Sonny Reviews

• Sep 02, 2019

One of my favorite Nicholas Cage performances.

One of my favorite Nicholas Cage performances.

• Mar 07, 2019

Well, at least I tried it I was so excited to see Nic Cage making a directorial debut and even more so to learn that James Franco was taking the lead. God what a let down. Franco may has well have been on sleeping pills the entire movie, which never really goes anywhere. I appreciate Cage's love of New Orleans and can get down with the atmosphere of the story, but unless you have to watch this at gunpoint, I wouldn't waste your time. If you're thinking of buying it, don't. Just message me and you can have my copy. I don't want it back.

• Dec 18, 2017

Great acting by Franco!

Great acting by Franco!

• Jan 26, 2015

The movie lost me the moment Nicolas Cage (the film's director) shows up....being Nicolas Cage.

• Jun 04, 2013

Well this was incredibly disappointing. It seems like it should have had quite a bit going for it: Nic Cage directing, James Franco starring and New Orleans as the setting. But really, it seems that Nic Cage can't direct, Franco gives a pretty restrained performance in this and New Orleans is barely shown at all in the movie, and when it is, it doesn't do much to add to the atmosphere. The story is lame, I didn't care about any of the characters, and it just felt all-around vacant, like there was nothing here that really wanted you to get invested in the movie. The only reason I'm rating it so high is for Nic Cage's cameo, and that's only a few minutes long out of this almost 2 hour long movie (it really didn't need to be that long, that was another problem). Anyway, Nic Cage plays this rich coke-fueled pimp dressed in a hideous yellow suit, and for the couple minutes he's on screen, that's the high point of the movie. And even that was one of his more forgettable characters. So yeah, I can't really recommend this to anyone. Not to Cage fans, not to Franco fans, not to fans of seeing New Orleans in cinema...it's just an overall dud.

• May 26, 2013

Good acting by James Franco, but sordid and depressing story. Even Brenda Blethyn wasn't good in this one, and she usually rises above her material. At least the ending wasn't terrible, but Nick Cage's direction was. He should have remembered his own roles better.

• Apr 11, 2013

Yes, it's terrible, a bad film. It's funny though, it's often unintentionally funny and sometimes it's clearly supposed to be but it's a relatively enjoyable experience if you allow yourself to mock every aspect of it and avoid it's attempts at trying to be a real movie. The script is terrible- I can almost see why Cage worked on this movie- it's got some similarities to some of Cage's older stuff, Wild At Heart for example and a few others but they aren't particularly good movies, they tend to be undercooked and generally ambitious failures. They have potential though but this one is too ridiculous to have any real chance at being good, or even average. I sense a lot of Rumble Fish in this one with Franco's similarities to Dillon but Rumble Fish is pretty interesting and has some great performances- this does not. There's not much to say about Cage's directing- if his aim was to bring out great performances then he failed, if he was aiming to make it look stylish then its acceptable but nothing special, maybe he was aiming for something intentionally ridiculous and funny. (that sounds like a long shot but it's really not- the best performance in this movie is his five minute cameo as a coke-addicted pimp and it's absolutely ridiculously beautiful in all it's glory) Even if that is what he was going for though, the performances don't reflect that (Blethyn does and Stanton does a great job at bringing some seriousness to the table without ever seeming to take himself too seriously) but Franco is deadly serious and it's pretty laughable, I don't mean to bully him- he has done some good work but this reminds me of his poem: a deeply serious portrayal of something that's utterly ridiculous. I fear Franco just doesn't have the warning in his head that tells him when something sucks basically. I dunno, he's probably not a bad guy and his acting is technically good but in this case it's overly-serious and not right for the film at all. (He got a D in acting school, I can say this shit so get off my back fangirls.) Suvari's performance is harder to judge- I think she is closer to the mark of seriousness while capturing the right tone for the film but her character is typecast and limited so there's no real development to judge. The script is the real failure out of everything though, it's simply terrible, the premise is fine and there's some intentionally funny moments and I can see how, if the tone was correct, some of the script would have worked but no, just no. There's some themes that are kind of interesting but they are barely even touched on, you have to make them up for yourself- you have to imagine how the film could have worked and that's not a good sign. Overall this is a failed project- quite the train wreck for everyone involved really and a terrible choice of film for Cage to start directing- I'd be interested to see him working with something good and see what he brings to the mix (I feel like all he did here was the brilliant cameo and telling Franco to break things a lot- which Franco didn't do very well). It's just a disappointment really- it looks like it'd be worth watching but there's nothing special there.

• Dec 20, 2012

I tried watching this...really, really bad. Cage should stick to acting -- he's good at it.

• Jul 23, 2012

This movie is so wierd but good! Very interesting storyline. Nicolas Cage directing is subperb! James Franco played Sonny to the T.

• Jul 16, 2012

Good job Cage! This was a great movie.

Good job Cage! This was a great movie.