Style Wars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Style Wars Reviews

April 26, 2017
Classic hip hop movie
December 28, 2014
A fun look at the start of graffiti.
½ June 24, 2014
As far as the graffiti and hip hop culture is concerned, Style Wars is the beginning to anyone's education. One of the defining moments in both cultures, Style Wars represents the birth of a culture which is still growing to this day. A must see classic if you love street art, graffiti or hip hop.
May 18, 2014
One of the best documentaries ever made and hands down the best hip hop documentary... Except for the narrator.
August 10, 2013
Excelente documentário sobre a golden age do graffiti em Nova Iorque e o seu lugar na cultura hip-hop demonstra também que uma arte tão efervescente só dispõe de um determinado tempo para ser autenticamente underground. Apesar de claramente deslumbrada pelo graffiti, a perspectiva dos autores Henry Chalfont e Tony Silver é suficientemente neutra para dar tempo de antena aos principais opositores da arte de rua e alguns desses testemunhos chegam a ser bastante engraçados (e sarcásticos). Além dos guardiões dos bons costumes, há ainda outro vilão bastante improvável (chamado Cap) para descobrir no "Style Wars".
June 3, 2013
At this point, it is a nice nostalgic look at the beginnings of Graffiti art, hip hop and rap.
January 31, 2013
A remarkable view on one of the many subcultures that arose around the 1970/80's.
January 15, 2013
En av de mest målande dokumentärer jag sett. En hel tidsanda fångad i en sprayburk.
December 17, 2012
Interesting look at a subculture; great soundtrack.
½ November 5, 2012
Wonderful doc about a fleeting, beautiful period in NYC history. I'd like to say I think if these guys were coming up now, the city would be more embracing and understanding of the validity of the art, but honestly I doubt it.
October 28, 2012
This was enjoyable on so many levels.

2008 Movies: 159
October 18, 2012
Interesting watching this almost 30yrs after it was made. Funny how Graffiti is now accepted as art and not vandalism.
June 30, 2012
I thought that this documentary provided a unique in depth look into the beginning of the hip-hop culture in and around the 1980's. Explaining the beginnings of three key elements in hip-hop culture, Break dancing, rapping, and graffiti; it allows the viewer to see why and how the graffiti artists, rappers, and dancers, do these things the way they do and why. It analyzes and looks into the hip-hop culture explaining that these three aspects, are the spoken word, physical expression, and artistic expression of hip-hop. However I believe that in this day and age, if it was to really try to explain hip-hop it has become outdated. It's really great for an introduction and perspective on why Hip-Hop started and happened in the time period it did. However it doesn't really touch on rap that much as that really took off in the early 90's and at this point has evolved into a much different genre then it was shown as in the video. So in terms of relevance now, when talking about rap it doesn't really cut it. In terms of relevance in accordance with break dancing its similar to rap but a little more relevant because breakdancing was more popular around then. I think relevancy in accordance with graffiti is pretty good still, because graffiti has died down in our lifetime and isn't the cool new fab it was back then. It also looks at graffiti a little more in depth than the other aspects of hip-hop and fully explores many sides of the cultural struggle that it went through; from the police side, to the taggers, and then to the graffiti bombers. All in all it is pretty well done and offers a unique perspective on hip-hop in the 1980's.
November 29, 2011
"Le meilleur documentaire sur l'art du graffiti et sur la culture Hip Hop, tout simplement..."
½ November 20, 2011
Nothing fancy about they documentary style or editing, they just let it roll. Which is fine by me as the subject of 1980s NYC graffiti, b-boy, hip-hop sub-culture is a fascinating one and the kids in this are the real deal.
January 21, 2011
Started out interesting then about 15 minutes in you realize the film maker was just going to tell the same story over and over just from a different thug, we get it you spray painted sub ways cars in NY in the 80's and thought it made you cool we don't need to hear the same story 100 times in hour and 7 minute long documentary this made this hour or so feel like 5 hours of pure misery!
January 18, 2011
classic. 1983 was a good year :)
August 14, 2010
A True Classic, Best Graffiti Doc. out there!
March 17, 2010
classic. a must see for anyone wanting to know about hip hop culture and Graf art.