Tea With the Dames (Nothing Like a Dame) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tea With the Dames (Nothing Like a Dame) Reviews

March 4, 2019
What a delightful Sunday watch it was for me. I recommend it wholeheartedly.
½ February 28, 2019
Watching these four grand Dames of England sit down and talk about their self-doubts, nerves before performances, aging, marriages, reviewers, and their interactions with fellow actors and directors was wonderful. Adding to this, some amazing archival footage of some of their performances on stage and screen was certainly a bonus.

However, to be honest, the film got off to a disjointed start and there were some awkward moments as well. But things went much smoother as it progressed and there was also some laugh out loud humor. Like Judi Dench's hilarious description of how she called the paramedics when she was bitten by a bee in the backside and the very young EMT tech asked if she had a carer (in the USA a home aide) how she became furious and told him to "f-off".

Overall, director Roger Michell's questions to the four actresses from the wings as the film rolled did not work well, But just to see and hear these grand Dames together was worth the price of admission to me.
February 15, 2019
It was high tea every time I watched in these dames. They were incredibly witty, humble, humorous, interesting ,unique, and without ego. They were like just us. If we 're that witty, humble, etc... of course. I'd take tea anytime with these great Dames.
½ January 24, 2019
Maggie Smith is a delight, but this documentary which gathers four screen legends in Joan Plowright's home may not be for all American audiences. If you're, like me, only a fan of two of the four the 84 minutes can frustrate. It's a novel concept and has its moments, but not enough of them for me. Final Score: 5.3/10
December 26, 2018
It was pure delight watching and listening to these legends reminisce about their film and stage careers. The best unscripted thing. They were all exquisite. It can also a bit emotional as they talk about how ageing has affected all of them.
½ December 3, 2018
unorthodox but it satisfies the nosiness of people who want to gossip about their encounters in the world.
½ November 18, 2018
Unless you are a huge fan of these ladies, I don't recommend watching this documentary.
November 8, 2018
I didn't like this movie because of the direction not because the dames. The ladies themselves are terrific, but much too much was made of their aging and much too little was made of their experiences as actresses during their lifetimes. What was it like being a young actress? Who helped them who hindered them? It would have been good to know more about their relationships with each other and how they've helped or hindered each other through the decades that they've been actresses. I would have liked to have a lot fewer long shots emphasizing that they have in fact gotten old.
October 26, 2018
This was cute, but should have been made ten years ago. They've been friends for decades, but time has taken its toll on their memories, especially Joan Plowright. There were probably better stories to tell, and more clever ways to tell them, but time has erased much of that possibility.
½ October 16, 2018
What could be more fun than spending 80 minutes with 4 female senior citizens who have been friends for years? How about 800 minutes or a lifetime?!?

Dame Eileen Atkins, Dame Judi Dench, Dame Joan Plowright and Dame Maggie Smith have no problem making fun of the Dame title but they are at the same time proud of it and having it presented to them by either Queen Elizabeth or Prince Phillip.

The 4 ladies have no problem 'dishing' themselves, each other, their husbands, their co-stars, sometimes their work but they are very respectful of the theatre, more so than the movies or television they have done.

The 4 women get together every year at Plowright's Sussex home, where she lived with Laurence Olivier, to hear what each has been up to and some of the past. We see snippets of film from past experiences only making us hungry for more just as we want more of their reminiscing of the various mediums they played in and talk about why some succeeded and others didn't.

Plowright, now blind, and Atkins may not be as well known as Dench and Smith but all are given equal time to talk about their looks, or lack of them, when they started, though nothing is referred regarding the #METOO so prevalent today while the casting couch was part of the norm when they entered the theatre world, let alone the world of film.

Instead of drinking water or tea and a toast of champagne at the end, it would have been a lot more fun if it had been reversed though all 4 Dames don't hold back in expressing their feelings nor letting their laughs come through whether laughing at themselves or each other.

Hopefully there is another hour or two that was filmed of "Tea With the Dames" and will be released on the DVD version but don't miss this just in case!
½ October 7, 2018
Very enjoyable. Could have watched it forever. Yet, even though I was drinking tea while watching it, they *didn't*. Maggie Smith has so many zingers, wish I had written them down.
September 30, 2018
Lovely to see these four dames reminiscing.
September 29, 2018
What of the best movies of all time!
September 14, 2018
Witty, worldly, uncommonly gifted women who've been there, done that, and lived their lives to the top -- my kind of escapist movie.
July 8, 2018
As much about the solitude of age as it is an overview of the careers of four good friends who happen to be leading actresses, Roger Michell's charming and refreshingly simple documentary suffers only from an understandable tendency towards over-indulgence. Shaving ten minutes would have revealed a perfect gem. Wonderful stories, real earthy laughs.
June 30, 2018
Priceless! Just sat and smiled through this.... Love their naturalness and obvious friendship with each other.
June 23, 2018
Fantastic. Loved every minute listening to these wonderful ladies
½ June 9, 2018
You could sit and listen to these four greats tell stories for hours. Simple, basic and all the more entertaining for it.
½ May 30, 2018
It's a simple idea executed wonderfully: you put four national treasures - real life Dames and the crème de la crème of the acting profession, in front of the camera and let them talk freely about their lives, loves and work, with the occasional prompt from director, Roger Michell and out pops a most magical and entertaining 84 mins that literally flew by. Granted, it may feel a little slight and scattershot at times and there is no big revelations here, but the chemistry is undeniable, as are the genuine camaraderie between them and the passion for their work and you can't help but feel privileged to be invited in to witness and eavesdrop on their delightful conversations. Not wishing to sound greedy, but one of the main reasons I settled on 3 1/2 stars and not higher is because I find the film too short! So, what more does one want from a documentary film with Dame Eileen Atkins, Dame Judi Dench, Dame Joan Plowright and Dame Maggie Smith simply talking and having a grand ol' time with each other? Easy. A sequel, of course.