Taking Lives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taking Lives Reviews

½ August 2, 2017
Suspense thriller, but you're able to determine the culprit before he is revealed.
June 6, 2017
trys to be clever but just a predictable thriller
April 15, 2017
I recognized Paul Dano at first sight.
½ November 27, 2016
Angelina Jolie is known for giving Academy Award-winning, and nominated, performances. 'Taking Lives' is not one of them. Without any ancient temples to explore or other action-packed situations to distract the audience, Jolie basically has to shoulder the film on her own, which is a tough task considering the weak plot and poor supporting cast.

At the center of 'Lives' is an investigation into a serial killer who takes on the identity of each new victim. On paper, this storyline sounds somewhat interesting, although overdone. While the setting of Montreal is a nice change of pace compared to overdone locations like New York and Chicago, it does little to solve the problems with the film. For one, it tries to be something it's not, including a series of cheap jump scare moments that make it feel more horror than suspense thriller. The dialogue is also pretty cringe-worthy, and it doesn't help that normally good actors, including Ethan Hawke and Kiefer Sutherland, portray characters who are written very poorly.

Perhaps the worst part of 'Lives' is the predictable yet still awful ending. Not that one would expect a solid ending given the quality of the rest of the film. But still, it's a letdown considering Jolie does everything she can to salvage things.

'Taking Lives' was never supposed to be a film that left a lasting impact, and it certainly will become long forgotten in the rest of Angelina Jolie's film library.
½ October 9, 2016
It was okay. Ending ruined it and I had to rewind a few times as my attention kept wavering.
Not an Angelina fan at all, but she's okay here, as is Ethan Hawke.
For a free Netflix watch, no real complaints, but glad I didn't spend money buying or renting it.
July 19, 2016
Very Predictable. Lacking reality. For a person too kill off a person then assume their identity (even paying off some taxes) without anyone noticing is laughable. They also do not bury a body unless identifying the person threw records. Sort of the crap movie you have seen many times and wish you have not wasted your time.
July 2, 2016
Super good. Jolie is soooo F'n bad
July 2, 2016
This stylized police procedural is full twists and rug-pulling, none of it believable and all of it predictable.
½ March 18, 2016
78%
Saw this on 18/3/16
Sure it has some senseless plot points that might strike you when its all done and over with, but D.J. Caruso has directed the movie effectively with style, pace and flair. The cinematography is also good. The story takes some unconventional story arcs that did surprise me although the identity of the killer is predictable. Jolie is great and Ethan Hawke is also good as Costa.
February 28, 2016
shocking to see such a poor film with credible actors involved. disapointing
February 21, 2016
Angelina Jolie took a strong female lead in the search to find a long-time serial killer. Despite a few slow moments, this movie held my interest the entire time. It kept me on the edge of my seat with a few screaming moments here and there. The ending was my favorite part and was highly unexpected.

I might add that it's been a while since I have seen this, hence my lack of wordiness. Sorry :(
½ January 27, 2016
"DIABOLICAL | FAR-FETCHED | THRILLING" (80-out-of-100)
January 24, 2016
1/23/2016: Just ok. It wasn't all that intriguing. Jolie was the only highlight of the film.
December 26, 2015
How i hate this movie... is beyond words.
September 17, 2015
For a psychological thriller, this movie is extremely predictable, and not very thrilling! D+
September 2, 2015
How on earth was this movie boring? It has a large budget with talented actors and some pretty decent twists so boring is quite an accomplishment. This is proof that bad editing and gross misuse of ominous music can ruin anything.
August 17, 2015
Taking Lives (2004) for it's time was a very well made film, even looking at this film lately I still enjoyed it. Angelina Jolie has always been an amazing actress and to have Ethan Hawke just made it even better. Now in comparative to other films within this time and of course on the same genre and similar story Taking Lives still stood up to the rest. For the most part the story was fairly good, a few wholes in the dialog, and of course a few of the cast there could've been better but all and all the film was a fair one.

I've always liked these type of stories in a movie, and of course the thriller based suspense murder films have always got my attention, this is one that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was.
½ August 13, 2015
Angelina Jolie bringing the heat here as a FBI agent tracking down a clever serial killer. Its a by-the-numbers offering, the director DJ Caruso leading the audience shamelessly so that when the twist arrives its kinda tired as he's been hinting at it for over an hour. In the meantime, its Jolie that keeps your attention, those lips and all obscuring all thought otherwise. Ethan Hawke is okay, but only that.
August 10, 2015
Dont really remember much about this so i rewatched it last night. Not horrid and a forward moving story, just not a whole ton of take away, and still- not really the best fan of Hunt. Jolie can hold a movie as aways though.
August 2, 2015
Harsh but good. Interesting story line with the twists. Filmed in Quebec.