Straw Dogs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Straw Dogs Reviews

April 17, 2017
looks bad lol (i heart alexander skarsgÄrd when he's bad)
½ April 15, 2017
the movie really sucks. everything about it feels mean spirited. the only good thing about it is that at the end of the movie you come out discussing about how shitty the movie is
½ April 11, 2017
Not the original but ok
½ March 19, 2017
The brutal ending nearly redeems this otherwise dull and pointless movie, moral of which is seems don't go killing people's cats...
February 6, 2017
I enjoyed this version.
December 2, 2016
I actually didn't watch the original Straw Dogs, and wanted to see it instead of the remake when I was trying to find Straw Dogs and rent it. I've heard the original is better, and I can bet on it because even though the remake of Straw Dogs is a good movie, it could've been better. The acting is great, and the writing is decent. The villains were obvious as I know who some of the characters are and while they acted convincing at first, they get less and less convincing. The characters are fine, and it's a bit interesting which I hoped it is a bit more interesting, until the final battle at the end that is. The final battle is a bit exciting to watch, and I just wanted the main characters to survive, although James Marsden's character was kind of hard to root for as he's a bit too mean-spirited to his wife which at the point I was thinking, "How is his wife still married to him?" As is, the remake of Straw Dogs has enough effort in it that I was a bit entertained from it, even if it has a lot of problems.
½ August 21, 2016
This movie is stupid with no means!!!! This movie don't even deserve a half a star but a middle finger!!
July 29, 2016
As the film slowly builds towards the inevitable climax you would be forgiven for thinking you were enjoying this film. The tension between the characters oozes through and you aren't really sure which character is the most annoying, however as the film meanders on the plot threads unravel sharply and an anti-climatic finale takes over. Sub-plots fail to ever link in to the main narrative and too many unnecessary savagery takes place. For the blood thirst and edgy scenes we have to care about the characters involved but sadly in this case we do not. A sub plot with Dominic Purcell's mentally disabled Jeremy never gets closure or any empathy making the lead characters choice to defend him even more obscure. The performances aren't great, the script is too expositional and foreshadows way too much, and the direction fails to excite. The story is well known but unfortunately you have to sit through ninety minutes of plodding to get to the parts you were waiting for, and even they don't hit the mark.
June 16, 2016
It was a decent thriller. Was very slow build up and very predictable. But the climax was pretty solid and violent.
May 1, 2016
Just watch the better version with Dustin Hoffman
½ April 10, 2016
A highly unlikely story about extreme violence brought on because a woman dared return to small town Mississippi with her California husband. Jealous former boyfriend and his chums make life difficult because he never got over her - and shows her so by raping her. Nice! Better than average acting but a hokey story.
½ March 6, 2016
This movie is awful. I hated nearly every character, even the "good" characters. The only truly good character in the film was the sheriff. The story wasn't good. It wasn't worth sitting through the uncomfortable rape scene to get to the rest of the film. I figured this wasn't going to be great, but this was bad. Don't waste your time on this one.
½ February 29, 2016
I knew it wouldn't be as god as the original, i knew they would misplace some important tension just to make sure everybody is following. But to ignore the moment when his wife wants to betray him at the end, the moment he realises that he is in fact alone in this is a bad mistake! Hillbillies can get that concept too you know!
½ February 8, 2016
"GRIPPING | TACKY | ULTRA-VIOLENT" (81-out-of-100)
February 2, 2016
Poetic justice! Very violent ending.
December 1, 2015
C'mon guys! Just because the original version is a classic thriller, doesn't mean that you have to do a shot for shot, over acted remake for a modern day audience! You still haven't learned a damn thing from all the mistakes you people have made, such as "The Omen: 2006", eh!?
December 1, 2015
This ain't no Peckinpah flick. Terrible.
November 5, 2015
A disturbing and well-made remake. It manages to shock with an average (by today's standards) amount of violence. I have not had the luxury of seeing the original, nor have I gotten the original's message of pacifism. But I will agree that this film celebrates violence. In conclusion, it goes against the original's moral but that doesn't stop Straw Dogs from being an entertaining film.
½ September 23, 2015
Screenwriter hates violence; wife hates bras. Both decide to move to Mississippi. The town of Black Water can't afford to change the population on their "Welcome to Black Water" sign and decide to murder them, but only manage to break the writer's eyeglasses.