Storm Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Storm Boy Reviews

December 4, 2016
A simple but enduring kid's film about a young boy & his unlikely friendship between an Indigenous Young Adult & pelican.

By no means a great film or a vehicle for great acting but it has its own charm & some stunning shots of Murray River.

A likable film that grows on you scene by scene & is a gem despite being a low key production.
March 30, 2015
Excuse the pun, but the pelican should have top billing.
½ June 5, 2014
Storm Boy is a gem of a film. Modestly and carefully made, it is a skillful adaptation of a kid's book.
½ December 23, 2012
While the film has not aged gracefully, "Storm Boy" remains a key cornerstone of modern Australian culture.

The classic tale tells of a boy, Mike (dubbed Storm Boy by an Aboriginal friend) who lives with his father on the edge of a nature reserve in the Coorong, an estuary at the point where the Murray River meets the Southern Ocean.

It is the story of his friendship with the Aboriginal he meets, and, more importantly, the tragic friendship with the pelican he saved, Mr Percival.

This film has personal value to me, since the book by the late Colin Theile was one of my favourites as a child, and I also live nearby to the Coorong, and often saw Gringo (the pelican who portrayed Mr Percival) at the Adelaide Zoo.

It has some notable issues - the Aboriginal character, "Fingerbone Bill" is full of stereotypes, though not intentional ones - but the journey of Storm Boy is certainly worth the effort.
December 18, 2010
An Australian classic. Mr Percival will be in my heart forever.
½ August 18, 2010
Okay, but disappointing considering it's supposed to be an Aussie classic.
August 18, 2010
Great Aussie Film...A boy and hes pelican...And their freindship for each other...Storm Boy is so sad...
½ July 16, 2010
I feel so bad for the pelican.
½ June 28, 2010
I saw this as a kid but couldn't remember many details of it. Luckily ABC dragged it out on Saturday night so I could refresh my memory.
Its a good movie as long as one takes into account it is more than 30 years old. I was glad I stayed up to watch it.
February 25, 2010
Gr8 Aussie movie about a boi and his love for a pelican and how their friend ship saves the birds life!! like an earlier Free Willy but not so soppy as the American movie!!
February 6, 2010
One of my favorite all time! This is pure Aussie flick & it shows how good we do it!A must see for the whole family!
December 17, 2009
My favourite Australian Drama
½ October 16, 2009
Beautiful but saddening story
August 30, 2009
A naive and haunting story. The imagery and atmosphere make it unforgettable.
February 26, 2009
saw it in like yr 6 really good so sad
October 20, 2008
I love this film, even though it's sad.
May 24, 2008
one of my fave australian films.
May 20, 2008
A classic Australian drama movie, about a boy and his pelican. I remember seeing this when I was a kid.
½ April 14, 2008
I remember watching this at school.....over a period of many classes. I liked the scenery and the pelican the best :D but i do remember it was a moving film
March 2, 2008
Learnt which bits of pelicans taste best,wine best to have with it and recommend highly.Movie that is...