Tank Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tank Girl Reviews

July 28, 2017
Unashamedly 90's and unapologetic for its camp, over the top comic book feel. Tank Girl is a cult classic for a good reason. Petty' performance as the titular character plays out like Bugs Bunny on ecstasy. There's so much to love here's. Wether that be the silly 90's aesthetic, it's fantastically poignant feminist themes or MacDowel eating every bit of scenery and the kitchen sink. Tank girl is a blast! Watch it now, and tank me later.
½ April 29, 2017
Not as bad as it was lauded 20 years ago, not as good as the cult following heaps it's praise. The movie half baked, literally. A lot the movie feels incomplete, like it ran out of money and filled the gaps with comic panels. Lori Petty is great in her role, as is Naomi Watts and they have great chemistry together. For the first 1/3 of film, things are looking good, then it takes a turn where it thinks it's being avant garde, but it ends up being weird and awkward. But I can respect the attempts even when it's not working. It's not great or even that good, but it has its appeal and themes that resonate today.
January 2, 2017
Based on a comic book written by Liam Howlett of the Prodigy, this is entertaining enough. Has a very young Naomi Watts in it and some other bizarre cameos. This is pretty much a Mad Max for girls.
September 14, 2016
Could've been original, especially give its time frame. Instead it feels forced and contrived, as if it were made by a bunch of 50 year old white corporate execs. Then there are things that make no sense at all - why do bullets ricochet off sand and wood? Ice T plays a dog like creature - which is humorous as he comes off as a gang thug dressed up in a dog suit. Could've been a hot movie, instead, it's just a hot mess.
August 22, 2016
With the ridiculously oddball comic book series providing quite a guilty pleasure of entertainment, Tank Girl sounded like a fun cinematic experience.

I watched Tank Girl once before and found that it was too much of a loopy and scattered film with manic energy but no consistency in its narrative. I thought that if I read the comic book it was based upon that I might have greater appreciation for it. In actual fact, Tank Girl was worse the second time around.
First of all, Tank Girl's story starts at the complete wrong time. While the first comic in the series began at a point in time where the titular Tank Girl was already an established vigilante wreaking havoc in the steampunk Australian outback of the future, the film takes a step back and becomes an origin story. Rather than accepting that Tank Girl herself is a legendary wild child who is driven by her self-indulgent desire for hedonistic pleasure and exhilarating action. The film adaptation decides to focus too much on giving her justifiable motivations so that the audience can sympathise with her more, relaying a boring background to her which consumes much of the narrative without giving it sufficient humour or action to satisfy. The way the film actually treats Tank Girl is much like Danny Cannon's adaptation of Judge Dredd (1995) which coincidentally came out the same year. Tank Girl is frequently referred to as Rebecca Buck, a name she is rarely ever referred to as in the comic series. Having read the comics I couldn't even remember her name because she was just Tank Girl to me, yet the film insists on humanizing her and pretending like it doesn't. But the other thing that frustrated me was how little time she actually spent in her distinctive tank which is a second way the film betrays its title.
Tank Girl's boyfriend Booga is also a mistreated character. He and the entire Kangaroo squad in the film are depicted as a bunch of kangaroo-human hybrids rather than just mutated kangaroos. The story suggests that they were a military experiment in an attempt to create super-soldiers, and this is once again a testament to the overly serious nature of the film. Most of their screen time is spent just joking their way through situations intended to be legitimate, and it reflects the misguided tone of the entire experience.
Frankly, the Tank Girl comic series is not too unlike that of Deadpool. With the film adaptation of Deadpool (2016) having just recently been released, it served as a perfect example on how to make a legitimate comic book action film and a parody of one at the same time. But like Danny Cannon's Judge Dredd, Tank Girl just fails to find the correct balance to make it work. Tank Girl's original comic series was about its characters in a violent pursuit of all the beer they can gather since the post-apocalyptic setting of the story has essentially turned society into a large gang of violent punks. The story in the Tank Girl film changes this to water so that the characters are motivated not by their passion for partying, but by a need to survive. This detracts from the fun experience of the material and gives it a far more serious feeling which does not match the overall atmosphere of the film or the comic that inspired it. The experience is meant to be fun, not serious. Apparently that's not how Tedi Sarafian sees it. But given Rachel Talalay sees the experience as a more comically oriented one, the script and direction proves to conflict with each other. As a result I didn't take the film seriously but didn't find it funny either, so none of its intentions met eye to eye with me as a viewer. The original comic book was ridiculously over the top in a sense that it was the natural flow of the universe, but the film presents a mood which is too self-aware of this for it to feel like a legitimate narrative tone. I just didn't enjoy Tank Girl as a standalone film or as an adaptation of its comic series, so I really do not see it as anything worth recommending.
Nevertheless, I will give the film points for its slick production values. Made in much the same style as Richard Stanley's Hardware (1990), Tank Girl is a post-apocalyptic film set in the desert and cut together like a music video. Iggy Pop is even a featured cameo in both films which further reinforces this. The scenery for the film perfectly depicts a post-apocalyptic wasteland where the party scene is still active for the dwellers. There is a lot of hypnotic colour in the film which gives it the feeling of a drug trip at the right moments, and even if the cinematography fails to grasp the potential spectacle that lies within the film it still succeeds at making a fair impression. The costume department is also a strong part of the film as they set the characters up to reinforce the punk nature of the universe, but the department who designed Booga and his kangaroo pals certainly prove to be the low point. They make little more of an impression than those who worked on The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) which is already frustrating enough considering how mischaracterized he is. Tank Girl's slick production values and soundtrack should give it a modicum of entertainment to the least demanding viewers.
When it comes to casting, Tank Girl acquires a mixed response. I put Lori Petty at the heart of this all because I don't know that I can support her performance, but I know it just didn't feel right. Lori Petty has the correct energy for the role and looks the part well enough, but when it comes to nailing the edge of the character I just didn't feel it. This is largely because Lori Petty's voice is way too high pitched to fit the profile of the role. Tank Girl is a character with a distinctive attitude to her; a proudly relentless nature which ensures her refusal to back down in the face of anybody. To capture this, an actor with a certain commanding tone of voice would be needed. Lori Petty doesn't have that, and as a result she plays the entire role out like one big joke which makes the film more like an extended sketch comedy than an actual narrative piece. Her gimmicks wear off quickly and eventually I just found that I wanted her to shut up Tank Girl makes it hard enough for anyone to find a role in any of the characters, but Lori Petty is very much miscast into minimizing any potential to be anything more.
Naomi Watts similarly lacks the ability to make any kind of an impact since she plays Air Girl as being too vulnerable to survive in the universe of the film. The only relief in the cast lies in the fact that Malcolm McDowell is never problematic in the role of a villain and Ice-T's performance as T-Saint is completely wack in a manner so strange that it's delightful.

Tank Girl has some moments of stylish flair, but its ridiculously thin story and repetitive cheap gags are as abundant as the disregard for the source material which makes it an awkward affair all the more disappointing for fans of the original comic.
½ June 19, 2016
Desert wasteland has no water in this boring visual mess of a sci-fi pic.
May 15, 2016
when your sick all weekend and druged up on cold medicine this is pretty entertaining !! I remember when it came out in 95 I was in high school never saw it kinda wish I did see it in 35mm it would of been fun it's mad max meets 90s alternative music with girls and human kangaroos :-0 not the greatest movie in the world just a cult to watch !
January 3, 2016
Really loved this movie. It's kinda trashy in a way and totally stuck in the 90s but it's totally endearing in this way. A few scenes are completely animated and while this has since been revealed to be due to filming mistakes, the transiition totally works and makes the film even more endearing. A good chunk of the film features talking Kangaroos, if that doesn't appeal to you, then this is probably not a film worth seeking out, but for everyone else it is a really good time.
December 13, 2015
In 2022, a comet strikes Earth causing an 11-year drought. By 2033, most of the little remaining water is held in reserve by Kesslee (Malcolm McDowell) and his Water & Power (W&P) corporation, which uses the water to control the population. Rebecca Buck - "Tank Girl" (Lori Petty) - is a member of a commune in the Australian outback that operates the last water well not controlled by the corporation. In an attack on the commune, W&P troops kill Tank Girl's boyfriend, Richard (Brian Wimmer), and capture Tank Girl and her young friend Sam (Stacy Linn Ramsower). Rather than killing her, Kesslee tortures and enslaves the defiant Tank Girl. Jet Girl (Naomi Watts), a talented but introverted jet mechanic who has given up trying to escape W&P, urges Tank Girl to make less trouble for their captors, though Tank Girl refuses. They finally break out and steal a tank and a jet. Eventually they bump into the mysterious Rippers, half animal/half humans that does what ever they can to destroy Water and Power. Together with Tank Girl and Jet Girl they will try to end the reign of Water and Power...

Based on Alan Martin and Jamie Hewlett cult comic "Tank Girl" we get a a comic-book-style action-adventure that goes over the top, but still manages to keep it together to be an enjoyable and fun ride in my point of view. The film has a perfect balance with a tough heroine loaded with sharp comments no matter what difficult situation she might be in, evil villains, humanlike mutants, cool vehicles, big sets, humor and solid stunts. The props are well-designed and imaginative and creates a feeling of "authenticity" to the scenes, and the visual and special effects are very much ok for being 1995. I havenīt properly red the comic "Tank Girl", but as far as I know it contains a lot of sex, nudity, violence, strong women and a base with a lot of dark humour. Some topics have obviously been toned down in the movie version, but the general look and vibe is portrayed in a great way. Malcolm McDowell is good as Kesslee, Naomi Watts great as Jet Girl and Lori Petty manages to really give life to Tank Girl. Sheīs loud, aggressive, a one-liner machine and she never seems to give up no matter what. Financially unsuccessful, "Tank Girl" recouped only about $6 million of its $25 million budget at the box office and received mixed to negative reviews from critics. Martin and Hewlett have since spoken negatively of their experiences creating the film. Talalay blamed some of the film's negative reception on studio edits over which she had no control. Despite the negative critical reception and box office failure of the film, it has been cited as an example of a comic book film with a cult following, and it is noted for its feminist themes. Alan Martin and Jamie Hewlett, the creators of the Tank Girl comic have since spoken poorly of their experiences in creating the film, calling it "a bit of a sore point" for them. Hewlett said, "The script was lousy; me and Alan kept rewriting it and putting Grange Hill jokes and Benny Hill jokes in, and they obviously weren't getting it. They forgot to film about ten major scenes so we had to animate them ... it was a horrible experience." The reviews as said were more or less negative. Owen Gleiberman gave the film a C- rating, praising Petty's performance which he said was the only good part of an otherwise "amateurish" film. Janet Maslin wrote: "Chief among its strong points is Lori Petty, a buzz-cut fashion plate in a Prozac necklace, who brings the necessary gusto to Tank Girl's flippancy." Leonard Klady from Variety gave a mixed review, saying: "What's missing from the mix is an engaging story to bind together its intriguing bits. And Lori Petty as 'Tank Girl' ... has the spunk but, sadly, not the heart of the post-apocalyptic heroine." I donīt agree to all these negative comments, I think that "Tank Girl" has that solid mix of everything to make the comic come alive on the silver screen. I found myself having a big smile on my face during the whole film so to me this was an enjoyable experience.
December 9, 2015
Not good but it is not entirely bad in my opinion. Yeah the musical numbers are bad, the acting is either over the top or non existent, and the references are not clever. The over acting can be hilarious at times, the way they incorporated animation and scenes from the comic book was neat in my opinion. I blame the producers because they cut the funny parts out, and the source material was watered down.
December 5, 2015
FAVORITE MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!
October 15, 2015
A cult classic for some, a vulgar one hit wonder to others & for everyone else - a weird lesbian styled film lost somewhere between a dated semi action & trashy comedy movie. For me it's all of the above & I love it. I get a kick out of this film every time I watch it. I'll admit it's pretty B-rate & more than a bit tacky but the laughs never get old. One of those lost forgotten movies that is seriously underrated. Has a killer soundtrack.
½ August 29, 2015
Good, whimsical, funny and tongue-in-cheek unlike other movies about a post-apocalyptic world. Usually movies of this type are dark and serious or they are bad, silly and low-budget. In this story an asteroid hits the earth and turns everything into desert. Water becomes very valuable resource and it's controlled by an evil mega-corporation led by a madman played by Malcolm McDowall. Lori Petty and a very young and dark haired Naomi Watts plays the 2 characters who oppose him.
August 11, 2015
Very cult classic. not true to the comic. hollywood really fooshed this one up, but lori petty makes one hellava tank girl.
August 7, 2015
Ok, so it's a bit silly but how can you not love it. Seriously mermorable one liners, lots of laughs, fantastic music, Peti'samazing hair that just lasts and lasts and really strong women that put most feminists to shame without losing their sexuality.
½ July 31, 2015
Actually 2.25. It's not a keeper.
½ June 20, 2015
pretty cheesy yet humorous and quite entertaining. very unique, too!
May 30, 2015
Not smart cinema--just pure fun. A jaunt in post-apocalyptia isn't adequate without fresh makeup, a change of clothes, and a new 'do every scene!
May 22, 2015
I didn't care for this movie at all upon its release back in the 90s, but watching it again recently was fun.This movie has aged a bit better since it's kind of nostalgic now. Yeah, it has that terrible 90s look and feel to it, where most early to mid 90s sci-fi/action movies look cheap, but there's something about the movie that is a lot of fun. The performances are a lot of fun, and this was one of those few times where Malcolm McDowell hamming it up was appropriate. Lori Petty really breathes life into the character and is the main reason this movie is worth checking out.

I couldn't recommend this to everyone, and the movie really is silly, but I think it has kind of grown as a cult movie worth checking out for certain fans of these kinds of movies.
May 20, 2015
Bizarre but fun. This strange movie was entertaining and I can honestly say it was not predictable but it was a wild ride.