Streets of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Streets of Fire Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
Culturally significant '80s film of a dystopian 1950's with one of the best soundtracks of all time in film.. and.. a sledgehammer battle!
½ June 2, 2016
Just a lot of fun, and a terrific musical coda "Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young".
May 29, 2016
"Streets of Fire" is little more than a ninety-minute long music video (sonically, I mean), and that's what I like best about it. Described as "A Rock & Roll Fable" in its opening credits and in its advertisements, it's unapologetic in its sound and its fury - it's an exercise in style unafraid of its insubstantiality. It sets out to be an orgy of visual and atmospheric electricity and does so with creative sanguineness that works much more often than it doesn't. I'm not so sure the film's story is as incendiary as its aesthetic voluptuousness, but in the scope of a said rock and roll fable, the absence of a sturdy storyline is excusable.
Co-written (with Larry Gross) and directed by Walter Hill, one of the most undervalued filmmakers of the 1970s and '80s, "Streets of Fire" stars Michael Paré as Tom Cody, an ex-soldier hired to rescue his former girlfriend, Ellen (Diane Lane), a rock singer whom has been kidnapped by a gaggle of vicious bikers. Aided by McCoy (Amy Madigan), a tough-as-nails street tough, and Billy Fish (Rick Moranis), Ellen's current lover, salvation seems eminent, considering the hardened scrappiness that backs the trio. But because the bikers, known to most as The Bombers (led by a young Willem Dafoe), are wired with inherent brutality that turns patience into an unheard-of virtue, one can only hope that our heroes can find victory in this race against time.
And while "Streets of Fire's" race against time isn't quite the pulse-pounding adventure we'd like it to be - it's too in love with its attitude and its characters to put all its attention onto concocting tense thrills - the film, nonetheless, is a memorable one because its images are so stunning, because its swagger is so tangible. Hill's impertinence is something to behold: just look at the way he captures characteristics of the 1950s, the 1980s, and a dystopian future, and how he integrates the greatest components of the film noir, the musical, and the ballsy action movie with shameless enthusiasm. Look and tone is what he's after, and Hill, fortunately, has the lusty envisioning necessary to pull off such daring.
I do wish its elite imagery were matched by a suspenseful story - its performers, especially the campily rough Paré and the tough-talking Madigan, are deserving of material more indebted to them than to their surroundings - but when a movie is as splendidly shot as "Streets of Fire" is, it's difficult to nitpick through faults when it all was never meant to be classified as high entertainment. The movie wants to be optically stimulating and appealing to youthful fantasy, and its proficiency is something to behold.
½ May 28, 2016
Such an awesome fantasy. Michael Pare is the genuine bad ass, as usual. Still love the ending.
½ May 7, 2016
It was conceived as a "movie about visuals" but never mind, the music is the only great thing in it - especially in the exciting opening and closing scenes -, since the script is a colossal piece of crap with no structure, the dialogue is simply awful and the performances are pathetic.
½ March 11, 2016
I got a "The Warriors" vibe off of this, unsurprising that it's directed by Walter Hill who did that film too. Streets Of Fire is a film with a unique setting that's a cross between the 50's in production design and wardrobe and 80's in music and character personalities. A popular rockstar female is kidnapped by a ruthless gang, and her ex-boyfriend tough hero Cody returns home, and takes care of business HIS way. Michael Pare's acting isn't always in top form, coming off Stallone-ish in terms of dumbing down dialogue and a bit wooden, but there's something about his careefree nature and hiding emotion in favor of looking tough that makes his character so cool and admirable. The film doesn't break any ground, but it does stand out for having a unique production design and some solid, even if straightforward action. The music sequences stretch a bit long, but otherwise Streets Of Fire is a cultish flick that's worth a look for 80's cult movie people and to see The Warriors with a bit more a thicker story and 80's touch.
January 4, 2016
An absolute masterpiece, and my favourite action film in terms of aesthetic (here expressed by a great interaction of art direction and photography) : Hill brilliantly stages a hard boiled, Frank Miller-like yarn with Michael Paré asthe Mrlowesque antihero and Diane Lane as the femme fatale/singer. Everybody's perfectly cast here (and Hill's bold as usual in getting not so poular actors for the leads), the songs are great, so are the cars and the action.
It would have been 1984 Oscar pick for six awards at least : picture, directing, original screenplay, cinematography, art direction, original song (I can deam about you), and I would have considered it for editing too.
December 6, 2015
Extraña y confusa... divertida e interesante.
½ August 26, 2015
Ry Cooder, Walter Hill and Willem Defoe, what's not to like!! film bombed on its release, not sure why, enjoyed watching it again last night
August 21, 2015
My head knows this thing is atrocious but it just pushes all my buttons. My favorite guilty pleasure, and it should be yours too.
½ August 4, 2015
This movie...it's as if the 50's and the 80's had a love child, and it that child was William Defoe, channeling Kiefer Sutherland's David from the Lost Boys plus Edward Cullen...and then they gave him crack. If you thought the man was creepy before, there's a particular scene with latex overalls and fire that just cranks it up to 11.

Great movie if you love the 80's. The visuals are awesome, a combination of 50's scenery and cars mixed with tons of neon and 80's punk dress/music. Plot is so-so -the concept is straightforward but halfway through the movie it turns into a live action series of TV Tropes (which are fun, don't get me wrong, but derail the plot a bit). There are numerous scenes where the actors are clearly reading rather than performing their lines, and there's no chemistry between the male lead and his damsel in distress. But seeing Rick Moranis hamming it up as a sniveling business manager, Bill Paxton in a bit part as a wimpy barkey, Amy Madigan as a surprisingly interesting Action Girl and a young William Defoe being a creepy creeper of all creeps is more than worth it.

If you want a movie that will trigger 80's nostalgia and is a good romp to watch with a beer, this is it. If you're looking for art, you probably want something else. But this movie is what gave us the 80's hit song 'I Can Dream About You', and for that alone I give it top marks. )
July 15, 2015
A great movie that is greatly shot with a decent amount of action and an amazing soundtrack
April 15, 2015
Great soundtrack, lively characters and cliché as all get out!
½ April 13, 2015
Not that much fun....great soundtrack but surprisingly uninteresting.
March 5, 2015
this movie is kick-ass and hillarious
January 11, 2015
I love this movie its the best
October 7, 2014
Love...this...movie!
½ September 4, 2014
Despite the rockin' intro and outro, this is basically a semi-musical version of Hill's own The Warriors, but without much excitement or coherent narrative.
½ August 4, 2014
Streets of Fire was manufactured in a Hollywood lab, by old producers that were completely out of touch with their target audience. I was part of the then young generation they were trying to wow with this movie.
July 4, 2014
The "super thin" story line actually sets a tone sustained thru out the movie which is more auditory and visual than narrative. It is a major variant of the tone of "Rock and Roll", which is what the movie declares at the very beginning.