Still Alice Reviews

• Oct 06, 2019

interesting look at someone going through the stages of Alzheimer's and the challenges they face

• Aug 31, 2019

What a terrible disease...and this movie does a great job asking what the essence of a person is.

• Aug 15, 2019

Heart wrenchingly sad but so well done

Heart wrenchingly sad but so well done

• Jul 12, 2019

Julianne Moore is one of the greatest actresses of her generation as proven by brilliant performances in films like Far from Heaven (2002), The Hours (2002) and Maggie's Plan (2015). This is the one that finally earned her an Academy Award and fortunately her talents shine in a film that is a genuinely moving portrait of a woman going through the struggle of having Alzheimer's disease. Going into the film I had relatively low expectations but I was bowled over by the sensitivity with which the film's director is able to capture his subject and the subtle, incisive screenplay. I would absolutely recommend watching this film despite how depressing it is because it's an opportunity to see the struggles of the human experience shown on screen. Successful linguistics professor and mother Alice Howland, Julianne Moore, is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease despite being just fifty years old and begins to struggle at work as her family attempts to aid her in dealing with her progressively worsening condition. For her aspiring actress daughter Lydia, Kristen Stewart, this serves as an opportunity to grow closer to her mother but for her pregnant daughter Anna, Kate Bosworth, it is harder to face her mother. Her husband is eventually unable to cope with watching her break down and leaves but with the help of Lydia she continues to live her life happily. The greatest scenes in the film are those which unfold due to the actions of the protagonist caused by her condition. When we see her leave shampoo in her refrigerator or forget where the bathroom is in a house she has lived in for most of her life we see a situation that feels natural. The concern of her husband as he attempts to ignore her condition or ‘solve' it when there is no viable cure is also honest as he is absolutely not a villain but causes issues in their relationship despite his attempts to help her. Even her children feel like fully developed characters with their own lives as we sense the tension between her two daughters and the quiet nervousness you can see in her son as he asks her about how she is. I appreciated all of this because so many other films that try to deal with how illnesses affect families present them simply as histrionic sufferers instead of real people who have other issues going on in their lives. I could also identify elements of the main character as being a part of my own mother's personality. Her insistence on visiting her daughter after finding our about her diagnosis, the measured way in which she pokes holes in her daughter's arguments and the uncontrollable anger mixed with warm compassion when she finally snaps at those around her. This is a credit to Moore because she is simply stunning setting her character up as a capable, intelligent woman in just a few scenes and then carefully revealing the vulnerabilities in her character as time goes on. I think she earns the Academy Award she received for her work as she does more than just cry or quietly appear destitute. She had strong competition in Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl (2014) and Marion Cotillard in Two Days, One Night (2014) but I feel as though the Academy made the right choice. In terms of the other performers I think Bosworth and Baldwin give remarkable performances while Stewart leaves something to be desired with her relatively flat portrayal of Lydia. I understand that Stewart has her defenders but I do not feel like she does anything with a role that is relatively easy to fill. The rest of the cast, even those who only appear in one scene, excel at applying the same restraint to their performances that Moore does and they truly follow the definition of supporting as none of them seem to be attempting to upstage Moore but instead give her room to fill with her powerful presence. This is a great piece of work from a director who sadly died too young in Richard Glatzer but his own experiences may have informed the film and it's portrayal of Alzheimer's therefore we should appreciate, despite his short life, what he has provided us with.

• May 24, 2019

Still Alice is absolutely brilliant and defignly real!! The acting is very real especially by Moore!

• Mar 22, 2019

Julianne Moore è incredibile, il film però non lascia alcun messaggio, nï¿ 1/2 (C) positivo nè negativo. Inoltre, il rapporto tra Holly e la famiglia è molto vago...l'unica che sembra dare una risposta è Lydia, ma il suo gesto finale con tutte le conseguenze, sono appena abbozzati

• Feb 23, 2019

Simple film. Still hits hard. Alzheimer is not your friend.

Simple film. Still hits hard. Alzheimer is not your friend.

• Dec 16, 2018

Great performance by Julianne Moore. The portrayal of Alzheimer's was revealing and moving. I enjoyed it.

• Dec 07, 2018

This was a great movie. Very heartfelt and interesting. Julianne Moore gave an amazing performance in this film. Kristen Stewart was great in this film too. Rating: 8.6/10

• Nov 26, 2018

Such a sad movie. :( Great actors.

Such a sad movie. :( Great actors.