Straw Dogs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Straw Dogs Reviews

December 2, 2016
I actually didn't watch the original Straw Dogs, and wanted to see it instead of the remake when I was trying to find Straw Dogs and rent it. I've heard the original is better, and I can bet on it because even though the remake of Straw Dogs is a good movie, it could've been better. The acting is great, and the writing is decent. The villains were obvious as I know who some of the characters are and while they acted convincing at first, they get less and less convincing. The characters are fine, and it's a bit interesting which I hoped it is a bit more interesting, until the final battle at the end that is. The final battle is a bit exciting to watch, and I just wanted the main characters to survive, although James Marsden's character was kind of hard to root for as he's a bit too mean-spirited to his wife which at the point I was thinking, "How is his wife still married to him?" As is, the remake of Straw Dogs has enough effort in it that I was a bit entertained from it, even if it has a lot of problems.
½ August 21, 2016
This movie is stupid with no means!!!! This movie don't even deserve a half a star but a middle finger!!
July 29, 2016
As the film slowly builds towards the inevitable climax you would be forgiven for thinking you were enjoying this film. The tension between the characters oozes through and you aren't really sure which character is the most annoying, however as the film meanders on the plot threads unravel sharply and an anti-climatic finale takes over. Sub-plots fail to ever link in to the main narrative and too many unnecessary savagery takes place. For the blood thirst and edgy scenes we have to care about the characters involved but sadly in this case we do not. A sub plot with Dominic Purcell's mentally disabled Jeremy never gets closure or any empathy making the lead characters choice to defend him even more obscure. The performances aren't great, the script is too expositional and foreshadows way too much, and the direction fails to excite. The story is well known but unfortunately you have to sit through ninety minutes of plodding to get to the parts you were waiting for, and even they don't hit the mark.
June 16, 2016
It was a decent thriller. Was very slow build up and very predictable. But the climax was pretty solid and violent.
May 1, 2016
Just watch the better version with Dustin Hoffman
½ April 10, 2016
A highly unlikely story about extreme violence brought on because a woman dared return to small town Mississippi with her California husband. Jealous former boyfriend and his chums make life difficult because he never got over her - and shows her so by raping her. Nice! Better than average acting but a hokey story.
½ March 6, 2016
This movie is awful. I hated nearly every character, even the "good" characters. The only truly good character in the film was the sheriff. The story wasn't good. It wasn't worth sitting through the uncomfortable rape scene to get to the rest of the film. I figured this wasn't going to be great, but this was bad. Don't waste your time on this one.
½ February 29, 2016
I knew it wouldn't be as god as the original, i knew they would misplace some important tension just to make sure everybody is following. But to ignore the moment when his wife wants to betray him at the end, the moment he realises that he is in fact alone in this is a bad mistake! Hillbillies can get that concept too you know!
½ February 8, 2016
"GRIPPING | TACKY | ULTRA-VIOLENT" (81-out-of-100)
February 2, 2016
Poetic justice! Very violent ending.
December 1, 2015
C'mon guys! Just because the original version is a classic thriller, doesn't mean that you have to do a shot for shot, over acted remake for a modern day audience! You still haven't learned a damn thing from all the mistakes you people have made, such as "The Omen: 2006", eh!?
December 1, 2015
This ain't no Peckinpah flick. Terrible.
November 5, 2015
A disturbing and well-made remake. It manages to shock with an average (by today's standards) amount of violence. I have not had the luxury of seeing the original, nor have I gotten the original's message of pacifism. But I will agree that this film celebrates violence. In conclusion, it goes against the original's moral but that doesn't stop Straw Dogs from being an entertaining film.
½ September 23, 2015
Screenwriter hates violence; wife hates bras. Both decide to move to Mississippi. The town of Black Water can't afford to change the population on their "Welcome to Black Water" sign and decide to murder them, but only manage to break the writer's eyeglasses.
½ July 27, 2015
Doesn't compare to the original whatsoever, and kind of felt like Marsden and Bosworth had horrible chemistry. I know they're supposed to play roles of a couple in disagreement about how things should be handled, but it just didn't feel like they worked well together. Didn't feel this one too much but the second half of movie kept me watching.
July 27, 2015
Not familiar with the original I didn't know what to expect from this, but as it turns out, his is very good so now I have to see the original. The story is somewhat interesting, the leads are likeable and the villains are not and the violence at the end is very well done, especially the very last kill (OUCH). The one problem I have, and maybe it is explained more in the original, is the fact that Amy has done to her what she has done to her, and she never tell anyone, especially her husband, what happened, does that mean she is not who she says she is, or is she too embarrassed to upset her husband. Other than that though, it is a very well made movie. RECOMMENDED
June 9, 2015
A horrible exercise in lazy filmmaking with sexist undertones and glorified violence. Lacking a plot, remotely likable characters and coherence of any sort. Even the deaths of those stupid redneck jocks felt unsatisfactory.
April 9, 2015
Ninguém espera encontrar epifanias numa porta de frigorífico, mas aquela, na casa dos meus primos, disse-nos muito sobre como alguns objectos pop resistem ou não ao tempo. Acontece que, entre todos os autocolantes naquele frigorífico, os que permaneciam em melhor condição eram os de figuras dos Simpsons e da Guerra das Estrelas (duas entidades intemporais e muito adoradas). Por sua vez os autocolantes de fenómenos mais efémeros (Sponge Bobs e mascotes de sei lá que campeonato de futebol) estavam quase todos meio-descolados e com umas cores estranhas. Ali mesmo, num velho frigorífico, estavam óptimos exemplos para explicar o ciclo das coisas pop. Pois bem, o remake de "Straw Dogs" é um autocolante que decalca praticamente tudo do original, sem abandalhar e com alguns rasgos respeitáveis, é verdade, mas está totalmente condenado a descolar-se da memória em menos tempo que o Sponge Bob. Falta-lhe um Dustin Hoffman que, no seu auge, terá sido das forças maiores de praticamente todos os filmes por onde passou. Falta-lhe também muito do carisma e sentimento áspero do original. O "Straw Dogs" de 71 era um filme que praticamente utilizava o nosso estômago como saco de boxe e que nos deixava com a ideia de que bastava uma mão cheia de homens violentos para instalar o inferno na terra. Quarenta anos depois, a réplica realizada por Rod Lurie nunca chega a perturbar realmente as vísceras, mas a seu favor tem uma boa montagem, em que um jogo de futebol-americano coincide com a apoteose de todas as tensões.
April 8, 2015
The original is A LOT more thought-provoking, Like a similar remake, The Last House on the Left, the problem with Straw Dogs is that it makes its protagonists even more viciously violent than the villains. Yet despite its flaws, I enjoyed this remake a lot. Rod Lurie creates a pulse-pounding thriller with some really impressive cinematography.