to escape gangster George Raft. Joe E. Brown gives a great performance and perhaps the most memorable closing line in movies. Directed by the great Billy Wilder, a tour de force farce.
July 10, 2016
Watched this for the first time. Can see why it's a classic!
½ July 9, 2016
While I know I've never seen Some Like It Hot before, it certainly feels like I have. I cannot count the number of movies/TV shows that have drawn inspiration from this classic. I have to give it credit for doing it first, but sadly that made my experience a little less exciting, because the movie felt (unjustly) derivative. Not only that, but the setup for this movie was so far-fetched. The idea that two guys on the run would coincidentally play the exact instruments that were missing from an all-girl band is ludicrous. Then the thought of anyone believing that Jack Lemmon was an actual woman was crazy. I have to hand it to Tony Curtis because his transformation was impressively convincing, but Lemmon doesn't for one moment look like a woman. It's not a big deal, because the magic of movies forces us to suspend our disbelief more than we would ordinarily, but I wish they had set up the plot a little more convincingly. I think with some tweaks this could be one of the smartest man-on-the-run films ever.

The part that made the movie succeed despite its familiarity was the fact that they had a second guy in drag. You see, while Tony Curtis' plot-line with Marilyn Monroe was entirely predictable, they kept surprising me with the twists and turns of Jack Lemmon's experience. There's one scene where the two guys are back in their room together and Lemmon goes on and on about marrying a man for his money, and I was laughing like crazy. That whole relationship is one that I didn't see coming, and it made the entire film a little bit better. What I struggled with most is the fact that I didn't particularly like Marilyn Monroe's character. It's as if the movie expects us to sympathize with her because she's attractive and she turns on our heroes. But she's dumb, irresponsible, and seriously just wants to seduce/marry a man for his money. The character is redeemed in my eyes by the end, but they needed to establish her from the beginning as more than just a set of boobs and legs in order to make her a sympathetic character. Yet I liked the acting, some of the clever lines in the script, and the little surprises in the story. That was enough to make Some Like It Hot a good film-watching experience. Sadly, it fell short of being the classic I know it has become for many other film fans.
½ July 1, 2016
88/100, or an A-
Not the "best comedy ever made", should that actually be a thing, but quite clever, funny, and endearing, and filled with excellent set-piece choreography; of course, I would expect nothing less from Billy Wilder. There's just as much belly-laugh broad humor as there is understated chuckles, like the way Curtis and Lemmon's characters overact in terms of voice and poise when in their various disguises, be they playing conservatory-graduate band-women or vaguely British oil barons. Also, the film makes some bold-for-its-time hints towards social commentary on male/female double standards and homosexuality in the '50s, which is a lot better than what I can say for a later (and also much less believable) variation on the drag premise, Mrs. Doubtfire, which is casually transphobic. Still could do without the skeezy trombone music that plays whenever Monroe makes her first couple appearances, but this is kind of a progressive film, and a final nail in the coffin for the Hayes Code to boot!
May 15, 2016
Entretenida y fuente de la que beben muchas historias después...
May 1, 2016
Unfortunately, today not many are familiar with the legendary, Oscar winning director Billy Wilder. This movie happens to be one of my favorite comedies of all times which stars Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe. This flawless script is filled with great lines and is undoubtedly a screwball comedy masterpiece. The plot is simple: Two band players witness the St. Valentine's Massacre and go on the run. They end up in drag and join an all-woman's band in Florida and... well, things do not do as it should. Lemon and Curtis walked around Goldwyn Studios and into the woman's restroom to fix their makeup to see if they could "pass". They did more than pass and along with Monroe create an enduring treasure that definitely holds up over time. The last line is "Nobody's perfect", but this comes as close as you can to perfection.
April 16, 2016
This should be 100%. Probably the best comedy on film. Just perfect. Curtis is amazing as is Lemmon... but the Curtiss "impression" of Cary Grant ranks as one one of the greatest movie takes of all time. Priceless. Immortal. Genius.
My all-time favourite.
April 6, 2016
Hotter than Hot!!! Lemmon is marvelous as the womanizing bass player, and tony curtis plays a fine role himself. I found myself laughing at things that weren't funny to others, but funny to me. Marilyn Monroe is just so excellent at being a total ditz, and reallly scores her umbers (musically and in other ways...wut a perv). It's the original "white chicks", but God forbid any1 to actually call that a remake of this@ Some Like it Hot is the perfect cat and mouse movie! It's the perfect musical! And the absolute best comedy!!!
April 2, 2016
I have seen "Some Like It Hot" several times but never on a big screen with great sound. So thanks to The Zonita in Ampthill for showing this absolute classic the way it should be seen. I don't need to add much more except it is still very, very funny and brilliantly acted by everyone. Wonderful!
March 27, 2016
A direção de Billy Wilder confere agilidade à narrativa, de história simples. E o trio protagonista garante as risadas com suas atuações.