Sophie's Choice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sophie's Choice Reviews

October 2, 2016
Meryl Streep is a genius. Heart breaking Holocaust movie.
August 25, 2016
Compelling story but tedious at some points. Meryl Streep though...
July 17, 2016
Not something I will ever watch again. But probably required viewing for anyone wanting to go into film. Soul-scarring, spirit-crushing, required-viewing.
June 29, 2016
A film that circles around a character with an unveiling past by diegetic patience, bloating the melodrama while trying out aesthetics to help justify the length as a distraction from the slow pacing. The successful quality was typically the performances, particularly Meryl Streep at her usual level of talents getting into character well. Despite how well adapted it turned out on film, it faltered to be an okay film as a one-time viewing after witnessing the titular character's story in the present and the past's horrible outcome that's not watchable. (B-)
½ June 22, 2016
Although some of it feels out of place, Sophie's Choice is a classic movie featuring top notch performances and a gripping, mysterious story.
June 20, 2016
"Sophie's Choice" is a film that everybody should see at least once. It has its slow moments (which magnify the 2 1/2-hour runtime) but discovering the choice that Sophie has to make is a cinematic rite of passage. Meryl Streep's Oscar-winning performance is nothing short of perfection. The demanding role required her to perfect a Polish accent, speak in multiple languages, and interpret one character throughout several phases of life. She visually transitions between a vibrant woman, an ill immigrant, and a prisoner with a shaved head in a concentration camp. The accent is so impeccable that you constantly forget that this is an American actress, and she does it all while expressing an incredible depth of emotion. For everything that this film lacks in pacing, it is redeemed through Streep's flawless performance that may very well be the greatest of all time. Kevin Kline manages to keep up with her through his multifaceted character, making his highs very high and his lows devastatingly low. The main disappointment of the film is Peter MacNicol. I find his character to be an annoying third wheel that lacks emotion in highly emotional situations. He doesn't undergo the transformation that he should and is easily overshadowed by Kline and Streep. Even though the main character is a complete dud, the film creates several amazing moments such as the romantic piano sequence, Kline's two irrational outbursts, and obviously all of the concentration camp scenes. I feel that these moments are some of the best ever produced and yet, I agree with the fact that the film was not nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. It is beautiful to watch but there is a lot of dead space. The foul-mouthed female character that dates Stingo (whose I can't even identify by name because she isn't important enough to be mentioned in any synopsis) could have been completely written out and saved us 15 minutes. There is enough occurring in the present and in the flashbacks that we do not need irrelevant deviations to lengthen the film. "Sophie's Choice" can be a tough film because of its slow pace but Streep's performance and the secret that is revealed at the end make it worth pushing through. You will never forget "the scene" for as long as you live.
½ June 13, 2016
Meryl Streeps performance isn't enough to save this thin, dull drama.
May 28, 2016
Holocaust story well done. Reenactments in europe worked up to a point. I get Sophie's guilt but she was sticking with the crazy guy because she lost her sanity herself at some point. The story had to end somewhere I suppose so the author chose death but I do not believe a survivor would give up life. Reality shows that they had a tendency to overaccomplish instead. As far as I know.
½ May 13, 2016
Sophie's Choice (1982) ?? 1/2
Some felt odyssey of lonely mother's descent into the dismal, harsh Nazi controlled camp where she decides which of her children lives or dies was extraordinary. I thought it was fatally slow-moving. Judge for yourself. However, the performance by Meryl Streep and direction at climax are undeniably spellbinding. Kline is compelling too; Streep won well-deserved Oscar.
May 1, 2016
Finally watched (Had I watched it on Pearl 930? Anywaz) the film which brought the almighty Meryl Streep her 1st Leading Actress Oscar.
½ April 10, 2016
MELLOW-DRAMA to the extreme!! Did enjoy Metryl Streep's German episode, at least the director had the foresight of doing it right in original German, but the characters, esp. young Stingo, is just a mess from start to finish. itd all about choices, and I wouldn't have cast someone else other than Peter MacNicol. As manic as Kevin Kline was, I wouldn't sleep with Stingo.
½ March 27, 2016
Sophie's Choice is a solid movie. It does have its unforgettable as well as charming scenes, Meryl Streep's performance is admittedly great, the score is very good and moving and the first half is engaging with fine dialogue and great character interactions, but the second half ruined it for me as it went with the clichéd flashback structure, the suddenly dark and serious approach lead to a jarring shift in tone and the film is too long and sometimes dull. It is perfectly fine, but far from great as it is a typical product of its time.
½ January 18, 2016
The cliche is the truth: Meryl Streep gives one of the great film performances. If the film has aged, she has not.
December 21, 2015
Tremendous acting performances. Meryl Streep's can be easily considered on of the greatest in film history.
½ December 20, 2015
Meryl Streep was awesome in this! I am so glad she won an Oscar in 1982 for her role. I truly loved Meryl Streep's character as Sophie. Overall a very good movie. Highly recommend.
½ December 18, 2015
This movie is long and overdrawn, but Streep's performance is captivating.
October 9, 2015
There are 2 big problems with me watching Sophie's Choice for the first time in 2015:

1) I'm too accustomed to seeing Kevin Kline in comedies, and his acting style doesn't shift all that much for dramas. As a result I found it funny instead of heart-breaking when he went crazy and started screaming at people. It just gave me visions of A Fish Called Wanda.

2) I know all about Sophie's Choice, and have even seen the choice scene multiple times before sitting down to watch it. Without the mystery of why Sophie is the way she is, the movie didn't have a whole lot to grab my attention.

The best moments were definitely when it was in the flashbacks of WWII, because it held a lot more drama and intrigue. The more modern scenes were flat and lacked a lot of emotion for me. In fact, the entire character of Stingo added nothing of value to the film, and any time they went off on a tangent that only focused on him I was totally checked out. Not a horrible movie because it does have a decent story structure, but certainly not one that I need to see more than once.
½ August 31, 2015
One of a kind artistic movies with mesmerizing portrait by Streep. From the start it swings like a pendulum to keep guessing what come next but, the down side is too lengthily sequences that make us fall from the swing.
August 12, 2015
Sophie's Choice is an excellent film. It is about a mother has to make a very difficult decision. Kevin Kline and Meryl Streep give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Alan J. Pakula did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Sophie's Choice is a must see.