Spider-Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 3 Reviews

August 20, 2017
Spider-man 3 (2007) has been deemed by almost everyone to be the weakest of trilogy. Though I do agree that it isn't the best compared to the other two, I still think this movie did offer a lot of really good elements that really did help me enjoy the movie despite having it's flaws
The Story does unfortunately fall under what I call the sequel trap as it tries to stuff too many plot points to try and make the movie seem grand and epic. I will give credit that they do at least attempt to explain everything the movie establishes and some of the story ideas surprisingly really do work. I like the establishment of the villain arcs for Harry and the Sandman and the new challenges that Peter and Mary face can be very relatable and sometimes heartfelt. The establishment of the Symbiote is a really cool feature that does add a new layer onto peter's struggle and it can lead to some very well done character development. Though a lot of the story seemed very messy and kinda all over the place, I can at least tell that everyone behind the scenes were doing the best job they could with making this movie work.
The Characters can range from being uninteresting to interesting depending on which character they bring attention to. Most of the main characters like Peter and Mary Jane do keep their same level of likability while giving more depth to their personality. Some of the new characters like Sandman and even Harry as a villain, are given a good amount of time to establish motivations and give reasons as to what they want to accomplish. Other characters like Gwen Stacy and Eddie Brock (who later becomes Venom.) Do not have enough personality and are usually put to the side to bring attention to other details in the plot. I personally thought that the actor playing Eddie was very miscast and I didn't feel for him even when he did become Venom because there really wasn't enough time to develop his character and give him much interesting material to work off of.
The Cinematography is very impressive and like the last two movies, it goes further with showing off some great action and some pretty immersive environments for our characters to fight in. The CGI has definitely gotten better and they blend in very well with the practical effects much better than the first movie. They also get creative with the many powers and stunts that both Spiderman and villains have to do. Sometimes, the CGI can show a lot of cool imagery such as the Sandman's birth or even the design of Venom as it was admittedly pretty freaky looking and threatening.
The Music was not done by Danny Elfman surprisingly. Instead it was done by Composer Christopher Young but you could probably never tell the difference because he does adopt the music style of the previous movies very well. Not much can be said about the Film's score but it does get the job done and works with whatever is happening on the screen.
It's so unfortunate that this movie didn't work the way it should have because it did have a lot of great things going for it. I know tons of people like to pick on this movie for it's flaws and I can understand that. I don't think it's anything awful or a waste of my time as there were still a couple of elements that really did work in the long run. I'm glad I saw it and I don't think the moments that are great should go unrecognized. The 3rd Spider Man movie may have ended the trilogy on an uneven note but it definitely at least tried everything it could to be great. (B)
½ August 20, 2017
Look, Spider-Man 3 is bad. Not awful, just bad. Mary Jane is more unbearable than ever in this installment, Venom has nothing cool to do, and character motivation, save for Sandman and Harry, is almost a joke. However, there are some good things in it too, like Harry's arc, the action, and Sandman's arc. Not enough to make it good, though.

3/10
½ August 18, 2017
A director who's given up fighting studio demands and a producer who doesn't give a shit about the source material results in an amateurish mess of a finale to Raimi's previously excellent series. Remove Venom and you'd be half way to a decent film- crammed in for fans by a producer, but not delivering what the fans want- just cashing in on the character and ruining a franchise. Other characters are shoehorned in for the sake of brand recognition coin counting and the film is a mess and a financial success based purely on the quality of what preceded it. Misjudged comedy montages and dance sequences take up valuable time that could have been given to development. Venom isn't a Golden Age character, but Raimi is clearly a Golden Age director- they don't serve each other well and the symbiote just seems so out of place in this version of Spider-man. It's a shame, it could have been every bit as good as its predecessor, one of the finest super hero movies so far. Also, that news reporter in the final battle is fucking terrible.
½ August 17, 2017
It was okay like I sorta liked the movie like there were problems with it and there were none, for example, emo peter, not a lot of venom time and how peter acted with the black suit. It was okay and i would give it a 3 and a half in stars.
August 12, 2017
I really hated this piece of crap And that hurts to say because I love spider-man & venom in the comic books. Oh and there was a dance routine in this movie, terrible I mean wtf?! The dude that played Sandman did pretty well though I felt. Bryce Dallas is a very sexy redhead by the way she should've been Mary Jane. Kirsten Dunst probably would've made a better Gwen Stacy.
August 12, 2017
What a disappointment. This movie was the worst of the trilogy. The way they portrayed the new characters was bad. The plot was not accurate in certain parts and there was less action in this one. The special effects was the only thing that was good.
August 11, 2017
Jazz Goth Peter Parker
½ August 11, 2017
Spider-Man 3

Pros:
- Good Technical Aspects (VFX, Sound Design, Cinematography, etc.)

- Thomas Haden Church as The Sandman

- Mary Jane is a more three-dimensional character

- Fine Acting

Cons:
- Too many plot holes and contrivances

- Peter in the black suit was not executed very well

- Topher Grace as Venom

- Too Many Unnecessary Storylines and Characters

- Underwhelming compared to the first 2 movies in terms of action

- Too Many Ridiculous/Stupid moments to count that they end up being distracting

- Terrible Pacing

- Annoying Love Triangles

Overall: D+ (3/10)
August 10, 2017
I want to start by saying that I wanted to love this movie, I thought I would. The movie is a big let down. Its too long and too boring. The villians are lame, yes EVEN Venom, and it just doesn't have the same feel as the others did. I know its a darker film and that works, but darker does not a better film make.
August 5, 2017
I don't care what you say I love the movie
August 3, 2017
Spider-Man 3 had a lot to live up to with its previous entries both being huge successes but this one falls short. The writers packed too much into this movie with two villains, excuse me three villains because of the Harry Osbourne Green Goblin, emo Peter Parker, and just a dull plot. This is kind of like The Godfather Part III of Spider-Man. The first two were very good but the third and final entry just kind of falls back from the first two. All in all, Spider-Man 3 has some good moments but it's mostly bad. 3/5
½ August 2, 2017
A decent film with way too many plot lines is brought up by incredible scenes and good acting.
½ August 1, 2017
Know what. It really isn't that bad. Besides it being overstuffed it's not a bad film. Still nails the characters even eddie brock who is a different version more to fit with the story being told I just thought the casting was wrong.
August 1, 2017
This is not only the best Spider-Man movie of all time. It's also the best comic book movie of all time. Spider-Man 3 is a total blast. Excellent story, great villains, this third installment is one of the best. they're are however just a couple of flaws. But the whole movie still shows the perfect kind of story we all need.
½ July 31, 2017
There may be more characters and plotlines, but Spider-Man 3 certainly doesn't have the emotional depth of the first two movies.

Gwen Stacy and Venom were written into the film at the request of the producer, and it shows because Sam Raimi and Alvin Sargent don't know how to write these characters in a way that makes them interesting. Venom is some alien that fell from the sky and Gwen Stacy is just another love interest.

It doesn't help that almost all of the characters are unlikeable, including Peter Parker, and I'm not just talking about "emo" Parker. The complicated relationship between Peter and MJ could've been interesting, but the cause of their deteriorating relationship is Peter's overinflated ego. MJ also becomes just as self-absorbed over the course of the movie as Peter, as the movie, at times, focuses too much on MJ's fixation on her grandiose dream of pursing a music career. It's not that interesting and frankly, it just makes her character more unlikeable.

Harry Osborne was also overly dramatic about his father's death, and Harry (*SPOILER*) learns from his BUTLER of all people (in an anticlimactic scene) that his dad was impaled by his own glider. Speaking of death, the death of Uncle Ben was rewritten. Instead of the thief from the first film, it was actually Sandman (the main villain in this film) that killed him. This is a disservice to the original film. It's like if Bruce Wayne's parents were killed by The Joker instead of Joe Chill (or some other thief). Oh, wait...

Spider-Man 3 isn't a bad film as it does have some great action scenes and I did enjoy it, but the script was too crowded. Not only were there three villains, but there was also TWO love triangles. This gives some characters, especially the villains and Gwen Stacy, a less than satisfying amount of screentime and development.
July 31, 2017
Yes, the ending was poorly done. Yes, parts of it were too much. Yes, it was overblown. It doesn't hold a candle to the first two, but it wasn't THE WORST THING EVER. This is a perfect example of a potentially great movie being dragged down to a "meh" movie by too much studio involvement. Numerous deadlines and demands from Sony (and company) forced Sam Raimi to hurriedly throw together a film that he had wanted (and needed) to take his time on. Thanks a lot, Sony! You made one of the most ingenious filmmakers of our time bring shame to his childhood icon.
½ July 26, 2017
This movie has many problems but has really good fight scenes and as little as we see it, the black suit is awesome
½ July 25, 2017
Spider-Man 3 is garbage. There were too many villains to begin with. Topher Grace was horrible as Venom! Even though there are some good things about Spider-Man 3, it's complete garbage.
July 24, 2017
loved this movie personally i liked it better than the first spider-man but i think we can all say its 10x better than amazing spider-man 2