Spider-Man: Homecoming - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man: Homecoming Reviews

½ September 20, 2018
My favorite spider-man movie by far. Just go check it out if you are a fan of spider-man from the comics.
September 19, 2018
I think spiderman homecoming is the best spiderman movie. It has a great villain, great acting, great action, and it's in the MCU which is really good.
½ September 18, 2018
(92/100)
Phase three of the MCU has been doing very well, Spider-Man: Homecoming is no exception. Spider-Man: Homecoming is really fun to watch, I could just watch the highschool story and be entertained. The CGI on the suit that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) gave Peter Parker (Tom Holland) was sometimes a bit wobbly and really felt like the suit was CGI. The CGI on the suit that Peter Parker (Tom Holland) made himself was, however, very good. The plain sequence was very thrilling and excellently shot. Vulture (Michael Keaton) was such a good villain, you really understand his point of view. At the end of the day he just wants to provide for his family and doesn't want anyone to get hurt, which makes him very compelling. Spider-Man: Homecoming is an excellent entry in the MCU and in my top 5 overall (for now).
September 18, 2018
i love his movie and i think this is the best spiderman movie at of all of them and tom plays the best spiderman.
September 13, 2018
Nothing is going to be better than TASM!
Spider-Man: Homecoming is a decent Spider-Man movie, it's actually my second favorite Spider-Man movie.

Its sins are the sins of silliness! This movie is funny, okay, but sometimes it turned to some very silly jokes!
They actually tried to create a funny and action Spider-Man movie, as they did in The Amazing Spider-Man, but they failed!

Still Spider-Man: Homecoming is a decent Spider-Man movie.
½ September 13, 2018
Spider-Man: Homecoming is a very authentic take on the Spider-Man series. As someone who has never watched a superhero movie before (This just came on randomly, and I decided to watch), I found myself intrigued and excited. With a very realistic, but also surreal metropolitan setting, and the mood of peace, I can't help but like this movie. Spider-Man himself also gets depth, with him trying to impress the Avengers after his first experience with them.
September 11, 2018
THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I SAW IT ONCE AND I WILL SEE IT A MILLION TIMES AGAIN!!!!
½ September 10, 2018
Has some pretty strong performances especially from Michael Keaton and Tom Holland but lacks a little consequence.
½ September 10, 2018
While Peter Parker/Spider-Man himself is mostly a retread of previous material, Michael Keaton knocks it out of the park as Vulture and finally delivers another good Marvel villain.
½ September 9, 2018
oldschool spider-man for young generation :)
September 9, 2018
My fav Spider-Man movie
½ September 7, 2018
The best Spider-Man movie since the second one, it sets itself apart by doing it's best to never re-tread the same ground. The script leans on a few cliches, but the cast is really funny, and I used to watch the director's old sketch comedy channel back in the early days of YouTube, so it's good to see him having a lot of success.
September 6, 2018
Following the Battle of New York, Adrian Toomes (Michael Keaton) and his salvage company are contracted to clean up the city, but their operation is taken over by the Department of Damage Control (D.O.D.C.), a partnership between Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) and the U.S. government. Enraged at being driven out of business, Toomes persuades his employees to keep the Chitauri technology they have already scavenged and use it to create and sell advanced weapons. Eight years later, Peter Parker (Tom Holland) is drafted into the Avengers by Stark to help with an internal dispute, but resumes his studies at the Midtown School of Science and Technology when Stark tells him he is not yet ready to become a full Avenger. Parker quits his school's academic decathlon team to spend more time focusing on his crime-fighting activities as Spider-Man. One night, after preventing criminals from robbing an ATM with their advanced weapons from Toomes, Parker returns to his Queens apartment where his best friend Ned discovers his secret identity. On another night, Parker comes across Toomes' associates Jackson Brice / Shocker and Herman Schultz selling weapons to local criminal Aaron Davis. Parker saves Davis before being caught by Toomes (who has now taken an alternative identity as The Vulture) and dropped in a lake, nearly drowning after becoming tangled in a parachute built into his suit. He is rescued by Stark, who is monitoring the Spider-Man suit he gave Parker and warns him against further involvement with the criminals. However, Peter still wants to prove himself to be more than just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man...

Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus reads, "Spider-Man: Homecoming does whatever a second reboot can, delivering a colorful, fun adventure that fits snugly in the sprawling MCU without getting bogged down in franchise-building." Sara Stewart of the New York Post praised the film as "an endearingly awkward kid brother to the glamorous Wonder Woman", attributing much of the "heavy-lifting" to Holland's performance and the "perfectly cast" Keaton. She also noted Watts' focus on Parker's human side. Mike Ryan at Uproxx felt Homecoming was the best Spider-Man film yet, specifically praising the light tone, younger and more optimistic portrayal of Parker, and Keaton's performance-Ryan named the Vulture twist reveal as one of his favorite scenes in the MCU. He said Homecoming is "the kind of movie you leave and you're just in the best mood-and still will be days later." Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times called the film unique and refreshing, praising its lower stakes and focus on the character's school life. He praised Holland as "terrific and well-cast", as well as the other cast members; Roeper believed that Keaton's performance is more interesting than the character otherwise could have been. Owen Gleiberman of Variety felt the film was "just distinctive enough" from the previous Spider-Man films to become a "sizable hit", and highlighted its focus on making Peter Parker a realistically youthful and grounded character. He found Holland to be likeable in the role, and thought the Vulture twist was a positive direction for that character. He did criticize the vague take on Spider-Man's origin and powers, but "the flying action has a casual flip buoyancy, and the movie does get you rooting for Peter." At IndieWire, David Ehrlich criticized the film's superhero genre clichés and underwritten female characters, but praised the elements of the film that leaned into Parker's high school life and the humanity of the Vulture. Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times gave the film a mixed review, criticizing the "juvenile" depiction of Parker and Watts' "unevenly orchestrated" direction, but feeling that the film "finds its pace and rhythm by the end" and praising Keaton's performance. The Hollywood Reporter's John DeFore found the film to be "occasionally exciting but often frustrating", and suggested it might have worked better if less focus had been put on integrating the film with the MCU. DeFore did praise Holland's performance as "winning" despite the script, and called Zendaya a scene-stealer. Mick LaSalle, writing for the San Francisco Chronicle, said the film was a "pretty good Spider-Man movie" that "breaks no new ground", not exploring the human side of the character enough and instead focusing on action that is not thrilling. At The Telegraph, Robbie Collin argued that "a little of the new Spider-Man went an exhilaratingly long way in Captain America: Civil War last year. But a lot of him goes almost nowhere in this slack and spiritless solo escapade." Collin criticized Watts' direction, but was positive of the cast, including Holland, Keaton, Tomei, and Zendaya.

To be honest "Spider-Man - Homecoming" does not lift the Spiderman franchaise any more than all the other previous films if you ask me. The story with Michael Keaton as The Vulture and what they have made him in this film is not that much of my liking even if I do see the point of not keeping him the way he is in the comic. The story itself is not that intriguing and adds not much excitement. The film is too long (it drags), Tom Holland is ok as Peter Parker/Spiderman and they still haven´t manage to create really great and solid CGI of Spiderman in action. Despite an ensemble cast with Michael Keaton, Tom Holland, Jon Favreau, Zendaya, Donald Glover and Marisa Tomei this film creates few sparks in my head at least as a Spiderman fan. And I reckon the constant cross entering with other superheros and their universes are getting a bit tired I must say. That bit can be slightly toned down within the MCU in my opinion. "Spider-Man - Homecoming" is simply nothing special.
½ September 3, 2018
all that is presented in the mobie is wrong, this new spiderman could not even handle a real villain. doesn't take himself seriously and doesn't have character development. the humour is bad too.
September 3, 2018
Tom Holland is a perfect fit for a spiderman film and the most fitting Peter Parker to date. This said, this film falls short for a number of reasons. As much as I like his earlier work, Vulture played by Michael Keaten is by my reckoning the worst villain to date and not for want of a great character. The involvement of the wider Avengers universe is tired and Marvel should stick to making standalone films which I think the Toby Maguire films did the best. The storyline is weak at best and the constant use of spider not wearing is mask makes me wonder should this have been called Peter Parker: Homecoming.
½ September 1, 2018
This version of spider-man is the first live-action spider-man that does the character justice. It has a good plot, a good script, and a great cast. Tom Holland is the first live-action spider-man who actually looks like a high schooler. The humor is amazing and Tom Holland gives a childlike wit to spider-man. A great movie and a must see.
August 31, 2018
Plenty of good ideas and a story that is not too insane but, at some point too much powers just stop making any sense. A flexible suit that is fitted with a supercomputer that knows more than batman? Only the cute factor keep it afloat.
½ August 30, 2018
My only complaints are nitpicks. It does run a bit too long in my opinion, and Tony Stark becomes quite a nuisance as a father figure for Peter.
August 28, 2018
For a new start on Spider-Man, Homecoming is a solid movie. As it is something we have not seen before it is well put. Peters arc through the movie is solid and spot on. His Spider-Man is good but it is not the best because I felt like he relied on too much technology which I was not a fan of. Despite the tech suit which was a bit bothering, I would say it wasn't bad.
August 28, 2018
MCU really stepped up their game with spiderman