Taking Lives Reviews

• Dec 26, 2019

Probably saw this movie for the first time when I was 14 or 15 and the beginning always stuck with me — Paul Dano was creepy. How Dano becomes Ethan Hawke was… interesting. Almost immediately after those first few scenes this one goes downhill. Jolie's character comes off as weird for weirdness's sake — lying in the grave, eating with horrific pictures of murder victims taped to the chair in front of her — as if being odd should be equated with brilliance. Unfaithful heartthrob, Olivier Martinez, is an unbearable dick who insults Jolie in French whom — surprise, surprise — also speaks French; didn't see that one coming. I especially enjoyed his line "You learn your theories from books?" Yes Detective, they're a common tool for education. The "chase" scene stunk; one detective backpedaled instead of pursuing the killer? The big reveal was more confusing than shocking. The end? Ehh, still haven't fully mulled it over and probably won't give it much more thought. Probably pushed this one into the (40s) instead of (30s). It's a shame because when I read the synopsis, it's a wonderful story (and likely a solid book) but it just didn't deliver on screen.

• Dec 18, 2019

Good concept but weak execution

Good concept but weak execution

• Oct 20, 2019

Great suspense drama.

Great suspense drama.

• Oct 13, 2019

This movie tries to do the whole crime psychological thriller but not nearly as good as other movies. Generally don't like Angelina Jolie but I actually enjoyed her in this movie. That's the only praise I have for it. The main plot of the movie doesn't make sense to me as the investigators somehow tie a crime decades old to the suspect and watch a guy that supposed to be the next target when the whole point is it's a serial killer that wants to be someone else. Like if the suspect wants to be that guy and knows he's with the cops why bother? Well that explained in a dumb twist. Forgettable movie.

• Sep 21, 2019

There are a few thrills, but not nearly enough.

There are a few thrills, but not nearly enough.

• Aug 23, 2019

I enjoyed it, screw the critics.

I enjoyed it, screw the critics.

• Aug 19, 2019

I hoped for a better thriller, but this wasn't made well. It almost seemed like a low-budget film at first. (First and only viewing - 8/5/2019)

• Jul 03, 2019

I stopped watching 20 minutes into it. I'm from Quebec and half french. I could not get past the fact that the accents were european french, not French Canadian. It's like somebody shooting a movie in Vermont and having the locals speak with a British accent. The whole production is is ignorent of French Canadian culture. Also it takes place in Montreal but the city scenes are of Quebec city.

• Nov 01, 2018

This movie is an insult to intelligence.

This movie is an insult to intelligence.

• Feb 23, 2018

Jolie does the best with what she’s given, but Taking Lives just doesn’t do much. It’s surprisingly predictable for a movie that wants to surprise, which makes it rather boring and messy.