Starter for 10 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starter for 10 Reviews

June 24, 2016
Charming coming of age film with James McAvoy and the ever popular Benedict Cumberbatch playing the teammate you long to punch in the nose or head butt. The Brits know how to do this sort of film very well.
April 12, 2016
Liked this one a lot - I like anything with an 80's theme, generally, but this actually is very likeable and has some funny bits to it.
Rebecca Hall was the standout here. I loved her dry, intelligent character.
February 7, 2016
A great start for James McAvoy.
November 22, 2015
A great cast that's fun to watch.
½ October 15, 2015
By the numbers, but still charming. B
October 4, 2015
Very charming and clever storyline
September 14, 2015
Loved the book, read it first.
After, the movie seemed a bit blah. However, it was nice to see the funny bits on screen though.
Everyone who is big and famous now, is young and adorable here. Acting is not bad.
Oh yes and Gatiss here is great, I almost didn't recognize him.
May 19, 2015
Brilliant evocative 80's movie. Wonderfully acted and great story.
½ December 8, 2014
James McAvoy couldn't save this movie.
½ November 18, 2014
Whilst quite enjoying the novel version of 'A Starter for 10', this adaptation seriously disappointed. Potentially interesting characters were woefully introduced and developed. This prevented relationships from appearing genuine, and so left me struggling to sympathise with any of them. Much of the book's highlights were unfortunately overlooked, and attempts at comedy were weak. An early introduction to Benedict Cumberbatch was arguably the film's high point.
September 21, 2014
Nice romantic comedy with some important messages..
September 7, 2014
I'd heard good things about this but honestly wasn't all that impressed. I mean its okay but nothing special, even with James McAvoy in the lead and a nerdy (somewhat hilarious) role from Benedict Cumberbatch. The music is good, headlining The Cure and other 80's gems and it is charming but not particularly original, funny or all that endearing. McAvoy is Brian Jackson, a 1985 working class bloke with a love of knowledge who gets a scholarship to the university of Bristol. He spends most of his time there navigating love and relationships while preparing with his team for "University Challenge", a popular televised college quiz show. 9/6/14
August 31, 2014
I'm not really sure what to say about this film. In some ways I enjoyed it comedic moments, but in others I think the story was quite boring and pointless. I don't think I will watch it again, but if you need something different and remotely romantic, give this a try.
August 7, 2014
James McAvoy is so fcking brilliant!! I even have a screenshot collection of his facial expressions taken from this movie because this guy can do it all: happiness or despair - all written on his face.
August 5, 2014
...Did I ever mention that I'm a huge fan of James McAvoy?
July 20, 2014
Very enjoyable film reminded me of my student years with the music and parties - and the characterization - at a time when working class people were entering traditional universities for the first time - an important and oft neglected theme
½ July 3, 2014
What took me so long to watch this?! Daddy Lannister's cameo and Benedict Cumberbatch's character were the highlights.
May 28, 2014
Lots of fun - and a Bristol setting. Great cast too. Loved Benedict Cumerbatch and James Cordon in supporting roles. And they all look so young....
February 14, 2014
i liked this film - it's completely light and nothing special, but it's a fun watch, and more than anything it's genuine. it knows what it is, and does what it sets out to well. the performances are also equal parts hilarious and touching. i'm not sure if i was a 100% on board with the ending, but other than that i think it was a sweet rom-com that came with a message, in it's own, light-hearted way.
½ February 11, 2014
not bad, but the melodrama coulda been more...drama i guess? fun though.