Soylent Green Reviews

• 3d ago

A classic cautionary tale who's message may ring true as long as it exists. A movie everyone should see with a message that should make everyone question their self: ‘what exactly is this we are being given to eat?' The older it gets, the more prophetic and better it becomes. Soylent Green has a better message the older it is.

• 4d ago

To start with its plot is not a Hollywood original story. Its based on "Make Room! Make Room!" a 1966 science fiction novel by Harry Harrison exploring the consequences of unchecked population growth on society. This film adaption is alright , its main fault is in its uneven play in its plot of the film. Charlton Heston is good like usual. I cracked a smirk at his dramatic end line they give him similiar to Planet of the Apes. I think it is all too possible and all too realistic that 'Soylent Green' could happen at some point of mankind getting too large and exhausting its resources as well as possible eco-damages (FYI that is disgusting). Overall decent , thought provoking and entertaining. Worth a watch.

• Feb 19, 2021

Aside from Heston’s memorable last lines there’s not much else to admire. Tame dystopian future (climate change run amok) where the evil plot isn’t sinister enough. Look for Dick Van Patten in a small role.

• Jan 18, 2021

(Warning: Spoilers) Soylent Green, an early 1970's dystopian sci-fi thriller, is interesting due largely to its setting of a grim, dreary 2022 New York City which is impoverished. polluted and overpopulated. Though most of its predictions for the future didn't come to fruition (for instance, it predicts that by the year 2022 there will be 40 million people in NYC alone) some of its takes like its portrayal of a greenhouse gas effect ring true. The streets are overcrowded and packed with drifters lazing on stoops and ledges. Most of the city's population is poor, with only the elite being able to afford spacious apartments complete with concubines referred to as "furniture". Against this backdrop we have our main character, a detective, engaged in a murder mystery of an executive of the influential Soylent Industries, which controls the nation's food supply and sells the popular artificially produced wafers "Soylent Green." By the end of the film, the detective learns the shocking, terrible truth about Soylent Green, that it is processed using human corpses. What I found most intriguing about this movie was that it was made in the second half of the last century and it essentially predicted what today would be like. Though many of its predictions seemed far-fetched, and its attempts to portray our technological advancements fell short (the video game/arcade being played by a woman was too crude and the computers being used looked primitive), at least it made attempts at predicting the near future. Overall, an entertaining spectacle that keeps you guessing until the end.

• Jan 16, 2021

Much like The Sixth Sense, Soylent Green is most for famous for its twist ending and a single line of dialogue, but unlike Sith Sense, it doesn't really generate or sustain a lot of interest over its runtime. The film is mostly a standard ‘hardnosed cop investigates a crime which is more complex than it first appears' narrative, with the social commentary mostly pushed into the background. It does present a very bleak vision of the future, with overpopulation causing devastating climactic consequence, but the films doesn't fully commit to it. The romance comes out of nowhere, isn't interesting and should have been omitted entirely, there's not much suspense, and the twist ending is nowhere near as shocking as it once was. Heston makes for a likeable hero, and the film does give us things to ponder in regards to our future, but too much of it felt slow, meandering and pointless.

• Jan 05, 2021

A cheap knock-off of other Great Movies, This movie knower close to The last Man on Earth.

• Dec 17, 2020

Soylent Green is a combination of a half-baked noir mystery and ambitious worldbuilding, done to excess. Heston's acting feels like a Bogart caricature, trying for reserved and cool but pumping the role too full of hot air. The setting is one of the most distinctive elements of the film, diving deeply into a timely environmentally-distressed dystopia, but diving so deep that it hits its head; a quarter of the film's dialogue seems to be Heston marvelling at some incredibly basic luxury, some of which feel like they should be at least somewhat available in an apparently relatively functional (if oppressive) society for a gainfully employed police officer, such as ice and hot water. It all feels as if the film tries too hard to hammer home their particular flavor of the post-apocalypse. The film's plot on a conceptual level is interesting, but is executed rather poorly, apart from Robinson's 'end of life' sequence. The ending cut is strange and jarring, focusing on Heston's hand rather than letting his character trail off; the final scene fails to take advantage of its somewhat cliffhanger nature. (2/5)

• Nov 21, 2020

I saw this movie, set in 2022, when it came out in 1973. I really like Charleton Heston's driven character! And the death scene with Edward G. Robinson was fascinating. WATCH THIS MOVIE!! Compare it to our current realities!!! If this doesn't totally freak you out, you're not paying attention!!!!

• Sep 03, 2020

Ok mediocre weird but kinda interesting futuristic movie. We're almost at the year 2022 and I hope in the span of 2 years we don't turn into this because that would be flat out awful. And man I didn't know what the big deal with this movie is but man the thing that makes you better, the stuff you eat is people. And the higher ups are turning people into cattle kinda. That's fudged up but I didn't expect that but still it took a long time for the twist. The final positive is that this movie is short and I'm glad it is. Would I recommend it? Sure why not.

• Aug 16, 2020

Good movie from 1971 that is definitely a little dated. Charlton Heston does his normal over acting and complete with his teeth clenched performance. This is Edward G. Robinson's last movie. This movie could be really good if it were to be remade with modern technology.