Man of Steel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man of Steel Reviews

July 20, 2017
Would not a godlike entity on earth bring forth uncomfortable uncertainty? Finally Superman captured "realistically."
July 20, 2017
Justice League is a few months away so, while I'm waiting, I go take a look at the film that started it all: Man of Steel, a movie which exists to pave the way for the DC Extended Universe, a universe intended to rival the MCU but has only 100% succeeded with Wonder Woman. Man of Steel may be overlong and humourless but it's still a lot better than what the critics give it credit for. The action sequences are awesome, the performances are great and the special effects are spectacular. Zack Snyder manages to not suck at his job of directing the movie, Hans Zimmer does a good job in composing the film's score and Christopher Nolan does a good job as a producer. While I admit David S. Goyer could've written a better script than the one seen in the final cut, especially when compared to the screenplays from The Dark Knight trilogy, the film itself is still pretty exciting. I admire the realistic tone it's going for here. The circumstances actually seem plausible for an alien who looks like a regular Earth human. General Zod also makes for a great villain as he provides pretty good reasons as to why he wants to cause Earth genocide and isn't merely doing the things he's doing out of sadism and wanting to watch the world burn. Despite a couple of setbacks, its undeniably amazing visuals and action help make Man of Steel, in terms of superhero movies, the real deal.
July 18, 2017
I usually agree with the critics 85% of the time. This is not one of them. Man of Steel is obviously flawed however it was enough to catch my attention and at some points got me emotional. The movie started off great showing how a father is willing to sacrifice everything to keep his son alive. And each every time, a flashback is shown of Clark as a youth, my eyes starts getting watery due to the life that Clark had to suffer through as an pariah.

The best part about the movie wasn't the acting though it was great, nor the story itself. It was the father-son relationship whether it was with Jor El or Johnathan. They both showed huge support and sacrifice for their beloved son. Jor El gave up his life to make sure that Clark can create a new species of Krypton and settle in a new area and meeting new people. John advised Clark that he has to be careful with his power and that he has to wait for the right time to expose who he really is. Even though they are not biologically related, John obviously showed that he loves Clark no matter what and he will always be a son to him and that one day he knew that Clark was going to accomplish something on Earth. John had a lot of faith in him knowing that he is the answer to everything. There is also one scene that truly is inspiring and really shows what a great father Johnathan is.

The movie really reflected mostly on Clark's identity and trying to figure out answers. This was well maintained in the beginning however the movie started to move a bit slow in the middle of the movie but picked right back up again. I will say though there was a bit too much action especially at the end. I think Zack should of had tuned it down a bit and shouldn't had made it too complicated. The story was well written but it wasn't as strong as what we would see in the Batman trilogy especially since we got Nolan part of the movie. Another awe moment was the scores that were played in the movie. As always Hans Zimmer never disappoints and every time I heard a background song playing, I started getting the shakes. Also after all of the chaos was over with, they showed this one great scene with John and Clark playing in the yard with a cloak on and wow was I down right emotional.

Man of Steel is one of the best movies this year but not the best. I can't wait for the DVD to come out and I certainly can't wait to see Man of Steel 2.
July 17, 2017
Not exactly the Superman movie I was anticipating, nor wanting. Man of Steel crafts a Superman movie without the Super being involved, instead trading out for parental issues, super fits, and odd pacing. Overall the film does have some interesting ideas abound and some breathtaking action pieces, but this is a film that seems to have failed to realize that Superman is a series that is meant to have some lightheartedness to it.

2 Stars for excessive brooding/pouting...
½ July 17, 2017
This is actually a really good movie. Yes it's on the dark side, yes the action is at times a bit over the top. What did you expect, It's a Warner Bros. movie. This is the studio that gave you dark classics like Blade Runner and the Matrix. Take a look again, It's deeper, more logical, and much more fun then people give it credit for.
July 16, 2017
Great Movie. Under appreciated
July 15, 2017
A good reboot, with a good reimagining of the character, but not much else.
July 15, 2017
Just loved everything about this movie. Zod is probably the most interesting villain in a comic book movie, deep complex and a genuine match for Superman. Not a camp man in make up or a CGI monster. The best of the DCEU (although Wonder Woman comes very close).
July 13, 2017
Loved it
Very entertaining all the way!
July 13, 2017
I liked it very much. Zach snyder made a very good storyline.Henry cavill is perfect for the role of superman
July 12, 2017
Lots of humor and great storytelling. Visually very strong.
July 11, 2017
Realistic version of superman, well thought out entertaining action peices and an inspiring story. Great acting from the whole cast, especially by the lead Henry Cavil. Hans Zimmer delivers an outstanding soundtrack that perfectly accompanies this film.
July 10, 2017
the movie seemed to have a lot of promise but there was very little character building and ended up being repetitive and boring. i found myself wanting the movie to be over.
½ July 10, 2017
Whilst much more entertaining than the previous effort Superman Returns, it's still a much less engaging and interesting movie than Superman the movie and Superman 2. Overloaded with super-destructive action towards the end of the movie it somehow has little impact and just kinda washes over you.
Not great but at least a step in the right direction.
July 10, 2017
Poor story-line, unable to recall any good lines/quotes, wrong choice for Lois Lane, and I could think of a more creative way for Superman to kill Zod. This ruined the Superman franchise
July 10, 2017
It was an origin story of my favourite superhero I've all been waiting for. Looks like it's superman's first ever mission.
½ July 7, 2017
Man of steel isn't that bad, it has good acting, some good action and visual effects, some decent characters, and it's fun. So act 1 and 2 are a little too long but the 3rd act was a little better, so the movie is ok. The villain is fine, there is way to much action and visual effects, it's too long and so slow. There are other problems, but it did everything it had to do, it's a fine movie.
July 4, 2017
Director Zack Snyder delves deep into the mythology of the Man of Steel and reminds audiences what makes Superman so great. At the end of the day he is just a guy trying to do the right thing. We get to see a young man grow up and come to terms with who he is and what he must do to protect the ones he loves. Through a series of flashbacks we can relate to young Clark Kent as he struggles to understand his place in the world. An outsider we all can see ourselves in. Snyder manages to humanize and ground Superman in a way that hasn't been done on the big screen and it's refreshing. He isn't a big blue boy scout. He's A god among men who doesn't get everything right and makes mistakes which have fatal consequences. He stumbles, which makes his successes all the more important. The epic feel of the film is elevated by a tremendous score by Hans Zimmer coupled with great performances from the main cast. Henry Cavill fits perfectly in the cape and boots and gives a brave new take on the character. This Superman may not smile much, but when he does we smile with him.
½ July 4, 2017
Man of Steel is a great superhero film that is huge in production. But it does lack character development for both the superhero and the villain. There is an excessive amount of flashbacks in this movie, and while some help bring depth to certain relationships in this film, some are unnecessary. However, I don't get why this film gets so much hate, I thought it was a well directed action film that I had fun watching. The movie excels in its pacing and tone. I do wish some main characters were less hollow and one dimensional. That was what the previous films were able to capture so well, but it isn't done so well in this. As a result, it remains as one of the better films in the DC extended universe.
July 4, 2017
When some of my friends were enjoying the movie "we go one a movie spree and see a lot of movies" I saw almost my whole family sleeping. My dad loves superman but it really disappointed me and him. I don't recommend this movie. Don't get me wrong the action is fanstatic and thrilling while the plot is unknown too any person in my theater.