Swept from the Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swept from the Sea Reviews

½ April 29, 2015
good period pic & chick flick
May 1, 2013
Breathtakingly beautiful film both visually and in the unfolding of the love story between two outcasts in a very insularly prejudiced Cornish rural village. An excellent cast adds to the story's dramatic impact. An emotionally moving experience.
February 21, 2013
I have watched this movie swept from the sea so many times I lost count, one of my all time favorites up there with cold mountain my most favorite movie of all!
October 22, 2012
This is my 2nd favorite film of all time.
½ September 1, 2012
My only complaints being the occasionally sluggish pacing and the variable sound ranging from too loud to too quiet, this is a beautiful, tragic and haunting film based on an even more beautiful, tragic and haunting story. The direction is very romantic but I never actually found it overblown or melodramatic, and the story does convey a range of emotions especially in the second half. In terms of effective scenes, the opening scene did set the atmosphere really well, and the rock pool love scene I actually didn't have any problem with, clichéd perhaps but random no not really. The scenery, sets, costumes and cinematography are meticulous, the score is stunning, the screenplay is honest and the acting from Rachel Weisz, Vincent Perez, Kathy Bates, Ian McKellen and Joss Ackland is spot on. Overall, Swept from the Sea:The Story of Amy Foster is a beautiful, tragic and haunting story, that is worth seeing.
May 19, 2012
Beautiful is so many ways, a stunning score with great visuals - yet somehow the heart of the movie seems lost. Shame, because this could've been such a mesmerising, emmersive and tragic love story.
January 27, 2012
I think I expected too much of it. I remember a friend recommending this to me, saying it had a 19th-century setting similar to that of The Piano. It doesn't come close to The Piano (but few films do) but it isn't bad - it's just not satisfying. It felt awkward in many places, in the acting and in the pacing of the script (too rushed). I felt the acting was a bit stiff from most of the main characters, except Ian McKellen (he was the best thing about the film). Yanko (Vincent Perez) was more irritating than handsome (get a haircut!) In short the film could have been much better, but it's worth a watch. And the son dancing at the end is cute.
January 9, 2012
A nontraditional love story. Simply told, but beautiful and gut wrenching. The performances by Weisz and Perez are pure gold. A must see.
½ December 28, 2011
It's an interesting retelling of Conrad's short story, Amy Foster. But it would be advisable to read the short story first to see the dialogue between them.
October 26, 2011
me gustan las historias...
August 21, 2011
What a sad depressing movie...
Arianeta
½ August 4, 2011
Swept from the Sea is a 1997 movie based on a 1903 story, Amy Foster by Joseph Conrad. It stars Vincent Perez, Rachel Weisz, Ian McKellen, Joss Ackland, Kathy Bates, Zoe Wanamaker and Tom Bell and was directed by Beeban Kidron.The story concerns a Russian, unable to speak English but able to play chess, shipwrecked on the coast of Cornwall on his way to America ..... Set in England, probably in the 1800s, this film deals not only with a beautiful love story. The people lived on a stark and barren spit of land attached to a strikingly beautiful yet often-ferocious sea. Storms were frequent and accompanied by howling winds, slashing rains and crashing waves which occasionally ended in catastrophic shipwrecks. People scratched around just to subsist. The harsh elements succeeded in stealing love from their souls, much as the sea stole lives from the broken ships. Those who did not fit in were scorned and made to suffer. Notwithstanding all this however, this story talks to the will of 2 simple people, who though raised in a harsh land by even harsher people manage to find love and peace, albeit for a short while, despite outrageous cruelties visited upon them. I found the articulation of the dialog impressive and the characterization of 19th century Cornwall, England enchanting. The way the flavor of the times came through is worth noting as well. Vincent Perez is marvelous in this role, as he portrays a most sympathetic character. The views throughout the film are breathtaking! I felt transported though time while watching.
February 21, 2011
One word....: Beautiful!!
½ June 27, 2010
Teria gostado se tivesse lido o livro, deve ter sido uma adaptação muito mais voltada para fãs da literatura
June 20, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.........its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that vincent perez, rachel weisz, ian mckellen, tom bell, kathy bates, joss ackland, zoe wanamaker, anthony haygarth, fiona vicotry play good roles/parts throughout this movie..........i think that zoe wanamaker, kathy bates, ian mckellen were great throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its a really well directed movie with a great cast throughout this movie
May 26, 2010
A pretty disappointing romance that I won't bother watching again. You know from the way the movie begins that Yanko was going to die so that ruined it straight away.
I also don't see why they didn't run away together to America or something since they seemed to be hated so much by the rest of the town. Why stay and put up with that the rest of their lives?
The story was too slow and drawn out.
The only thing good about it was the cast. There were some great actors so its a pity even they couldn't save it.
May 5, 2010
Bel film in costume.
Da un romanzone di Joseph Conrad: "Amy Foster"
½ May 4, 2010
Tratto da un racconto di Conrad, il film si rivela una struggente e tormentata storia d'amore che ha come tema conduttore quel mare che toglie e dona la vita, che porta i ricordi, che cambia i destini. Ottimo il cast, suggestivo l'impatto visivo, incantevole Rachel Weisz.
½ April 27, 2010
I really don't understand all the bad reviews this movie has received! I watched this for the first time online for free, and it was so deeply moving and profoundly real that I went out and bought my own copy the very next day. I loved the story, loved the honest and tragic nature of it, loved that the ending was bittersweet, and yet at the same time not perfect.

The acting was somewhat clumsy at times, but I had the feeling that it was purposely so. People in real life are clumsy and unsure of themselves and make mistakes and often don't react the way they do in movies. I think the slightly unpolished feel of some of the scenes made it *more* affecting and *more* compelling than it would have been otherwise. My only criticism is that it did move a bit slowly at times, but this I think is just the nature of the story being told. It's certainly not a movie for everyone, but for me it was a truly remarkable and well-told tale.