Starman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starman Reviews

October 22, 2016
A really emotional film. Jeff Bridges delivers a great comic and moving performance. A great love story.
October 18, 2016
Jeff Bridges' performance is truly magnificent and mesmerizing, he deservedly was given an Oscar nomination for an unusual role.
½ September 17, 2016
On sait tous que John Carpenter a du talent et que son duo avec Kurt Russell a produit ce qui se fait peut-être de mieux en science-fiction (Escape from L.A., The Thing...). Mais ici, sur Starman, leur 3e collaboration, la magie ne prend pas trop et le film se trouve être particulièrement ennuyeux. Contant l'histoire d'un extraterrestre qui prend la forme du mari récemment décédé de Karen Allen, toujours très bonne, Starman se transforme en road romance et perd totalement de son intérêt quand les rebondissements sont téléphonés et particulièrement ennuyeux. C'est dommage car le casting est excellent, la réalisation de John Carpenter permet aux moments les plus tartes de s'en sortir quand même et la musique de Jack Nitzsche est inoubliable.
July 24, 2016
Heartfelt, adventurous, surprisingly humorous, and also surprisingly poignant. To me, this is a perfect Sci-fi film.
Bridges is so perfectly weird here, and yet paired with Karen Allen as a kind recent widow, they only enhance each other and make a completely intriguing chase duo.
The government operatives closing in, the alien needing to get to the rendezvous site, these were common themes at the time - read: too close to the success of ET to not be unfairly compared.
And yet it stands strongly by itself.
I truly wish it had been more appreciated in its time since John Carpenter of Halloween fame is the director, and he nails it to the wall here.

5 twinklings stars out of 5
June 20, 2016
Rating: 77%
Though it falls into the typical sci-fi romance norms, Starman is still a thought-provoking and entertaining piece of work coming from one of Hollywood's most iconic directors.
May 21, 2016
A romance sci fi film that uses the Gold disc with Earth info included in Voyager 2 for the invitation to aliens to visit our planet. Some humorous moments product of the alien's learning about human costumes.
March 19, 2016
Pretty decent. Bridges is always interesting. It has that nice 80's charm.
March 18, 2016
Normally I roll my eyes at movies as sentimental as this, but there's something sincere & straightforward about Starman that appeals to me. The key might be Jeff Bridges, at first he plays his stranded alien character for laughs, but as the movie progresses we start rooting for him to fall in love & find his way home. It's an 80s cult flick worth seeing
March 6, 2016
I just like the Alien Spaceship at the end.
February 15, 2016
Tiene buenos momentos y la dirección es muy buena, pero no puede evitar ser víctima de su guión marcado irremediablemente por un corny ochenterismo que todo lo impregna e, inevitablemente, arruina.
February 10, 2016
If aliens would come to earth, this is the least way it would turn out. Except for the ludacris story, it has the Carpenter eighty feel.
January 26, 2016
An unlikely offering from director John Carpenter, Starman has long been a favourite of mine. Carpenter is better known for his attempts to scare the willies out of cinema audiences in the 1970s and 1980s with hits like Halloween, The Thing and The Fog but here, he tells a love story and he does it very well. Of course, being one of his movies, it's not quite that simple as the plot concerns an alien visitor to Earth who takes the form of the recently deceased husband of a young widow. The alien is played by Jeff Bridges and the woman by Karen Allen, both of whom put in terrific and moving performances. Bridges in particular manages to pull off a delicate balance between wonder and confusion at the strange habits of humans and does so in an endearing way that never depends into slapstick. the feel of the movie is very intimate as the two leads embark on a road trip across the US in order to get to a rendezvous in Arizona. Along the way, their relationship goes from mistrust to friendship to romance. This could so easily have become a slushy, sickly film but Carpenter shows real tenderness and care, allowing those all important pauses and silences, where so much is said by saying nothing, to play out in a naturalistic and believable manner. There are some delightful and memorable scenes in this movie, for me the highlight being a scene in a diner where the alien asks Allen's character Jenny to define the meaning of love. This is a beautifully staged scene which always brings a tear to my eye. One of the other joys of Starman is a very simple and hugely effective musical score composed by Jack Nitzsche which is one of the most memorable scores from the 1980s. It is true that aspects of the plot are not particularly original but it has seldom been done better and Starman does for me what the best science fiction tries to achieve, which is to tell stories that are basically human at heart.
January 12, 2016
Not one of Carpenter's best, but still a classic to be seen by die hard fans
January 2, 2016
A fun relaxed retro movie . Interesting to watch even in 2016. Less SciFi ,more romantic
½ October 24, 2015
One of the better 80's sci-fi films but, like a lot of them, the story isn't very deep at all.
½ September 19, 2015
The invisibly secret cabal that has self apointed itself in charge of all alien contact & dictated its absolute secrecy cannot be trusted with the job. According to this movie any one of us could be an alien dopplegangor subject to their scrutiny at any time to any degree.
½ September 15, 2015
This was an odd movie with a great performance from Jeff Bridges but for a sci fi movie it is a little dry and slow. The visuals, make up, score, and cinematography are great but something about the overall story was off for me
½ September 11, 2015
"Starman" was a nicely different John Carpenter movie, a sci-fi/romance film. An alien responds to the Voyager II message of humankind's invitation to visit our planet but upon approach it's ship is shot down when mistaken to a meteor. Crashed in central USA, the alien finds Jenny Hayden's (Karen Allen) house and transformes into a shape of her dead husband Scott (Jeff Bridges). Reluctantly, Jenny agress to take "Scott" to Arizona, where "his" people wait to rescue him. But the US government knows his crash and are trying to catch him.
"Starman" was quite much alike with another sci-fi film called "Contact". In both these films the villains are us, the mankind, so horrifically stupid in the face of extraterrestrial discovery. Even one character asks from the military man-in-charge: "What happened to common curtesy? We INVITED him here!" It makes me mad to think we would be this naive and stupid but seeing how the world is today, there's not much hope to that.
Overall, a solid classic with great performance from the great Jeff Bridges and from Karen Allen as well.
August 6, 2015
A different kind of John Carpenter film, but still a good one.
July 23, 2015
One of my favorite movies, have it on tape & watched it a number of times. The ending seemed to be so good for a sequel. Was disappointed that never happened.