Stir Crazy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stir Crazy Reviews

October 8, 2016
Pryor and Wilder are just so great together. I wish they made a hundred movies together. Lots of fun, I especially liked the big guy.
September 19, 2016
Although my appreciation for Wilder and Pryor's talents is timeless, this comedy based on old-fashioned racial and prison stereotypes is not.
September 11, 2016
Men dancing in in Woodpecker sutis who get chucked into jail and then try to escape. Pure Comedy
September 5, 2016
Dated and unfunny. Sorry Gene & Richard, you were better than this.
August 27, 2016
"Yea, that's right! That's right! We bad!"
½ May 11, 2016
Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, the original dynamic duo. Excellent movie.
February 27, 2016
An inspired comedy title, Stir Crazy blends several inventive, high-spirited performing talents into a tangy, cheerful entertainment. One very surprising fact that I didn't realize until now was that Stir Crazy was directed by Sidney Poitier. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, here and in Silver Streak, gave the world some fine examples of the buddy comedy genre. This is not coarse, broadly played humor (a la Dumb and Dumber) but a lower-key, average-guys-in-trouble sort of situational comedy well suited to the talents of this pair of actors. In a way, this is really more Wilder's film than Pryor's. That's no slight on Pryor; Wilder just ends up getting more screen time. He presents a hilariously bizarre, complex character who is full of contradictions--kind of a channeling of a less loquacious Woody Allen through a more down to earth version of his Willy Wonka. Watching Stir Crazy at this later point in time, some of the humor might seem a bit clichéd to younger viewers. It's important to remember that this is where a lot of those "clichés" came from. It's also fairly suspenseful and surprisingly serious at times in the last act. Director Sidney Poitier makes a smooth transition through many genres--buddy film, road movie, fish out of water story and prison film, aided of course by Wilder and Pryor.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
October 21, 2015
I prefer "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" that also stars Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. "Stir Crazy" wasn't all that funny.
½ October 1, 2015
The first half hour advances rapidly, the chemistry between Wilder and Pryor is smoothly marvellous. The rest is some fuckin' rodeo that's barely watchable.
½ July 22, 2015
Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor aren't as funny together as you would think. From their movies I've seen I've never really thought that they worked well as a comedy team. Stir Crazy is just another run-of-the-mill movie. (First and only viewing - 7/22/2015)
½ June 9, 2015
Two good-hearted but bumbling souls are mistakenly arrested for a robbery they didn't commit in this comedy, the second of several teamings of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Seeking to clear their name, the two eventually plan to escape from prison and try to track down the real thieves.
½ March 15, 2015
This is one those films that could have been really funny, but it simply fails in a lot of areas. To be completely fair, the story is sensibly written, even though the film's ending somehow makes very little sense. However, a big problem I have with the story is that too much of the film is spent on building up to the main plot, and this is a film with not enough time to spend on back-story. In fact, I contend that some scenes, including the unnecessarily drawn-out prison rodeo, felt like they shouldn't even be in the film at all. The characters don't really react to their situation in a comic way, although their performances, I must say, are quite decent. Really, I find that this film feels like a formulaic comedy film that spends too much time developing its central premise, and not enough effort on what could have been a great script. It does have some genuinely funny moments, but those don't make up for a botched effort. This could have been a really good movie, but something went wrong, and the strange thing about it is that I can't really figure out what mistake the producers ultimately made.
½ February 23, 2015
Although most will point to Silver Streak as the best collaboration of Pryor and Wilder, I would argue that this one allows them to be more of themselves. And while this movie was accurately is described as uneven, the parts that work are incredibly funny, and cinema magic.
½ February 16, 2015
Richard's best comedy,this was rip roaring the first time I saw it and still funny the last.
February 2, 2015
There's not a whole lot wrong with Stir Crazy except the plain fact that it's just not funny.
½ November 9, 2014
***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***
November 9, 2014
When Pryor and Wilder get it right there are moments of pure quality comedy gold but there also time when it misfires and you get both of that in this film. Still worth watching though for those golden moments
August 29, 2014
Most of the laughs in this comedy come from Gene Wilder's hopelessly optimistic belief that everyone he meets has some good just waiting to be brought out of them. That he succeeds again and again produces even more laughs. Sadly, Pryor play second fiddle to him here, having many good lines, but lacking the physical comedy to back a lot of them up.

Where this movie kinda goes off the rails is in the last third, which is mostly a rodeo scene. By this point, the film has dragged on a bit too long, and it slows to a glacial pace here in order to overemphasize an almost heist-like plot which is a bizarre transition from the first half of the film as a buddy comedy.

I liked Stir Crazy, but I'd rather have just watched two hours of Wilder and Pryor riffing at each other. Sad to say, but the plot gets in the way of the characters.
July 7, 2014
Charming, funny, and wierd are the words to explain gene wilder and Richard pryors characters in this movie. Loved it! Pryor
And wilder had great chemistry in this movie, as they did with stir crazy.
June 8, 2014
Some funny moments, but it's pretty forgettable.