Stick It Reviews

• Dec 04, 2019

I looooove this Movie. It's hallarious and it's just so true. I mean I love gymnastics and everything but it so Nice to se someone Call them out for all those stupid ass rules that make zero ass sense. And Yeah it's just hallarious and fun and great cast and pasing and everything.

• Aug 28, 2018

Stick It follows Haley (Missy Peregrym), a rebellious teen who after a run in with the law is forced back into the world of gymnastics where she will be reluctantly coached by Burt Vickerman (Jeff Bridges). Written and directed by Jessica Bendinger, Stick It follows a somewhat familiar plot to other gymnastics/dance/sport films of the era but stands out in part due to the lead performance from Missy Peregrym. Missy is the heart and soul of this story and brings a tonne of life and energy to every single scene. For her film debut she puts in an incredible performance and pulls off the humour and emotion of her character's journey to a tee. Right from the outset she gets you on the side of her character with her rebellious attitude "sticking it" to her parents and some supporting characters around her. As I mentioned, her comedic attitude is on point at all times and delivers plenty of charming and funny moments throughout the film. But she doesn't do it alone as her relationship with Jeff Bridges is the strongest in the film and you quickly find yourself genuinely caring about these two. Her back and forth with Bridges makes for some great scenes some of which bring the laughs and a couple bring the feels. He's like a rock here and like Peregrym doesn't have a bad scene.  Some of the supporting characters work really well in terms of the story and comedically whereas a couple don't. Some of the gymnasts such as Wei Wei (Nikki SooHoo), Mina (Maddy Curley), and Joanne (Vanessa Lengies) are the better supporting roles as they're actually quite enjoyable whenever they're on screen. There's some substance to their characters and there is some personality growth over time which helps. Not as much development that Haley goes through but definitely enough to form intriguing characters. The male supporting roles Frank and Poot played respectively by Kellan Lutz and John Patrick Amedori are odd or lets just say are very 'of-the-time'. They're Haley's friends, the 'cool' skater kids who show up here and there for no reason other than to keep their goofy antics in the story. They have a moment or two that works and is just cheesy enough to where it's funny but most of the time they're pretty cringeworthy.  As for the way the story progresses it's actually a genuinely fun ride mainly because of the presence of Missy Peregrym who brings a certain electricity to each of her scenes. A number of these 90's to early 2000's gymnastics/dance movies hit the same beats and follow a fairly straightforward three-act structure and that is no different here. It definitely goes more or less in the direction you expect but Jessica Bendinger doesn't forget to have fun and embrace the cheesiness just enough to keep you constantly entertained. The first act is strong in getting off the ground, introducing the characters and setting up situations for later down the track. The second act is decent in that there are a couple of sequences that slow the pace down a little. But that I guess is made up by the large number of training montage sequence in here because is wouldn't be a gymnastics movie without the montages. The third act is where Stick It shines as it's  just awesome and so gratifying in how it ties together and pays off all of the setup from the earlier acts.  In the end, Stick It is by no means a masterpiece and you aren't going into this film expecting as such. It is a straight up fun gymnastics movie with a fantastic lead performance from Missy Peregrym and great cheesy dialogue which leaves behind plenty of quotable lines. The presence of Jeff Bridges is definitely a highlight as his acting talents elevate some of the more emotional moments shared with Missy. There is a lot of fun to be had with Stick It and would recommend if anyone is a fan of 90s/2000s gymnastics films.  9/10

• Aug 20, 2018

Surprisingly better than expected!

Surprisingly better than expected!

• Jan 05, 2018

This is a story about young women, who are in a very controlling and subjectively rated sport taking control and taking a stand in support of each other. This is one of my favorite movies.

• Nov 19, 2017

This movie made my day!

This movie made my day!

• Nov 12, 2016

This film takes me back to my angsty, defiant teenage years. Its a perfect portrait of the pain of adolescence. Its also a lot of fun. Realistically you can pick it apart if you want, but understanding that its a fun film, its silly and enjoyable and the stunts are cool enough to make you want to be a little bad ass. So if you have roughly 90 minutes and want an enjoyable film that isn't trying to win Academy Awards for substance, this is a perfectly good choice.

• Aug 11, 2016

I didn't think Stick it was going to be a very good film considering it was from the same director that brought us Bring it On (2000) which sucked however I decided to watch the film and I am happy I did. I first thought that the film was going to be a drama with little to no comedic moments however I was surprised with the amount of comedic moments in the film. Jeff Bridges is one of my all time favorite actors and he stole the show as Burt Vickerman though Bridges has had better roles this was far from his worst performance. Another great performance was Missy Peregrym who played Haley the main character of the film, her performance was actually pretty good and that's not bad considering the fact that she's not a big named actress. Though Stick it has many comedic parts it still has a few dramatic parts in the film as well but honestly the films more of a comedy. Sure Stick it isn't a perfect film and does have a few flaws in it it is far from being a bad film, if you want a sports film that never takes itself seriously than I reccommend Stick it for you.

• Jun 30, 2016

Just take it for what it is.

Just take it for what it is.

• May 26, 2016

All time favorite movie of mine, one of the few movies I can watch over again and never get tired of it.

• Mar 02, 2016