Starman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starman Reviews

September 3, 2017
its a goddam chick flick!
½ September 3, 2017
I hate the 'evolved peacenik vegan alien' from utopia trope. Always accompanied by the 'I envy earth people's humanity' trope. He just took dinner off the plate of hungry children. I abhor this film conceit and root against the alien and for the humans. Meh. Still a decent flick.
August 13, 2017
This may be the older movie (1984) but its special effects are still pretty good which is why I can only give this Movie a *4* star Review!!!!
½ July 24, 2017
Great movie. What really drives this movie is the compelling character development and performances from its cast, as Bridges fully encompasses an alien in a human body and Allen wonderfully navigates the tightrope between a grieving widow and a woman captivated by this fascinating and troubling situation, but the film also features some stylish direction and solid visual effects for the time.
July 12, 2017
Director, John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing) directs a love story starring, Karen Allen and Jeff Bridges as an alien that takes the form her deceased husband. This film is true to the romance and love story genre. It isn't no, Titanic or The Notebook, but it is a great movie in its own genre. This film has a great feel, ads score that goes along with the stellar performances from both, Allen and Bridges. This is a fun family film for all.
June 7, 2017
Alien comes to Earth in peace after receiving similar message from Earth on the Voyager One but encounters danger from the National Security Council in his attempt to be picked up in Nevada. Solid and entertaining film, a bit of a departure for Carpenter in genre.
½ April 25, 2017
Incorporating at least several elements of genres and themes, this film works overall as a romance and road movie.
½ March 5, 2017
John Carpenter's uneven approach can't find the balance between sci-fi and romance.
February 5, 2017
I really enjoyed this John Carpenter film which I hadn't seen in years. Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen star, with Bridges as an alien that takes the form of Allen's deceased husband whose death she hasn't gotten over. It is at times amusing, heartfelt, and always entertaining. Charles Martin Smith is also a standout in a supporting role. Well worth watching, and in my opinion it holds-up really well for a film over 30 years old. Check it out!
October 22, 2016
A really emotional film. Jeff Bridges delivers a great comic and moving performance. A great love story.
October 18, 2016
Jeff Bridges' performance is truly magnificent and mesmerizing, he deservedly was given an Oscar nomination for an unusual role.
½ September 17, 2016
On sait tous que John Carpenter a du talent et que son duo avec Kurt Russell a produit ce qui se fait peut-être de mieux en science-fiction (Escape from L.A., The Thing...). Mais ici, sur Starman, leur 3e collaboration, la magie ne prend pas trop et le film se trouve être particulièrement ennuyeux. Contant l'histoire d'un extraterrestre qui prend la forme du mari récemment décédé de Karen Allen, toujours très bonne, Starman se transforme en road romance et perd totalement de son intérêt quand les rebondissements sont téléphonés et particulièrement ennuyeux. C'est dommage car le casting est excellent, la réalisation de John Carpenter permet aux moments les plus tartes de s'en sortir quand même et la musique de Jack Nitzsche est inoubliable.
July 24, 2016
Heartfelt, adventurous, surprisingly humorous, and also surprisingly poignant. To me, this is a perfect Sci-fi film.
Bridges is so perfectly weird here, and yet paired with Karen Allen as a kind recent widow, they only enhance each other and make a completely intriguing chase duo.
The government operatives closing in, the alien needing to get to the rendezvous site, these were common themes at the time - read: too close to the success of ET to not be unfairly compared.
And yet it stands strongly by itself.
I truly wish it had been more appreciated in its time since John Carpenter of Halloween fame is the director, and he nails it to the wall here.

5 twinklings stars out of 5
June 20, 2016
Rating: 77%
Though it falls into the typical sci-fi romance norms, Starman is still a thought-provoking and entertaining piece of work coming from one of Hollywood's most iconic directors.
May 21, 2016
A romance sci fi film that uses the Gold disc with Earth info included in Voyager 2 for the invitation to aliens to visit our planet. Some humorous moments product of the alien's learning about human costumes.
March 19, 2016
Pretty decent. Bridges is always interesting. It has that nice 80's charm.
March 18, 2016
Normally I roll my eyes at movies as sentimental as this, but there's something sincere & straightforward about Starman that appeals to me. The key might be Jeff Bridges, at first he plays his stranded alien character for laughs, but as the movie progresses we start rooting for him to fall in love & find his way home. It's an 80s cult flick worth seeing
March 6, 2016
I just like the Alien Spaceship at the end.
February 15, 2016
Tiene buenos momentos y la dirección es muy buena, pero no puede evitar ser víctima de su guión marcado irremediablemente por un corny ochenterismo que todo lo impregna e, inevitablemente, arruina.
February 10, 2016
If aliens would come to earth, this is the least way it would turn out. Except for the ludacris story, it has the Carpenter eighty feel.