Some Like It Hot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Some Like It Hot Reviews

½ January 14, 2018
It is February 1929 in the city of Chicago, during the era of prohibition. Joe (Tony Curtis) is an irresponsible jazz saxophone player, gambler and ladies' man; his friend Jerry (Jack Lemmon) is a sensible jazz double-bass player; both are working in a speakeasy (disguised as a funeral home) owned by mob gangster "Spats" Colombo (George Raft). When the joint is raided by the police after being tipped off by informant "Toothpick" Charlie (George E. Stone), Joe and Jerry flee-only to accidentally witness Spats and his henchmen exacting his revenge on "Toothpick" and his own gang . Penniless and in a mad rush to get out of town, the two musicians take a job with Sweet Sue (Joan Shawlee) and her Society Syncopators, an all-female band headed to Miami. Disguised as women and renaming themselves Josephine and Daphne, they board a train with the band and their male manager, Bienstock. Before they board the train, Joe and Jerry notice Sugar Kane (Marilyn Monroe), the band's vocalist and ukulele player. Joe and Jerry become enamored of Sugar and compete for her affection while maintaining their disguises. Sugar confides that she has sworn off male saxophone players, who have stolen her heart in the past and left her with "the fuzzy end of the lollipop". She has set her sights on finding a sweet, bespectacled millionaire in Florida. During the forbidden drinking and partying on the train, Josephine and Daphne become intimate friends with Sugar, and have to struggle to remember that they are supposed to be girls and cannot make a pass at her. Once in Miami Joe and Jerry have to maintain their disguises and try to stay alive from "Spats" Colombo´s henchmen...

Some Like It Hot received widespread acclaim from critics, and is considered among the best films of all time. It received six Academy Award nominations, including Best Actor for Lemmon and Best Director and Best Screenplay for Wilder, the latter along with I.A.L. Diamond. By 1962, the film had grossed $14 million in the US. Roger Ebert wrote about the movie, "Wilder's 1959 comedy is one of the enduring treasures of the movies, a film of inspiration and meticulous craft." John McCarten of The New Yorker referred to the film as "a jolly, carefree enterprise". The Guardian's Richard Roud claims that Wilder comes "close to perfection" with the film. Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus reads, "Some Like It Hot: A spry, quick-witted farce that never drags." "Some Like It Hot" opened to largely positive reviews and is today considered to be one of the greatest film comedies of all time. It was voted as the top comedy film by the American Film Institute on their list on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs poll in 2000. The film is also notable for featuring cross dressing, and for playing with the idea of homosexuality, which led to its being produced without approval from the Motion Picture Production Code. The code had been gradually weakening in its scope during the early 1950s, due to increasing social tolerance for previously taboo topics in film, but it was still officially enforced. The overwhelming success of "Some Like It Hot" is considered one of the final nails in the coffin for the Hays Code.

"Some Like It Hot" is a classic both as a film and as a story to a certain extent. This screwball comedy-like farce combines humour and topics such as cross dressing, homosexuality, alcohol problems, music, love, sex, mobsters and violence. It has a wide range of colourful characters despite the fact it was shot in black and white. Marilyn Monroe is as ditzy, sexy and innocent as she can be (according to the behind the scenes info she was truly struggling during the shoot and that effected her future career) while we get really magnificent performances from Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis as Joe and Jerry and director Billy Wilder shows us how to make a proper screwball comedy.
December 21, 2017
Of all her movies I've seen, this one has to be my favorite. Its such a lighthearted funny film. I love how far Joe's character goes in order to get Marilyn to fall in love with him. And the songs "I wana be loved by you" and "I'm through with love" is art depicting life. There is something mesmerizing about her in any of her films because she is so beautiful and she isn't strong enough to hide her vulnerability.
November 10, 2017
Esta cinta dirigida por el gran Billy Wilder es una de las más grandes evidencias del irresistible encanto del cine. Dirigida de una manera experta y tremendamente entretenida, "Some Like it Hot" es una comedia romántica de enredos en la que Jerry y Joe, dos músicos procedentes de Chicago (Jack Lemmon y Tony Curtis), se disfrazan como mujeres para evitar ser asesinados, ya que fueron testigos de la "Masacre del día de San Valentín", llevada a cabo por la mafia.

Disfrazados, los músicos se unen a una orquesta femenina y se embarcan en un viaje hacia La Florida. Allí conocen a la cantante Sugar Kane (interpretada por Marilyn Monroe en el mejor papel de su carrera), quien sueña con casarse con un millonario. Joe (Curtis) siente una gran atracción sexual por Kane y se disfraza como millonario para seducirla, mientras que Jerry (Lemmon) es perseguido por un millonario (Joe E. Brown), quien se siente atraído por su versión femenina.

Aquí, el sexo se transforma en amor, el interés material se convierte en interés afectivo y las barreras de los sexos se traspasan. "Some Like it Hot" es una de las mejores comedias en la historia del cine, Marilyn Monroe exuda sexo por cada uno de sus poros y Tony Curtis y Jack Lemmon no pueden estar mejor. Además, incluye también uno de los mejores finales en la historia del cine.

¿Qué más se le puede pedir a una película?
½ August 22, 2017
It's Bosom Buddies meets Sister Act.
August 3, 2017
This movie is hilarious, turning an somewhat interesting plot into one of the funniest movies to ever be crafted within the film industry.
August 3, 2017
<3 This movie is amazing! From the very beginning untill the end it's pure gold. <3
August 1, 2017
Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis are hilarious in this screw ball comedy Some Like it Hot. It's plot is unique and the situations that Wilder creates for the two actors are witty and extremely funny. Marilyn Monroe such a beauty on screen and she was a great actress but her character wasn't as interesting as the two male leads which was a lost.
½ July 20, 2017
Some Like It Hot's wonderful cast that bring a genius script to life. Curtis & Lemmon are an iconic duo that aspiring comics need to watch. The cinematography in Some Like It Hot nothing flashy; the visual excitement comes largely from fantastic slapstick and drama. It's awesome. Some Like It Hot is also a film with something gutsy to say. The homosexual experimentation/drag theme was a big thing at time of release. Marylin Monroe plays Marylin Monroe, and with wonderful direction and production, the comedy is golden; you mustn't miss Some Like It Hot. Some Like It Hot, absolutely, is worthy of a 4.5 star rating. A true classic, both of comedy and drama, which will likely remain timeless forever.
July 2, 2017
very funny performances from Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon dressed as women Trying to hide from the mob. Typical performance from marilyn Monroe, glamorous as ever
½ June 16, 2017
This film is pretty clever. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis dress up as girls to escape the mafia. Probably was an unusual plot back in the 50s. Even though the plot is unusual, the film is great. Jack and Tony did a great job playing both genders. Marilyn Monroe also did good in this film. The 1920s jazz background was also neat. This film is also really funny. A definite watch for all movie fans.

Rating: 9.3/10
June 15, 2017
10 out of 10:

Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis make an excellent duo in this insanely smart and laugh out loud funny.
June 11, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time.
June 10, 2017
It's what all comedies should aim to be - witty and fun. The actors look as if they enjoyed themselves thoroughly in this highly enjoyable film. Marilyn never looked more luscious.
May 4, 2017
Billy Wilder's finest film entertains on all levels. A true comedy classic you won't forget. (First and only full viewing - 4/26/2010)
March 21, 2017
SPOILER: Jerry: Oh no you don't! Osgood, I'm gonna level with you. We can't get married at all.
Osgood: Why not?
Jerry: Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde.
Osgood: Doesn't matter.
Jerry: I smoke! I smoke all the time!
Osgood: I don't care.
Jerry: Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player.
Osgood: I forgive you.
Jerry: [tragically] I can never have children!
Osgood: We can adopt some.
Jerry: But you don't understand, Osgood! Ohh...
[Jerry finally gives up and pulls off his wig]
Jerry: [normal voice] I'm a man!
Osgood: [shrugs] Well, nobody's perfect!
[Jerry looks on with disbelief as Osgood continues smiling with indifference. Fade out] :-) ;-)
½ March 17, 2017
I'm with Woody Allen: I just don't 'get' SLIH. Very hard to explain why it leaves me cold. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis are expert farceurs, Billy Wilder has helmed several fine movies across different genres. The premise is clever and worked out logically. But it's JUST NOT FUNNY. Every sequence is laboured and overextended. All the air is squeezed out. Whereas the genius of The Odd Couple, say, is that the viewer is allowed in and the performers are allowed to riff and extemporise. Anyway, not for the first time I gave up after an hour. Not my bag.
½ February 12, 2017
A hilarious comedy, filled with tons of great situational humor and gags. Very good acting from the three leads and especially Jack Lemmon. Each scene seems to be filled with a little joke and repeated viewings may be necessary to catch all of them. Funny, entertaining, and even the final scene has the best joke of the whole movie in my opinion
January 1, 2017
An all time classic comedy with some tremendously funny performances by its three leads. I would dare say that THIS was Marilyn Monroe's best performance. She's just so naturally funny; and Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis are equally hilarious as the two bumbling musicians on the run.

This is a very likable movie that holds up incredibly well. Check it out and have a good laugh.
½ January 1, 2017
Not the funniest comedy but really charming. Especially Jack Lemmon and his face expressions! Also i'm all for taking down sleazy men.
December 20, 2016
An old school comedy that still works today for the most part. Marilyn Monroe, well... as the crazy, perv millionaire in this says, "ZOWEE!"