Starred Up Reviews

• Sep 21, 2019

Truly exceptional film. As an avid film watcher, especially those focusing on inner turmoil that manifests itself in a wide array of external actions, the psychology behind the physicality of this film was impeccable. Well done.

• Sep 12, 2019

Ben and Jack are so underrated. amazing.

Ben and Jack are so underrated. amazing.

• Sep 11, 2019

One of the most profound and gut wrenching prison films I've ever seen. An absolute masterpiece of a film. Everyone involved should be damn proud. A must see to cinephiles

• Jul 16, 2019

I'll be honest. I wasn't entirely thrilled with the majority of this movie as I was watching it. Sure, the acting was incredibly convincing and the camerawork was laudable at times, but there was just something about the narrative and characters in play -- I couldn't exactly place what this movie was trying to do or say. But sometimes you just have to hear a movie out. Because, in a manner similar to Jeff Nichols's "Mud," it's within the final ten or fifteen minutes of "Starred Up" that things really start to fall into place. Plot elements which once seemed directionless finally incorporate themselves in a massive way. Character dynamics that you felt left too much to be desired end up firing on all cylinders. And all of the thematic meaning and weight you felt the rest of the movie lacked ends up revealing its beautiful self. It's really quite the film. Viewer warning, though; if you're not attuned to the regional dialects in play, you might have to watch this one with subtitles. I know I ended up having to do so.

• Jun 02, 2019

A flick that could've been interesting and could've been fascinating, if only the characters would've had a little more depth. The main character, the son of 19 who gets transferred from a juvenile prison to a 'real' prison, promises some deeper explanation on why he turned out this way, but ends up to be just extremely aggressive, most of the time. The bond between father and son showed some promise too, but it all winds up in too much hassle, too much drama, too much raw violence. If you're into this stuff, by all means, enjoy, but to me it was over the top. After a while I couldn't care less that someone got hurt. I just wanted it to be over, really. Too bad, as this film definitely had potential. Good actors, good basic idea, but a weak story and too little moments of true reflection. The end is not worth the long wait, as it is completely unbelievable. I guess the film did show a fairly realistic image of prison life, though.

• Mar 18, 2019

Superb, quiet remarkably a brilliant film considered the budget and time it was shot. Fantastic performances by every actor

• Jan 30, 2019

Solid directing, and a fine performance from rising star Jack O'Connell.

Solid directing, and a fine performance from rising star Jack O'Connell.

• Dec 04, 2018

Harsh look into the prison system, and families in them. The son gets transferred to the adult unit where his father is - and as a counselor tries to help him, things go a little sideways.

• Sep 03, 2018

Exceptional acting , really opens a vivid door of description and detail to how prison life really is.

• Aug 22, 2018

Il film viene diretto in modo esemplare sotto ogni punto di vista, con grandi interpretazioni di tutti gli attori e una buona sceneggiatura. Quello che manca è la presenza di scene particolarmente memorabili e una narrazione in salita che culmini in qualcosa. La totale assenza di musiche di sicuro non aiuta e rende l'esperienza piuttosto vuota e non memorabile.