Synecdoche, New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Synecdoche, New York Reviews

April 21, 2017
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 19, 2017
69%?!!!
WTF critics!
½ March 21, 2017
Syecdoche, New York is hugely ambitious even if it misses the mark on one or two of it's ideas.
Grade: A-
March 7, 2017
A poignant descent into madness. Must see for Kaufman fans.
March 1, 2017
One of the worst films I've ever seen
½ January 15, 2017
All hail Charlie Kaufman. A near-perfect film.
½ December 16, 2016
I loved this. Might require a few views to make sense of it.Reminds me of the quote "life is what happens in between making plans".
½ November 27, 2016
Listen. Charlie Kaufman - the screenwriter, director, narratologist, and philosopher, as we know him - is one of the most intelligent and creative minds in the business. There's almost no denying that. But, for me (meaning "in my own hopelessly subjective opinion") there is such a thing as having too many brilliant ideas in a single film. And, after watching "Synecdoche, New York," I realize that that's exactly what I got; a film with too many brilliant ideas for my tastes. Indeed, some of these ideas speak to me forcefully and with great fluidity, but many of the others simply make no sense to me at all. As far as "thinking man movies" go, this one may have me feeling the most conflicted. But, as of right now, my score still stands as it is. Either way, this one's a must-see.
November 24, 2016
There's certainly nothing like it. It's profound but also on the pretentious side.
November 12, 2016
It's one of those movies that's trying to tell you something, but you're not really sure what, because it's too artsy. Not Charlie Kaufman's best work, maybe his worst, but if you're a fan of his work, it's still pretty good.
½ November 7, 2016
A portrait of midlife crisis, "Synecdoche, New York" is unusually conventional for Charlie Kaufman, but is backed by a sense of cerebral surrealism only he could provide.
October 28, 2016
I've watched this movie three times now, and I have to the conclusion that this is possibly the best movie of all time. That sounds crazy to say, but I have never seen anything this detailed, dense, thematically brilliant, and emotional. Also trippy. Very very trippy. This is just a perfect movie. It makes you think, has great acting, directing, writing, everything. Maybe the best movie ever.
½ September 29, 2016
"But while alive, you wait in vain, wasting years, for a phone call or a letter or a look from someone or something to make it all right. And it never comes or it seems to but it doesn't really. And so you spend your time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along. Something to make you feel connected, something to make you feel whole, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is I feel so angry, and the truth is I feel so fucking sad, and the truth is I've felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long I've been pretending I'm OK, just to get along, just for, I don't know why, maybe because no one wants to hear about my misery, because they have their own. Well, fuck everybody. Amen. "
½ September 28, 2016
An experience. Not an easy watch but a worthy one. Extremely thought provoking.
August 30, 2016
A work of pure excellence, imaginative, funny, terrifyingly real and absolutely heartbreaking
½ August 11, 2016
one of my fave films. watched it like 5 times and each time find out something new about it. very niiiiiiiiiiceeeeee
½ August 2, 2016
Probably out of most peoples' league but probably worth checking out if you liked other kaufman written movies.
July 17, 2016
One of the best naps you'll ever have.
July 6, 2016
Koolhaas comes alive in the ultimate fictional fiction.
May 29, 2016
Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut is a perplexing and imaginative exposition on death, solipsism, doppelgängers, the Cotard syndrome, the Capgras delusion, anima et cetera. So crowded are the themes of psychology, it requires repeated sessions to have a reasonable psychoanalysis.