Soul Power - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soul Power Reviews

July 12, 2016
Not only is this documentary about a legendary music / sports event in Zaire pulsing, unbiased, joyous, and socially powerful; it also has the distinction of having the greatest bongo solo ever caught on film.
November 24, 2014
Companion piece to the Ali Foreman doc 'When We Were Kings' focusing on the music festival of Zaire 1974. As much as the footage is good it's not until the later parts does this really get going with the arrival of James Brown - I only wish the whole of his set was released instead!
June 15, 2014
An important musical time capsule.
½ August 30, 2013
Feel good movie of ever. I want to climb into the screen
½ February 21, 2013
This is a time capsule of the 70s like no other, and should be recognized for the cultural and musical event that it is, right alongside the Rumble in the Jungle's status among fights. Watch through the credits - James Brown will infuse you with soul power (mustache not included).
½ December 4, 2012
Didn't see much of this when it ran on VH1 late one night, but I loved what I saw!
October 17, 2012
Saw this one at 9 in the morning one weekend during TIFF a few years back and it worked better than a morning coffee to get the juices flowing. Make no doubts about it. This is James Brown's film. A nice companion to When We Were Kings.
½ July 22, 2012
This is an interesting companion piece to my favourite documentary "When We Were kings". This one focuses on the concert that was to coincide with the "Rumble in the Jungle", the Ali/Foreman fight in Zaire. some top-notch talent is featured here such as bill Withers, B.B. King and James Brown. obviously the music is great, but there's also some excellent behind the scenes footage. Check it out!
November 16, 2011
i loved to see Kinshasa of 1974... + good music... ^^
July 1, 2011
An awesome movie! Maybe not the best documentary, as it doesn't exactly go into too much detail about the Zaire '74 show, or its production. But just seeing and hearing the performances and the energy of all the artists was inspiring! This was a promising time for black artists and you got the sense that they all were very happy/blessed to be a part of such a monumental event! I'm hoping that more of the concert footage can be released on home video!
April 21, 2011
Entertaining documentary (featuring many fantastic performances) capturing the legendary 1974 soul music festival in Zaire that accompanied the legendary Ali/Foreman fight. A necessary companion piece to WHEN WE WERE KINGS.
½ February 3, 2011
de a iesit abia in 2008??? sa moare James Brown?
nu cred k am vazut vreoun om negru sa vorbeasca cu atata ura cum a vorbit ali
incredibila energia si vocea lu James Brown
January 18, 2011
Pretty cool loose doc of music festival accompanying the Rumble in the Jungle. Some Great footage both on and back stage, as well as in Africa itself. Some excellent performances by Celia Cruz and BB King, James Brown etc. Sort of like a black Woodstock without all the hippies. Refreshing to see black artists from this era.

Ali is in top form explaining racism in America. He pretty much nails it.
November 24, 2010
Would have been spectacular with James Brown, BB King alone. With Mohammed Ali this movie is more than just black pride and American African soul - it's political, entertaining, a time capsule of an era.
½ July 29, 2010
great doc that combines concert footage with backstage material
July 18, 2010
Bring on more concert films! This one is marvelous, especially James Brown and B.B. King!
July 4, 2010
It's great soul live documentary movie."God Father of Soul"JB, B.B.King, Bill Withers and more played so hot sound.
This movie is not only soul consert.Muhammad Ali's fight gave the dream and hope to a lot of blacks.I'm not white and black. But maybe I know the sorrow that the black received.
I think music festival in Zaire in 1974 was a first step to freedom.
June 27, 2010
i thought i would enjoy this more than i actually did. i found that it dragged on too much, but my favorite bits were the short, candid interviews with the performers, moments with the people of africa, and james brown's performances (stellar, of course.)
May 31, 2010
This is an intensely moving historical documentation with great behind the scenes footage of some of the greatest musicians of both continents. I only wish they would have included more concert footage. On the down side, the camera work is rather haphazard and the doc completely lacks the African perspective of what that concert meant for the people of Zaire and the African musicians (most of them superstars in most of Africa).