St. Elmo's Fire Reviews

• Jul 14, 2019

so boring, it feels like a lot is going on because ther's so many characters but it's too boring to care. I am usually able to force myself through a crapfest but I didnt make it.

• Jul 13, 2019

So bad. I bought this recently as a collector of VHS (about 1,200 in the collection) and this doesn't make the keeper cut. We watched it, laughed, complained,etc. Good cast of young kiddos --but did any on them know they were selling their soul for a shit-fest? I think the ansewer is " yes" so woe to them. Ka-ching!! Sure the Hollywood checks cashed like butter.

• Jun 18, 2019

C´est pas le plus grand film de l´histoire mais c´est un film qui représente bien une époque.

• May 01, 2019

This is objectively an awful film but shoot me, I really liked it. Once you get through all of the â~80s kitsch, bad writing and poor wardrobe decisions I actually enjoyed the various plotlines occurring between this ensemble of characters even if they don't wrap up as expected. You partly have to enjoy this by acknowledging it's so bad it's good much like Reality Bites (1994) however the â~substance' of the film is oddly fascinating. The soundtrack and famous cast alone help the film go down easily and it's rather fun to sit on the couch in the afternoon and attempt to identify Mare Winningham and Martin Balsam without the internet. There are so many plotlines in this film so I'll try to go character by character. Kirby, Emilio Estevez, is a writer who harbors an obsession with a doctor that he has only been on one date with, Dale, Andie MacDowell. Billy, Rob Lowe, had the time of his life at university but struggles to adjust to adulthood with a young son to take care of despite the support of his loving but infantilized by her father girlfriend Wendy, Mare Winningham. The love triangle in the film occurs between womanizing future politician Alec, Judd Nelson, his commitment-phobe girlfriend Leslie, Ally Sheedy, and his sensitive writer friend who may be holding a candle for Leslie, Kevin, Andrew McCarthy. Finally, there's Jules, Demi Moore, a â~tragic' partier who has an affair with her boss with unfortunate results. They all unite together in the end and reaffirm their friendship despite there being little evidence of this disparate group of people being very close in the first place. Probably the most enjoyable moments in the film were derived from the love triangle subplot as we see a shop assistant offer to try on lingerie in-store and The English Patient (1996) style unrequited love. The whole relationship between Alec and Leslie seems off as she doesn't have any real personality but we are meant to believe she is looking for genuine love meanwhile we know that Alec was apparently a nicer person when he was a Democrat. Mixed up in all this is the friend who's in love with his best friend's girlfriend who also works as one of the best comedic characters in the film. The places in which Sheedy has to convey â~emotion' are laughable as she cries, simpers and sniffles her way through each of these scenes and yet there is something grotesquely enjoyable about watching three illogically written characters interact and make equally illogical decisions using dialogue that could only come from the 1980s, "Love is just an illusion created by lawyers." The other threads are also strangely dealt with as it is unclear whether we are meant to find Kirby's stalking escapades funny and laugh at him or whether we are meant to be on his side and want Dale to fall madly in love with him. One shot in particular in which Estevez's eyes can be seen looking creepily through Dale's boyfriend's window pushes the idea that he is a horror villain but in the next scene he and Dale kiss and she stares wistfully after him. Only in St. Elmo's Fire could so many genres and tones be combined to produce a film that's still semi-understandable to a rational human being. It makes no sense why Andie MacDowell would suddenly be charmed by this psycho but it's almost more funny to see a film that tries and doesn't exactly fail but seems to be existing in a world where different logic applies. The final thing I have to touch upon is the cast. This was the peak Brat Pack year as three of the main cast members of The Breakfast Club (1985), Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez, appear along with Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore and Mare Winningham. Winningham gives the best acting performance especially when considered next to her peers and when looking at the dialogue she is given, it is a miracle she manages to bring such sensitivity to a role that is thankless on paper. Moore is terrible, she was always a bad actress, in her role and not particularly attractive to boot. Sheedy, Nelson and McCarthy are bad in a fun way with their love triangle plotline. Estevez is strangely cast while Lowe's role fits him like a glove. This cast really captures a cultural moment as I doubt youths today would be so willing to accept Sheedy as a major star. This is one to watch if you are looking for something entertaining that requires little to no engagement with or investment in the characters. If you have â~80s nostalgia it works equally well and it is generally a delight despite being poorly made in most ways.

• Jan 15, 2019

When I see the commentary /reviews of prominent people in the industry panning this film, I have to laugh! When Hollywood hasn't put out two dozen decent original films in the 33 years since its release. The GARBAGE that passes for entertainment fodder since, turns my stomach. I found this film very entertaining, the cast, engaging. The only thing that seems to sell anymore are no talent writers, with abstract plots, who can't tie up a movie at the end. A sea of wasted negative, from studios who are only interested in doing inane reboots of mediocre last efforts. I'll take the 80's for film making any day.

• Jan 09, 2019

Good 80’s movie. Not the best, but worth watching.

Good 80’s movie. Not the best, but worth watching.

• Jan 07, 2019

It's a soap opera with fresh-out-of-college kids, that isn't quite as effective as the Hughes films of the same era. While the cast is good and share a real chemistry, and there are some real standout exchanges, ultimately these characters are all unlikeable and kill any chance of a connection. You don't care what happens to any of them when they're all soo horrid and self-centered.

• Nov 02, 2018

Cannot believe Joel "Batman & Robin" Schumacher was behind this one. As I said once before, seems like almost all 80's movies take place in high school.. this one right after college, but it's still about a group of friends and their drama. The two St. Elmo's songs play throughout this and after hearing them for the 10th time or so it gets a bit annoying. I honestly don't really take much from this. It's definitely middle of the road quality in my book.

• Mark H Super Reviewer
    May 29, 2018

A sentimental, syrupy drama about how 7 college friends fair in the 6 months following their graduation. It's a bit much, but it plays better with those of us who feel a sense of nostalgia for those chaotic years in our early 20's. There is some truth and many scenes ring true. Plus, it features the Brat Pack at the height of their fame when they looked young and perfect. Who among us doesn't identify with at least one of them? Decent 80's music too. It's a pretty good movie about a group of friends growing apart and being tested by "real life." I remember being 22 very well. This movie does evoke some emotions from that time in my life.

• Apr 20, 2018

Tried to watch this movie but I just found myself switching off halfway. Way too many central;characters and stories to follow which could have at least beeb executed in an engaging way with some emotion and outgoing personaliies but it just comes off as dry and bland. There were a couple of good moments but not enough to make me want to watch the rest of the film.