Synecdoche, New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Synecdoche, New York Reviews

November 12, 2017
Wow. This is a unique and powerful movie, blending reality and fantasy seamlessly in a truly fantastic story (if a little convoluted at times). Philip Seymour Hoffman is a beast of an actor, and his full potential is realized in this extremely powerful film. Beautiful.
October 11, 2017
Truly a film of staggering ambition, and even more staggering honesty. Kauffman stares the truth of life in the face, and delivers an unflinching representation. As close to a perfect film as has ever existed.
September 26, 2017
iki film kudu didiskusike ben terpuaskan nafsune setelah masuk reng pikirane seorang charlie kaufman sing terlalu kompleks untuk diinterpretasikan
½ September 19, 2017
I had to watch this movie for a class and i hated it. I hate artsy movies in general where you can't even tell reality and fiction apart. Can't Kaufman write a normal story with normal characters that are not dysfunctional losers?
September 5, 2017
It is not moving in the conventional way. The majority of Kaufman's films are not only original and unique in the confines of their environment, but they don't make the viewer feel a way they've felt before. I watched Synecdoche, New York feeling disturbed, depressed, and in deep pain. Now, I've seen moving movies in my lifetime, but they typically make me feel the same way even if at different levels of intensity. This time it's an entirely singular feeling, making you think differently than most movies do. It's not a film you watch or follow, but more so encounter. Feel the environment, soak in the presence, and just open your heart.
August 26, 2017
There´s just a fist of movies like this. Please watch this movie, its a brave and bold try to picture the soul of a human being, and i think it quite gets it.
½ August 2, 2017
I just couldn't muster up any interest while watching this.
A real chore to get through.
July 31, 2017
Charlie Kaufman is, indisputably, a very unique filmmaker, and I've enjoyed many his projects, such as Anomalisa, Adaptation & Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. But Synecdoche, New York left me completely cold, giving me none of the quirky insights or off-the-wall intrigue that the aforementioned films delivered. Philip Seymour Hoffman pretty much made a career out of playing sympathisable creeps, humanising them and finding something deep inside that we can relate to. But he can do little here with a character so miserable, so grim and so devoid of any semblance of life that his self-pitying mumblings are all he really has to offer. And I deliberately use the word mumblings, because he speaks with such little clarity as to be practically inaudible. I couldn't connect with him, or even feel sorry for him. His motivations were so self-indulgent, as is the film itself, and that's the entire problem. The movie is all about art imitating life, and if you're going to go down that road, and have a character vicariously lives out his ambitions, if that character is a dull, monotonous bore, then there's no way we're going to be interested in what his play is about, or what he wants it to express. It all takes place within a warped sense of reality, as you might expect from a Kaufman production, but there's no fundamental reason to care, and the most basic of questions are never answered. How did the play rehearse for 17 years without ever being staged? How did he have the money to pay for it? And why are women throwing themselves at this worthless wretch? I don't know, and I don't care to find out. It's a massive movie with massive ideas, but also massive delusions and massive pretentions. It doesn't dent my confidence in Kaufman's abilities, since he's made great movies since, but this is one I just couldn't connect with.
July 28, 2017
Synecdoche New York is probably the most depressing film I've ever seen. Writer and Director, Charlie Kaufman, gives us the strangest perspective of Life and Death. The story follows the life of a theater director. That's it. That's basically the whole film, but Charlie's writing manages to make this simple story complex and thought provoking. Kaufman also does a fantastic job establishing the environment and atmosphere. This is such an underrated masterpiece that needs to be seen by everyone that suffers from the anxiety of death.
July 2, 2017
One of the most deeply affecting films I have ever seen it's a depressing and beautiful film experience. Kaufman shows us his reality with a lot of truth and with an incredible performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's such a sad and beautifully written film it hits you right in the core and digs for something true where you can find a new thing on each magical viewing. A weird poetic journey through the horrors of life through the genius eyes of Charlie Kaufman.
May 29, 2017
One of the best I've ever seen. Can't believe how much attention to the details was put forward in this movie to talk about the idea of death and loneliness.
May 23, 2017
A mesmerizing, masterfully done character study. It dives into the psyche and makes an audience think.
½ May 7, 2017
beautifully strange and tragic film, I recommend it to anyone with an open mind.
April 21, 2017
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 19, 2017
69%?!!!
WTF critics!
½ March 21, 2017
Syecdoche, New York is hugely ambitious even if it misses the mark on one or two of it's ideas.
Grade: A-
March 7, 2017
A poignant descent into madness. Must see for Kaufman fans.
March 1, 2017
One of the worst films I've ever seen
½ January 15, 2017
All hail Charlie Kaufman. A near-perfect film.
½ December 16, 2016
I loved this. Might require a few views to make sense of it.Reminds me of the quote "life is what happens in between making plans".