Taking Lives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taking Lives Reviews

½ November 27, 2016
Angelina Jolie is known for giving Academy Award-winning, and nominated, performances. 'Taking Lives' is not one of them. Without any ancient temples to explore or other action-packed situations to distract the audience, Jolie basically has to shoulder the film on her own, which is a tough task considering the weak plot and poor supporting cast.

At the center of 'Lives' is an investigation into a serial killer who takes on the identity of each new victim. On paper, this storyline sounds somewhat interesting, although overdone. While the setting of Montreal is a nice change of pace compared to overdone locations like New York and Chicago, it does little to solve the problems with the film. For one, it tries to be something it's not, including a series of cheap jump scare moments that make it feel more horror than suspense thriller. The dialogue is also pretty cringe-worthy, and it doesn't help that normally good actors, including Ethan Hawke and Kiefer Sutherland, portray characters who are written very poorly.

Perhaps the worst part of 'Lives' is the predictable yet still awful ending. Not that one would expect a solid ending given the quality of the rest of the film. But still, it's a letdown considering Jolie does everything she can to salvage things.

'Taking Lives' was never supposed to be a film that left a lasting impact, and it certainly will become long forgotten in the rest of Angelina Jolie's film library.
½ October 9, 2016
It was okay. Ending ruined it and I had to rewind a few times as my attention kept wavering.
Not an Angelina fan at all, but she's okay here, as is Ethan Hawke.
For a free Netflix watch, no real complaints, but glad I didn't spend money buying or renting it.
July 19, 2016
Very Predictable. Lacking reality. For a person too kill off a person then assume their identity (even paying off some taxes) without anyone noticing is laughable. They also do not bury a body unless identifying the person threw records. Sort of the crap movie you have seen many times and wish you have not wasted your time.
July 2, 2016
Super good. Jolie is soooo F'n bad
July 2, 2016
This stylized police procedural is full twists and rug-pulling, none of it believable and all of it predictable.
½ March 18, 2016
78%
Saw this on 18/3/16
Sure it has some senseless plot points that might strike you when its all done and over with, but D.J. Caruso has directed the movie effectively with style, pace and flair. The cinematography is also good. The story takes some unconventional story arcs that did surprise me although the identity of the killer is predictable. Jolie is great and Ethan Hawke is also good as Costa.
February 28, 2016
shocking to see such a poor film with credible actors involved. disapointing
February 21, 2016
Angelina Jolie took a strong female lead in the search to find a long-time serial killer. Despite a few slow moments, this movie held my interest the entire time. It kept me on the edge of my seat with a few screaming moments here and there. The ending was my favorite part and was highly unexpected.

I might add that it's been a while since I have seen this, hence my lack of wordiness. Sorry :(
½ January 27, 2016
"DIABOLICAL | FAR-FETCHED | THRILLING" (80-out-of-100)
January 24, 2016
1/23/2016: Just ok. It wasn't all that intriguing. Jolie was the only highlight of the film.
December 26, 2015
How i hate this movie... is beyond words.
September 17, 2015
For a psychological thriller, this movie is extremely predictable, and not very thrilling! D+
September 2, 2015
How on earth was this movie boring? It has a large budget with talented actors and some pretty decent twists so boring is quite an accomplishment. This is proof that bad editing and gross misuse of ominous music can ruin anything.
August 17, 2015
Taking Lives (2004) for it's time was a very well made film, even looking at this film lately I still enjoyed it. Angelina Jolie has always been an amazing actress and to have Ethan Hawke just made it even better. Now in comparative to other films within this time and of course on the same genre and similar story Taking Lives still stood up to the rest. For the most part the story was fairly good, a few wholes in the dialog, and of course a few of the cast there could've been better but all and all the film was a fair one.

I've always liked these type of stories in a movie, and of course the thriller based suspense murder films have always got my attention, this is one that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was.
½ August 13, 2015
Angelina Jolie bringing the heat here as a FBI agent tracking down a clever serial killer. Its a by-the-numbers offering, the director DJ Caruso leading the audience shamelessly so that when the twist arrives its kinda tired as he's been hinting at it for over an hour. In the meantime, its Jolie that keeps your attention, those lips and all obscuring all thought otherwise. Ethan Hawke is okay, but only that.
August 10, 2015
Dont really remember much about this so i rewatched it last night. Not horrid and a forward moving story, just not a whole ton of take away, and still- not really the best fan of Hunt. Jolie can hold a movie as aways though.
August 2, 2015
Harsh but good. Interesting story line with the twists. Filmed in Quebec.
July 21, 2015
I like Angelina Jolie. Something about her (possibly her fiery eyes, her sensuous lips always slightly curved into a subtle smirk) diffuses with self-assured sexiness that makes her a leading lady who doesn't have to do much to convince us that she's a smart, sanguine toughie always sitting above everyone else. Even in meandering material like "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider", we're enraptured by her magnificence, which luminously finds itself at new heights with the blazing personality that becomes her.
A film like "Taking Lives" is the kind that Jolie does best: a thriller without much of a brain but seems to be better just because Jolie is there. In every heroine role she's ever had, she's appeared strong and courageous, gutsier than the men around her and more adroit than the doubters who pine against her. In hindsight, "Taking Lives" is the type of film most likely to be played during a "Lifetime" serial killer movie marathon special event - but like the majority of suspense movies that repeat on "Lifetime", there's a sort of compulsively watchable energy about "Taking Lives", not hugely ambitious but not dumb enough to make us feel bad about enjoying ourselves. It's throwaway, but at least we're having fun, right?
In "Taking Lives", Jolie portrays Illeana Scott, an FBI agent brought into Montreal to help apprehend Martin Asher, a murderer who gets his kicks by stealing the identities of his victims after he grotesquely kills them. Scott is a profiler of the highest common denominator, with an unconventional skill set; her new co-workers have a hard time taking her seriously, an understatement considering she greets them for the first time lying with a smile in an open grave, later on showing that she best understands the people she's investigating by squatting in weird positions in the areas they committed their crime. But she's not faux spunky like an embittered Temperance Brennan. We are immediately taken with her.
The killer's streak is hindered when James Costa (Ethan Hawke) is brought in for questioning. Costa, a local art dealer, happened to be at the right place at the right time and witnessed Asher partaking in one of his heinous crimes. Lucky for the detectives, he as a good eye and great artistic ability: he is able to draw a near perfect, detailed sketch of the murderer. Problems arise, though, when Scott, slipping out of her reserved knowingness, develops feelings for the witness.
"Taking Lives" moves along as a good, maybe even great, serial killer movie until it abruptly reaches a twist ending either predictable or implausible - I'm not sure which adjective is a better descriptor. While you might be guessing who the murderer is way ahead of time, however, you won't have much of an idea how they're going to catch him, and since the climax of the movie is outrageously over-the-top (and one could say satisfying), the preposterousness not only is forgiven - it's also accepted as part of the insane plot, which threatens to fly off the rails but remains engaging against all odds. And anyway, you can't put down "Taking Lives" for being ludicrous while turning around and calling "Dressed to Kill" ludicrous but saying it's OK because it's stylish. No. No.
The film has since become a forgotten fossil of the 2000s, but don't pass it off as an average blockbuster that never was. Jolie is as entrancing as ever, Hawke a plausible normal-guy-caught-in-a-bad-situation, Rowlands a shifty-eyed marvel as Asher's paranoid mother. "Taking Lives" is perhaps more fattening than I would like to admit, but I don't mind dumbfounding thriller fun, as long as I'm kept on my toes and the atmosphere's decent. Here, you've got everything. What more could you want?
½ June 15, 2015
A genuinely interesting premise, but doomed from the start. *Spoiler Alert* I knew from the first moment we saw Ethan Hawke that he was obviously the bad guy. The fact that they cast Kiefer Sutherland did momentarily make me question it, but only very briefly. The final twist was a bit more satisfying because it wasn't obvious, so in the end I didn't feel like a completely wasted 2 hours of my life by watching it.
½ April 12, 2015
The worst film of its genre. Amateurish and a weak storyline.