Spider-Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 3 Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
A lackluster, crowded, at times ridiculous end to Raimi's trilogy.

Peter Parker (Maguire) has finally leaned to walk the middle ground between being the superhero that his city needs and the man that Mary Jane (Dunst) loves.

After a near perfect superhero film in "Spider-Man 2", Sam Raimi followed up with a less than adequate sequel, one filled with too many villains, too much emo Peter, an unlikable MJ, and a poorly written story. I really felt like there was some stuff that could've been really cool here. I think Venom would've been a terrifying villain had he been the prime villain. The Sandman had the most character depth, but that ultimately led to nothing. Harry Osborn would've been the clear cut choice to focus on but again, his route was pretty messy. I think it's safe to say they dropped the ball here, wasting a lot of potential in what they had.

If anything came from this, it's that I disliked our main protagonists even more. Peter Parker was really unlikable and over the top in this film. I don't think that's necessarily Toby Maguire's fault, rather it was the writing. MJ was extremely unlikable, as her character was bouncing around from guy to guy throughout the films, and continues that here. It really makes it difficult to care when the rest of the movie is lackluster, and the main characters are unlikable.

One thing that remains impressive is the visuals. With a big budget, this film still looks great. I guess that's one real positive you can take away from all of this, as the CGI is still well done. Spider-Man and all of his villains still look really well, but that's the only thing I can say about this.

In the end, this movie isn't the best. I mean, it can still be entertaining, and I wouldn't mind watching it every once in a while. It's more like a lot of wasted potential with some cringe worthy moments.
½ July 20, 2017
To be honest, I don't think spider man 3 is that bad, in my opinion it's good, is it a great movie...no, does it have its problems...yes, is it as good as spider man one or 2...nope, but don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie at all it's not a great movie either it's pretty good so I got to give credit to Sam Raimi yet and this movie for that and I bet you all wondering why there are three villains in there the actual start was that Sam Raimi was having Sandman and the new green goblin in this movie not venom but the problem was that the studio forced Sam Raimi to put venom in there and that's why it didn't work that much, but it's still a good movie.
July 20, 2017
Not perfect like 1 and 2 but still a darn fun film.
½ July 19, 2017
Although it was extremely cheesy and written for a 10 year old audience, I have to admit, I enjoyed it. 4/5

Update: rewatched after a few years and I finally realized why everyone hated it. Tobey just showed me again why I don't believe him as Spider-Man and the villlians were horrible. 2.5/5
½ July 18, 2017
Disappointed by the movie.Ruined a trilogy
½ July 18, 2017
A lot of people despise this movie but I don't think it's that bad, it's better than the next two Spider Man movies.
July 17, 2017
Action scenes still great, but poor choices and twists drag Spider-Man 3 down and end the trilogy rather poorly.
½ July 17, 2017
Sam Raimi's first two "Spider-Man" films were awesome, but this third one hits so many wrong notes.
½ July 16, 2017
Problematic, but in hindsight it was the last good Spider-Man movie.
½ July 14, 2017
Of course this film isn't as good as the first two, but it still is an entertaining film to watch
½ July 14, 2017
A film with potential that gets lost amid the amount of characters and a greedy studio. Tobey Maguire delivers an awe-inspiring and unconvincing performance, Topher Grace is one of the worst casting in history. I could talk for hours about the problems of the film, but I'll head the good parts, like the action and the rare moments we see Raimi's vision.
July 13, 2017
A step down from 2, but much better than people want to admit. Sandman is excellent, and the film packs a punch
July 12, 2017
With an overloaded story, a bullsh*t villain team-up that gives Batman Forever a run for its money, and literally the worst dancing scene in the history of film, Spider-Man 3 nonetheless still barely manages to entertain. The action is still fun and intense, Sam Raimi's directing is above his average, the entire cast still give great performances, and Thomas Haden Church is perfectly cast as the Sandman.
July 12, 2017
I thought it was good. I thought the middle was kind of of odd, but I loved the ending...well with some exceptions.
½ July 12, 2017
Ah, the Spider-Man film that nearly ruined the franchise, Spider-Man 3. Like the previous two films, there's a tremendous amount of nostalgia attached to this film for me. This was the first trilogy of superhero films that I connected with, and at 13 years-old I was willing to forgive many of the mistakes this film made, most of which I cannot forgive a decade later.

Only a few films have tried balancing more than one villain, Spider-Man 3 being the classic example of how not to do it. Apparently, the studio forced Venom on Sam Raimi and hence making Harry & Sandman's arc far less effective when the final act is bogged down by a silly attempt at bringing Venom to the big screen. None of the three villains are all that great, but there's at least some emotional undercurrent with both Sandman and Harry. Venom is, more or less, just a third act reveal that is meant to please fans. Only, it did the exact opposite.

Another thing that definitely didn't win over fans was the fact that this film made Peter Parker an absolute jerk. It's one thing to have the symbiote change Peter, but it's another thing to have him physically abuse Mary Jane, and nearly kill his best friend Harry multiple times. This was far from the Peter Parker we came to love in the first two films.

Another headache was the direction they took Harry Osborn. Having him get "hit in the head" and lose his memory for half the film was one of the stupidest and laziest decisions I can remember from a comic-book film. I don't mind having Harry go the villainous route, but the memory loss was all a bit of a headache.

There is good, however. Raimi, as he proved in the first two, is great at shooting high-scale action. The CGI is definitely dated when looking back on it after 10 years, but the action is as visceral as anything in any Spider-Man film to date. Yes, that includes 'Homecoming'. If only the dialogue surrounding the action could match the brutality. I also think Thomas Haden-Church's performance as Sandman is nothing to scoff at, reminding me of the character depth that made Doc Ock so memorable. At the end of the day, Raimi was trying to give us a Spider-Man film that dealt with bigger and more important personal issues, whether that worked for you or not is entirely up to the viewer.

I think if Raimi had the tools that filmmakers have now (improved CGI) and perhaps a little less studio interference, then Spider-Man 3 could be a much better end to the trilogy than it ended up being. There's plenty I can't forgive about this film, especially the infamous 'dancing in the street' sequence, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

+Action

+Deals with real issues

-But is sometimes careless in its execution

-3 villains proved to be way too much

-Memory loss for Harry

5.8/10
Not good, this one.

Also, that was not Venom. I refuse to believe it.
½ July 11, 2017
Containing several contrived, heavy-handed, and even cringe-worthy moments, Spider-Man 3 is only able to be passable entertainment, mostly due to its stars and actions sequences.
½ July 11, 2017
could have been sooo much better...huge dissapointment...at least i have the new batman movies to keep my inner comic book dorkiness happy
July 10, 2017
Spider-Man 3

Pros:
- Good Technical Aspects (VFX, Sound Design, Cinematography, etc.)

- Thomas Haden Church as The Sandman

- Mary Jane is a more three-dimensional character

Cons:
- Too many plot holes and contrivances

- Peter in the black suit was not executed very well

- Topher Grace as Venom

- Too Many Unnecessary Storylines and Characters

- Underwhelming compared to the first 2 movies in terms of action

- Too Many Ridiculous/Stupid moments to count that they end up being distracting

- Terrible Pacing

- Annoying Love Triangles

Overall: D (2/10)
July 10, 2017
The itsy bitsy spider got washed out...