Some Like It Hot Reviews

• Aug 20, 2019

Funny, heartwarming and wonderfully shot. Some Like It Hot benefits from it’s brilliant on-screen chemistry between Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon and the late great Marilyn Monroe.

• Aug 19, 2019

Some like it hot... and delightful!

Some like it hot... and delightful!

• Aug 11, 2019

Taken me far to long t watch but it is excellent. Excellent plot and pace, made me smirk quite often and Marilyn. I get it now Marilyn, I get it, she is wow. Best film I've seen for a long time.

• Michael K
    Aug 10, 2019

It's my favorite Billy Wilder film! It's the first time I've seen it on the big screen. What a wonderful treat.

• Jul 13, 2019

This was a hilarious hit, with two men dressing us as ladies and cross-dressing as ladies. This was the first film I watched with Marilyn Monroe as well.

• Jul 10, 2019

A deliriously funny comedy bordering on the absurd. Billy Wilder's farcical comedy Some Like It Hot (1959) is a delightful breeze of wit and good times. Wilder's direction is sleek and fast paced. He always focuses on the character exchanges in order to keep you grounded by their dramatic emotions during all the silly antics. The scenarios are clever setups for ludicrous punchlines. I think Wilder knew exactly how to bring out the best in each actor. Tony Curtis is excellent dressing up in drag as he plays it with a subtle grace. His lady persona is fun to watch as he grapples with loving Marilyn Monroe and staying in character. Curtis also pulls off a hilarious Cary Grant impression when he pretends to be a billionaire. Curtis gives a funny performance as a woman that is nuanced enough where you might believe him, an outrageous delivery with his Cary Grant impersonation as a rich bachelor, and an endearing role as a saxophonist down on his luck with desires to seduce Marilyn Monroe. You like Curtis because his character knows he's no good, so he tries to be honest, but it all works out in the end. Then, there's Jack Lemmon. The always funny comedic actor is forced into his dress and cannot resist the ladies. Ironically, his is the character that must woo the man for his fortune and favors, while Curtis gets to make out with Marilyn Monroe. Lemmon's comedic chemistry and timing alongside Tony Curtis is wonderful. They play well off each other and find the humor in each increasingly ridiculous situation. Lemmon's character is over the top and never believable as a woman, but that is really where the laughter comes from with him. Notably, Marilyn Monroe is gorgeous, voluptuous, and alluring. But Monroe is so memorable in Some Like It Hot, not because of her near nude outfits or tantalizing figure, but also because she comes across as so sweet and genuine. Monroe makes her "Sugar" character a likable lady trying to find love after a string of bad romances. You want her to be happy and she feels so devastating in the dramatic moments with Tony Curtis. Her singing voice is lovely and fun to get lost in as she was a born performer. I only would criticize the fact that she's clearly not playing her ukulele, but that's part of the joke at times. In short, Some Like It Hot is a pleasant watch as the writing is so sharp and the direction is so brisk. Tony Curtis is cool and hilarious. Jack Lemmon is insanely funny. Lastly, Marilyn Monroe is a lovely dream of easy personality and sultry looks. Some Like It Hot is just sublime comedy in masterful cinematic technique.

• Jul 07, 2019

Some Like It Hot is absolutely brilliant. Jack Lemmon's comedic timing is nothing short of brilliant. Marilyn was absolutely at her best. Tony Curtis was good as well...but not quite up to Lemmon's level. The final line in this movie is the funniest I have ever heard...and Lemmon's facial expression afterward i hysterical.

• May 17, 2019

Fun good pacing and Im sure having two guys dress in drag was pretty shocking back then.

• Feb 04, 2019

This is my all-time favorite comedy. I think it is truly a timeless masterpiece. It is also my favorite Marilyn Monroe film - and Jack Lemmon is just hilarious.

• Jan 19, 2019

One of the best comedies of all time. Impossible not to laugh from start to finish, yet you come out with tears in your eyes.