Something's Gotta Give - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something's Gotta Give Reviews

July 7, 2017
Something's Gotta Give is directed and written by Nancy Meyers, and it stars Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, and Keanu Reeves in a romantic comedy about an old music businessman that was dating a young girl that she took him to her house, and when he was having a bit of a heart attack, her mother comes in to save him a bit, and he has to stay with a play-writer alone. This is the first Nancy Meyers film that I've seen, and I don't think I was into romantic comedies at the time even though I did like it at the time. So to watch something in vacation, I of course went with this, and so I really enjoyed it. The acting is great from Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, and they have fantastic chemistry as it's the best part of the film. The dialogue is well-written that Nancy Meyers really knows how to write romantic chemistry, and the characters are three-dimensional. The plot gets more interesting as things get more weird for the main characters, even though it becomes a sitcom at some parts. The humor is very genuine, and a lot of them gets a laugh out of me thanks to the sharp timing from Nicholson and Keaton. Another issue that I have with the movie is Keanu Reeves, not that he isn't bad in it as he's great in it, but it feels like he's in the movie to create a problem for the main characters, and he's in this movie for like a fourth of the film. His character wasn't the deal breaker for the film as the strength lies in the smart writing and great acting that I need to watch more of Nancy Meyers films.
May 15, 2017
When what we don't see early on we see later on in life. When we see love with deep emotion while others see love with all its superficiality we font see eye to eye until we switch perspectives to see we meet in the middle with eachother. When life is not to late to see we get second chances to live life and love with eachother. When we do see we make our lives a comedy when people like us don't act this way. But we see not many people are not like us, some are, some have less liberties and freedoms as we do and less time to see that there is no time like the present. When we clearly see we are all adults here to not see the awkwardness in the situation but mature subject matter.
March 11, 2017
Humorous, entertaining.
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 2, 2017
It this is only getting a 71% rating, then it's confirmation that the reviews here are SKEWED. This is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, and while it's a chick flick, I challenge anyone not to laugh out loud at the entire first half of the movie. EVery actor is perfection -- at the top of their game -- and the statement this movie makes about the gender difference as we age could not be made in a more witty, pointed, hilarious fashion. Perfectly cast and perfect set, Something's Gotta Give is perfection. I could watch it over & over again. If Rotten Tomatoes were geared toward women (same w IDMB) this movie would be hovering at 100%. Just sayin. Oh and the beach house is worth watching alone. Nancy Meyer goes to great lengths on her sets and I literally have screen shots of some of the rooms on my screensaver
½ November 1, 2016
Really too boring for me to continue on..
½ October 22, 2016
Composed by the cute, sappy, sentimental stuff standard rom-coms are made of, "Something's Gotta Give" may cleverly acknowledge rom-com tropes, but never does it exceed them.
October 11, 2016
Trainspotting (1996)
September 30, 2016
Strong performances with a strong script, about a real subject....
½ September 4, 2016
Very funny and touching. A great rainy-dayer. Nicholson and Keaton are charming. It is, though, like a lot of Meyers's work, slightly predictable.
August 21, 2016
Okay this movie was funny, and romantic. I liked the movie it was entertaining. I guess I like this movie a lot because of Jack Nicholson. Honestly the script was good writing.
May 10, 2016
Agreablement surprise. Je me suis laisser prendre par cette charmante comédie romantique. J'en ai ris (surtout le moment ou elle n'arrete pas de pleurer.
May 1, 2016
The plot is familiar, but sometimes it's kind of fun to watch a movie like this as a getaway from reality. Nicholson and Keaton are stellar, and director Nancy Meyers knows how to make smart romantic comedies. Something's Gotta Give is sincere and tender.
April 24, 2016
Light entertainment but it does have some funny moments and Jack Nicholson. Quite liked this, not sure why, but I did.
April 22, 2016
DIANE KEATON IS GOD.
½ February 16, 2016
For hardcore romance fans of a certain age only. Don't let the big names fool you, you'll be watching shameless pandering for the target demographic audience and an insult for everyone else.
January 22, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie...it's funny, sad, loving, a perfect girl movie!
½ January 16, 2016
Somehow this film is charming
January 7, 2016
Though it has its funny moments and there are some great performances from Nicholson and Keaton, the movie ends up playing out like your average romantic comedy
½ January 6, 2016