Man of Steel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man of Steel Reviews

November 21, 2017
Never cared much for Superman, this movie changed my mind, wow, Superman (brooding Superman) is finally slightly cool and watchable. Still waiting for a direct sequel to this awesome movie.
½ November 21, 2017
Really wanted to like this movie, but I just didn't ... you shouldn't feel bummed when leaving a Superman movie. He's all about hope & inspiration. This was overly dark and depressing. The 1st half of the movie with the origin is great. The rest ... not so much.
November 21, 2017
This is the best movie in the DCU. It was disappointing to see another origin story about Superman considering everyone knows who he is. But this film did a great job showing the struggles that a young Kryptonian would face growing up on Earth and the restraint that Superman would have to show on a daily basis to keep from killing people all around him. This was a great movie and deserves a true sequel.
jamrcla
½ November 21, 2017
Easily the best Superman film to date, Zack Snyder Did a fantastic job although we can probably give Christopher Nolan credit too as I bet he had more than a hand in helping the story come together, It's starts on Planet Krypton and Russell Crowe (Kals Dad) preparing for the end of their world by getting Kal off Krypton with their world's kodex, I must say Krypton looked amazing and I would love to see a spinoff taking place there, It's action packed from the word go but it does tell a great and emotional story at times that really worked well, There's no corny scenes, Little humour, It's one of the darkest Comic films around, Henry Cavill is my new favourite Superman, Not only does he act the part well he actually looks how Superman should (Muscles to the max) Where the movie shines most is in its action as it has some of if not the best action scenes and effects ever put on screen, Say what you want about Snyder as a story teller but you can't argue the man knows how's to make your jaw drop when it comes to the action, If you don't believe just watch 300, Dawn of the Dead and even the action in Sucker punch was brilliant, The 3D wasn't really needed as it added little effect apart from a few scenes but it's not essential, Michael Shannon as Zod was brilliant and you could argue that he's not all bad as his intentions are good for his race but not so good for ours, The strong cast help scenes that were not really important move by at a good pace, It's the start of the DCEU but we didn't really get many Easter eggs apart from a Lex Corp logo and a Wayne Satalite but in a way I'm glad they didn't as this was all about Superman and nothing else, I don't really understand the hate for this film as most of the negative comments focus on one scene at the end that yes it was shocking but come on your entire thoughts on this movie is because of one thing that in my eyes was great and so unexpected and I love a good swerve, It's easily one of the best films of 2013 and one of the best Comic films around and should not be missed.
November 20, 2017
Absolutely amazing film! The best superman film ever made !
½ November 20, 2017
1st place in the DCEU. Explosive, entertaining and the best portrayal of Superman.
½ November 20, 2017
Great plot and was a decent start to the DCEU. But not perfect. As an origin, the actual origin story telling felt rushed.
½ November 20, 2017
Instead of opting for an always hopeful superman, Zack Snyder made this character more conflicted and unsure of his actions, which not everyone liked, but I did. it felt more realistic and emotional, testing how far superman was willing to go to save people. and how sometimes doing the right thing comes with consequences that make him question whether he should continue. The first 2/3 of this movie is excellent, with engaging storytelling and character development, even if it is a bit generic and cliche. The only thing thats done poorly is the romance between superman and lois. its poorly developed and the only reason its here is because these characters are supposed to have a romance, because that's what happened in the comics. however, for the final fight, I feel like Snyder just went balls deep on the fight scene and someone was too afraid to reign him in. it lasts for way too long and although thrilling, left me exhausted. The film has an absolutely amazing score that just swells with a senses of awe that feels appropriate for a superman movie. The performances are all solid. Henry Cavill starts out a little stiff and wooden but eventually relaxes and settles in as the movie progresses.
November 20, 2017
I dont understand why this gets so much criticism. Its grounded and realistic which i love, and only because WB wanted to stick to their Dark Knight formula.
Cavill is perfect.
It's a good heartfelt story.
The mass-destruction at the end is an issue, but does not make this a terrible film imo.
½ November 20, 2017
Man of Steel is one of those films I believe is better than most people think it is. It's not some masterpiece, but it's definitely a fun time and was the highlight of this DC Extended Universe until Wonder Woman hit four years later. First off, I'd like to praise the cast as a whole; there is no weak link here, and they all bring their A-game. I would of course be in remiss if I didn't specifically mention Henry Cavill's performance as Superman. I believe he has given us the definitive modern portrayal of the character in this new slate of movies, as he doesn't just try to imitate Christopher Reeve's performances from the 1970s and 80s (not a criticism of Reeve, but a compliment to Cavill). On a similar note, I also enjoyed how Man of Steel didn't merely try to recreate the Superman films that had come before. I know that some complain that there is a lack of a sense of humor and the film (and its follow-up, but that's a whole different review) can be bleak. I would argue that this takes more modern storytelling sensibilities, that serious does not automatically equal "depressingly bleak," and that not every superhero movie needs to have the comedic tones present in Marvel Studios' productions. Like I said earlier, however, this isn't a perfect movie. As the "Critics Consensus" reads, it does have moments where it enters generic blockbuster territory, especially the battle in Smallville in the middle of the film. Additionally, like many of Zack Snyder's movies, this is a long one. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but it could have a little shorter and more streamlined, as it does feel like it meanders every now and then. All-in-all, I think these criticisms are outweighed by the positives, and I can confidently say every film fan should give Man of Steel a shot (or maybe even a second chance).
November 20, 2017
The film depicts a different face from Superman
Henry is very good in Superman's role
Action is fantastic
Weilin movie (zad) is good
This is an incredibly engaging and entertaining movie from Zack Snyder
But it's not a masterpiece
Movie scores in rt and metacritic (55) are amazing
Above 60 ratings deserve this film
November 19, 2017
2/5. The action scenes in Man of Steel are incredibly over the top, but not in a fun way, in an exhausting way. The cinematography is annoying. The characters are mostly boring. There are a few solid moments throughout the film, and the score is fantastic, but overall, Man of Steel has nothing on the Marvel films or the Dark Knight trilogy.
November 19, 2017
even though missing out the fun and humour with America's iconic hero, Man of steel takes a modern approach to Man of steel, and proves to be an entertaining film to watch.
November 19, 2017
Fantastic movie, great start to the DCEU
November 19, 2017
This is THE movie of superman
½ November 19, 2017
Henry Cavill is amazing. Cinematography is amazing. Only with very minor problems.
November 18, 2017
A wonderful masterpiece from beginning to end. Loved it
November 18, 2017
love zack snyder's vision, great ??
½ November 18, 2017
My first review for all of the DCEU Movies before Justice League! Man of Steel is the first movie in this D.C Extended Universe, and you know everybody will compare it to Marvels Universe, which has been around for 6 years. Overall this film was good, it had some pacing issues, the plot is a little bit messy. It is just a fun time. The villain was okay in this movie, better than most of the Marvel villains. The villain was fine and functional. Man of steel was a very good time for me.
½ November 18, 2017
Superman isn't supposed to be an arrogant jerk. General Zod was an Underrated Villain & its filled with action. Superman (1978) + Independence Day + Avatar = Man Of Steel. An ok film.