Synecdoche, New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Synecdoche, New York Reviews

½ September 29, 2016
"But while alive, you wait in vain, wasting years, for a phone call or a letter or a look from someone or something to make it all right. And it never comes or it seems to but it doesn't really. And so you spend your time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along. Something to make you feel connected, something to make you feel whole, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is I feel so angry, and the truth is I feel so fucking sad, and the truth is I've felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long I've been pretending I'm OK, just to get along, just for, I don't know why, maybe because no one wants to hear about my misery, because they have their own. Well, fuck everybody. Amen. "
½ September 28, 2016
An experience. Not an easy watch but a worthy one. Extremely thought provoking.
August 30, 2016
A work of pure excellence, imaginative, funny, terrifyingly real and absolutely heartbreaking
½ August 11, 2016
one of my fave films. watched it like 5 times and each time find out something new about it. very niiiiiiiiiiceeeeee
½ August 2, 2016
Probably out of most peoples' league but probably worth checking out if you liked other kaufman written movies.
July 17, 2016
One of the best naps you'll ever have.
July 6, 2016
Koolhaas comes alive in the ultimate fictional fiction.
May 29, 2016
Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut is a perplexing and imaginative exposition on death, solipsism, doppelgängers, the Cotard syndrome, the Capgras delusion, anima et cetera. So crowded are the themes of psychology, it requires repeated sessions to have a reasonable psychoanalysis.
½ May 13, 2016
Magical realism in its finest and purest form!
May 1, 2016
Masterpiece. Every second is drenched in meaning and originality. So good. So inspiring. So honest. Fuck it's good to hear a voice that I can relate to.
½ April 26, 2016
I honestly don't know most of Charlie Kaufman's intentions throughout this film, but I really don't care because it's an overwhelming feeling of what it means to create something that has purpose. The film is extremely imperfect but works so well in portraying the fact that art will always be imperfect no matter how long it takes and how detailed it can be. There is nothing like this film. It is very influenced by "8 1/2" perhaps, but really, you will never see anything like this film and Kaufman deserves eternal recognition just by the massive undertaking of approaching this film, let alone how affecting it is.
April 3, 2016
Bonkers little movie. Very Lynchesque. Amusing too although i really did start failing to follow
March 20, 2016
Grade: A+
Rating: 10/10
March 17, 2016
My favourite film of all time.
February 7, 2016
As a theater director confronted with regret, illness and fear of death he starts to develop a play based on his life set in a giant warehouse with a scale model of the city. Strange and beautiful. Absolutely non-literal. Very heavy. Loved it, but I doubt I'm gonna be revisiting it soon.
February 6, 2016
This is a baffling film, but an obviously brilliant one, even if its brilliance is couched in a complex and mystifying maze of motifs that only a dedicated and attentive viewer can unpack.
February 6, 2016
True artists surely dwell in the sort of creative and obsessed world that Kaufman has built in Synecdoche, New York.
February 2, 2016
"I will be dying and so will you, and so will everyone here. That's what I want to explore. We're all hurtling towards death, yet here we are for the moment, alive. Each of us knowing we're going to die, each of us secretly believing we won't".? - Quote by Caden

In memory of Philip Seymour Hoffman. Synecdoche, New York will always be my favorite.
January 29, 2016
No one has to like this movie, but to venomously dismiss it as a naval gazing art project (which a lot of people did) was a serious mistake. It's ambitious surrealism on an epic scale and yes, it actually has things to say about life, art, and the unavoidable decay of time. Also, Hoffman's outstanding performance is often overlooked in discussions about this movie, let's try to change that.
½ January 17, 2016
This is an awfully depressing movie. I guess that a movie that can make you feel any certain way should be considered a successful movie, but it's not exactly my cup of tea.