Spy Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spy Game Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
Entertaining spy thriller with a fairly well paced and interesting plot. Good to see two different generations of actors work well together.
August 9, 2016
Never hearing of this movie, I was intrigued by the cast of Pitt and Redford in the same movie. I would classify this as psychological character drama/thriller. While there are flashbacks of the background story, with plenty of action. It's the story and play on top of the surface that keeps you intrigued and wanting to know what's going on, what might be the eventual outcome. Aside from unnecessary side plots, and unnecessary character relationship building. This was really great movie. No matter he outcome.
June 24, 2016
Highly entertaining not ordinary mission-spy kind of thing. Redford gave an outstanding performance! A great beginning on my long list of movie marathon
June 13, 2016
It isn't really original and it's more of a walk through rather than an action packed spy thriller but Spy Game still offers two fine thespians in a fairly engaging and well constructed spy movie good for a watch or two.
June 12, 2016
It's a weird mishmash of cynicism and sentimentality . . . If the narrative stuck with it's original bleak structure instead of turning into a love story with a happy ending I might have liked this more.
½ June 9, 2016
From director Tony Scott comes the exciting and intense thriller Spy Game. When CIA operative Tom Bishop is captured by the Chinese and left for dead his former handler attempts to rescue him. Robert Redford and Brad Pitt lead the cast and give excellent performances. And the script is especially well-written, particularly the dialog, and does a great job at developing the characters. Also, Scott's directing brings a lot of tension and suspense to the scenes. Smart and provocative, Spy Game is an incredibly engaging film.
½ May 17, 2016
Man oh man, it's not easy keeping alla world's nutcase reactionary knuckleheads under our protective thumb but, thanks to our boys and girls out of Langley, Virginia, whirred peas is a dish served throughout the whole wide world. Redford plays the administrative guy, dealing with smug policy hacks threats in the store, while Pitt is our boy in the field facing the usual gun-toting variety. Tony Scott films one scene in this CIA love lettet nonsensically revolving around an outdoor, roof of-some-overseas-building exchange. "What was that all about," I wondered.
April 9, 2016
It's a Tony Scott film, therefore, you know for a fact that it's going to be a visually stylish film with some genuinely thrilling moments. It's a well-crafted espionage thriller with an interesting, if not implausible, plot, and both Redford and Pitt seem like they are having a lot of fun. My main problem with the film is that I didn't really care about what's going on with the characters. The film is all about the surface, and although there is nothing wrong with having good surface and the action is fun to watch, I wish there was more solid character development. Spy Game is kinetic and enjoyable, but it's utterly forgettable.
March 16, 2016
Watching this again. Love the suspense!
September 26, 2015
Don't ever question me again...ever...

Nathan Muir is a Vietnam veteran that trained Tom Bishop to become a spy for the government. He is about to retire and has one last mission: to rescue Tom who has been captured by the Chinese. His superiors are reluctant to do what it takes, but Nathan thinks he can change their mind.

"We need the press on this like we need a third nipple."
"You using the other two?"

Tony Scott, director of Man on Fire, Top Gun, Unstoppable, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, Domino, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, and Beverly Hills Cop II, delivers Spy Game. The storyline for this picture is fairly mediocre and straight-line with some cool scenes and settings. The acting is better than average and the cast includes Robert Redford, Brad Pitt, Catherine McCormack, and Ted Maynard.

"What we do is unfortunately very necessary."

I came across this on Showtime and DVR'd it. This was fairly average with some good war scenes/flashbacks. I score this above average due to the excellent acting by Redford and Pitt but there are better films in this genre.

"Feels good to break a rule now and then."

Grade: C+
September 1, 2015
Sense & feel of real authenticity. Though the concluding op & getaway seemed a little preposterous upon reflection.
½ July 11, 2015
I am disturbed that this move rated as high as it did with both groups. it is the only movie that I ever took back to the video store and chewed out the rental clerk for allowing me to rent it.....I am the most laid back guy you will ever meet, but he NEVER should have taken my money, and should have pulled me to the side and encouraged me not to rent it.....I would have listened.....honest... I would have listened.
July 2, 2015
One of the best spy movies I have seen. Great concept/plot! Brad Pitt!
June 10, 2015
When you know how the thriller is going to end and still are interested well that's all because of the actors.
½ June 7, 2015
All you need is focus and you'll enjoy it. Clever plot.
May 22, 2015
Spy Game is one of those clever spy movies.
May 8, 2015
Sensational. It gets better with every viewing and it has held up exceptionally well over the years.
April 30, 2015
This is a great spy thriller. Robert Redford is very cool calm and collected in the CIA boardroom outwitting his fellow agents and superiors. Lots of action by Brad Pitt who fits the role he plays perfectly. The violence was not overdone - unlike most movies nowadays. Very enjoyable to watch.
April 12, 2015