Still Crazy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Still Crazy Reviews

October 15, 2016
this movie is on my top 5!
January 2, 2016
not just for musicians! hilarious!
½ September 9, 2015
if you thought the full monty was brilliant you'll enjoy this. if you've loved actual brilliant hilarious movies you'll think this is OK
August 16, 2015
Funnier and more touching than This is Spinal Tap, with some rather kick arse tunes.
May 13, 2015
Fun lightweight comedy that borrows a lot from Spinal Tap only not nearly on par with that film.
½ April 5, 2015
STILL CRAZY is a film that I knew precious little about, save some of the cast members. Now having just seen it, I think it's an incredibly fun portrait of an aging rock band reliving their glory days. It follows the basic narrative trajectory that you would expect from this type of film, which is a good and a bad thing. It's good because it works with a tried-and-true formula that is entertaining, but also a little disappointing because it doesn't go out of its way to try anything new or outside-the-box. That being said, it executes the concept very well and benefits from revolving around a fictional band so that it doesn't have to be a slave to formula and history. The characters in the band (including the roadie) created by the principal actors were outstanding, and some of the best work I've seen from these people. They include Bill Nighy as the lead singer, Timothy Spall as the drummer, Stephen Rea as the keyboardist and Billy Connolly (of all people) as the roadie. They (and the other band members whose names I'm not familiar with) were all fully fleshed out and quite funny, perhaps none more so than Timothy Spall who has this great running gag which I won't spoil. They also had great chemistry onscreen and made it seem like they had known each other for years. Last, but not least, the music in this film was amazing. All of it was original and I'm pretty sure that it was performed by the cast as well. The only time when the film falters, in my opinion, is the few moments in which it tries to be a little too sentimental. Again, it's par for the course when considering what genre this is, but it didn't completely work for me. Still, the finale was genuinely touching and mostly made up for the previous missteps. Overall, STILL CRAZY does suffer a bit from following the typical plot mechanics, but the performances and music are enough to highly recommend it.
January 4, 2015
One of my all time favorite movies, and soundtracks. Which if you can find it, it's well worth the money. Just all around great cast, story, and that soundtrack! Man! One of the best I have ever heard.
September 3, 2014
Still Crazy has some great scenes, but it ultimately feels like a rehashing of other, better films.
September 3, 2014
When you see the poster for this movie it tells you everything you need to know. Its a mock cover of the famous Rolling Stone magazine featuring the aging 70's band 'Strange Fruit'. You can tell quite easily the movie is going to be a good laugh by the quite disturbingly haggard and unsexy looking pose from Nighy in the centre, its funny and icky at the same time.

The plot, as you can imagine, is all about getting the band back together for a reunion concert. Back in the day 'Strange Fruit' were on the brink of stardom but it all fell apart when their lead singer died of a drugs overdose. Twenty years later Rea trying to get the guys back on-board whilst having to deal with each members current problems and the confrontations that have reared up again. Eventually, once everybody is brought together again, it is discovered their old lead guitarist (brother of their old lead singer) has also apparently died of a drugs overdose (as is the norm in this business). This forces the band to hire a much younger guitarist for their comeback adding more tension. Can the lads all come together and prove to themselves they've still got what it takes? or they had what it took originally to make it to the big time?

I think the casting is the one main factor that makes this film work, the small British ensemble casting of Nighy, Nail, Rea, Connolly and Spall. Not only does this group of oddball character actors gel together perfectly but visually they actually look like an aging 70's rock band too. Nighy as the flaky somewhat slow long haired rock-star lead singer, Connolly has always looks the part of a hippie rock singer so no worries there, Rea with his curly Brian May hairdo, Nail the deep conscientious heart of the band, the hard worker with strong morals and family values and finally Spall looks like a dirty unwashed biker with Inland Revenue issues.

I liked the whole loggerhead scenario between Nighy's character and Nail's character. Nighy's character being the epitome of a glamorous fame obsessed money grabber, his larger then life rock-star lifestyle clashing against the quiet brooding song writer of Nail's character. Nighy does tend to be the problem in the band for the most part with his overbearing wife and the fact he is still haunted by the reality that he was hired as a replacement for the bands old lead singer. He tries to elevate his performances with glam costumes and stage effects because he's insecure over his own abilities, now being much older. This in turn affects the band and their overall performances which provides both amusing and sober sequences.

The situations and scenarios are really authentic within this film. The group having to slum it around backstreet nightclubs for work and recognition, dodgy stage safety, trying to re-tune their skills whilst bickering with each other, bad food on the go, little money, poor accommodation and the obligatory sex drugs and booze problems. This angle is stronger because its also about a group of old men trying to rekindle something great they once had, reigniting an old flame. The outlook on life and the music is very different from their younger days, its not all about sex drugs and roll 'n' roll anymore, there is more to it than that. Sure they wanna be like their younger selves again and uncork that lightning in a bottle but the team has to learn to settle old scores, move on and help each other with their dreams.

The locations humour visuals and dialog is all typically British and it is a hoot to watch but the fall outs and reconciliations along the way do get a bit frustrating, you just wanna slap them and tell them to get on with it. The movie does tend to drag a tad through the middle, there are some nice montages and some great original musical numbers but the break up of the band midway brings with it lots of moping by Nail's character who can be overly broody. Its mainly Nail Nighy and Rea who carry the film honesty, Connolly and Spall tend to fade in and out of the background whilst Matheson does his best Liam Gallagher walk at one point. The finale and its little twist is cute but completely predictable, but we all knew it would end on a happy note I'm sure.

A fantastic nod to the late 60's 70's glam rock era of course, many influences, very relatable for many I'm sure and very very very British with its dry wit and toilet humour. Personally I think the film should of been called 'Strange Fruit'...rock 'n' roll forever!
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
February 24, 2014
Good Movie...a surprisingly entertaining look into the 70's glam rock era. It's at times funny and dramatic...can have a truly humorous moment and in the next few minutes hit you with real raw drama. Was a lot of fun and "The Flame Still Burns" has to be one of the greatest little known songs I've ever heard! Well Done!
February 10, 2014
I really like Still Crazy. It's a fun film with good music and a good cast. This movie is well worth a watch. 4 stars from me.
½ July 17, 2013
A terrific cast and witty script make this Brit flick funny and entertaining, with Bill Nighy playing a character much like the one he did in Love Actually, for which he got the Golden Globe. Very memorable and enjoyable.
July 7, 2013
A good film that shares an insight into Rock n Roll 70's. The film has some classic rock cliche and great comedy scenes. The characters are very good as are the main cast and Bill Nighy and Timothy Spall play great parts. Good Film 4 Stars
April 17, 2013
Written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais (The Likely Lads, Porridge and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.) and directed by Brian Gibson, (Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986), What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) and The Juror (1996)), this is a very funny comedy about the pains of getting back together after being away for so long, and it has a very good cast and some good songs along the way as well. In 1977, rock band Strange Fruit split up on stage at the Wisbech Rock Festival after a bolt of lightning struck the stage, plus drugs and over-inflated egos also contributed to the split. Flash forwards 20 years, and keyboardist Tony Costello (Stephen Rea) is recognised in Ibiza, and is asked if he would get Strange Fruit back together for a revivial of the Wisbech Rock Festival, he finds original runaround girl Karen Knowles (Juliet Aubrey), and they go and track down the Fruits. Bassist Les Wickes (Jimmy Nail) is a roofer, lead singer Ray Simms (Bill Nighy) is nearly bankrupt and drummer Beano Baggot (Timothy Spall) is on the run from the Inland Revenue, but original roadie Hughie Case (Billy Connolly) gets them gigs in Holland. It's got some moments of hilarity, moments of pathos, moments of rock and roll excess and moments of good music, and there's some good camaraderie between the cast, even if it is oldies getting into mischief.
March 31, 2013
the definition of awesomeness
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
October 25, 2012
This movie is tremendous for uplifting the Spirits.

Every time I watch it, I see & hear funny little things that I missed before.

The soundtrack is unbelievable. Mick Jones (Foreigner) and Chris Difford (Squeeze) penned the songs, making Strange Fruit the best thing that ever hit today's music scene.

Unfortunately, Strange Fruit are a strictly fictitional washed up '60's to 70's band that were never good to begin with, due to drug use and inner fighting. One wonders what might have been, while listening to their fanatstic soundtrack.

The Fruit draw inspiration from The Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, David Bowie, and The Who.

Each member of Fruit are quite memorable. Stephen Rea stars as down-and-dead-broke Tony Costello, who is asked by a festival promoter to reunite his band for a reunion tour, with hopes of reaping monetary benefits. Costello haply approaches ex-roadie Karen Knowles, played by Juliet Aubrey, to help him rekindle the flame of a dream long past.

Juliet gathers up the bitter Jimmy Nail (Les Wickes), blundering Timothy Spall (David 'Beano' Baggot), and extravagantly glamouresque Ray Simms (Bill Nighy). Tumbling in is another ex-roadie, the hippy-toker-jokester Hughie (Billy Connolly), who never let the flame burn out.

As Juliet searches for the last member of their motley band, the elusive guitarist-songwriter Brian Lovell (played by the brooding Bruce Robinson), the reunited members squabble, just like old times, fighting over each others' rusty talent.

The band is then given the chance to do a small Dutch tour, to prepare for the festival. With young Hendrix-like Luke Shand (Hans Matheson) taking the place of Lovell, the crew hits the road. The sparks fly as their memories flame forward, threatening to burn their unfinished goals...

Be prepared to laugh, sing, cheer, and cry, as these memorable characters etch themselves back into your hearts...
August 6, 2012
It seems so easy to draw comparisons to this movie - Eddie and the Cruisers, This Is Spinal Tap, any film where "we're putting the band back together". It shares elements with all of those, but it's a stand alone story in its own right. This is just one of those great movies where it all comes together. Great cast, excellent music, dialogue that rings true with every laugh. If you've somehow managed to not see this movie, change that now!
March 9, 2012
Has it's moments but too few of them - overrated.