Tears of the Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tears of the Sun Reviews

½ April 13, 2018
it has its moments, but the bruce willis ego fest has little to offer in its cliche script.
DrStrangeblog
½ April 5, 2018
"LT, the rules of engagement...."
"We're already engaged."

Public opinion of military personnel has undergone a dramatic transformation since the 1970s in the days of the Vietnam war, when returning veterans were booed and spat upon. Today it seems you can't attend any public event without some sort of salute to military branches. I don't subscribe to such blanket adulation, lumping cretins such as those at Abu Ghraib in with true selfless servicemen. Even though Tears of the Sun as a work of fiction, it tells a story not far from real-life operations. What defines a hero? I believe a hero is someone who does the right thing even when - ESPECIALLY when - the odds are against them. Bruce Willis is the to-the-point man in charge of a squad of Navy Rangers who goes against orders to evacuate 28 Nigerians under threat from deadly bands of rebel guerillas. The Rangers are given just enough personality that we feel something whenever one of them goes down. I was misled by the bright yellow promotional poster into thinking this took place in the African desert, when in fact the entire journey takes place through tangled green jungle. What I appreciated most about Tears of the Sun is that it portrays bravery without obvious patriotic flag waving or hokey John Wayne inspirational speeches. This team is determined to execute it's task without expectation of fanfare or reward. Just like a hero would do.
March 16, 2018
Reading reviews after watching this years later, I can say with confidence, I don't know what these folks were smoking. In retrospect, this is a great film, hitting all the right notes? Racist? Not a chance. Stock Hollywood action? Nope. Reviewers, you need to work a lot harder-your job is too easy to begin with.
½ February 10, 2018
Modern day African news brought to life on the screen graphically depicting the too often reality of conflict on that continent. Setting aside the impossible circumstances our hero?s escape, the story is worthy. Sometimes you have to break the rules to make a difference.
½ January 17, 2018
I really liked this movie... but hated the ending.. sorta bummed me out.
December 28, 2017
outstanding movie, had me invested all the way through. I actually teared up at the end of the movie.
June 30, 2017
Just another example of critics being morons. Great movie, great story, and great characters.
June 29, 2017
I'm seeing this for the 1st time. 25 min to go, but I know I love it. It is powerful and realistic. Americans (many) in a foreign land cry America if something goes down. And around the world, cowboy means something. Just like McDonald's and Hollywood. I loved the movie. Thanks!
May 17, 2017
The characters are pretty dry. However, all the soldiers are alive until the last battle so they had all the time in the world to develop them. The story is a pretty standard escort mission. The action is pretty good. Overall it's an average war movie.
May 3, 2017
very good film, maid me move!
½ April 28, 2017
A powerfully impressive and poignant film about humanity in the face of the violence and inhumanity of civil war, excellently acted by a good cast and beautifully directed by Antoine Fuqua. I must disagree with the critics again, and the audience reviews are with me on this. We know what moves us!
March 24, 2017
A rather less exciting drama that takes a long time to take off.
The movies main plot line kicks in after 45-50 mins that is way to late for a drama such as this.
Additionally I have toe say that there is never any real tension or excitement to a rather weak and obvious story with very few twists.
The only thing that warrants the score of 6/10 is the acting by Bruce Willis and Monica Bellucci who both deliver solid performances and the cinematography with some great aerial shots of forests and exotic nature.
An experienced director such as Antoine Fuqua should've made more of this story. He knows how to draw attention to his actors and focus on the important plot points. Unfortunately that is not is not enough in this movie with this rather weak plot.
In conclusion we can say that "Tears of the Sun" is a rather weak drama that mostly lives from the good acting and it's even better camera work.
½ March 9, 2017
Antoine Fuqua has skill and knows how to build up tension, but this movie was so dull and so uninteresting.
February 9, 2017
well thought-out movie heartfelt and riveting I Give It 2 Thumbs Up
February 4, 2017
One of those military movies that more accurately reflects an all-star wrestling match rather than anything real. Well at least the first half anyways, I didn't make it to the end.
January 7, 2017
Full of feelings, patriotism dark shades on a cliché flight into a background from African war
½ November 2, 2016
"Tears of the Sun" is one of the most innocuous and nondescript movies I've ever seen. Willis, who may has well have been asleep, leads a barrage of hapless and grey war scenes, intercut with super-long montages of sadness and mourning, in which basically nothing of consequence or interest ever happens. When something DOES happen, it's so predictable it feels like the movie is spoiling itself as it unfolds. It's not fun, it's not engaging, it's not enriching, it's not surprising...so what is its purpose?
October 26, 2016
Alongside Hotel Rwanda, reminded me of the atrocities constantly seen in graphic detail on the African continent. This is not about the courage of the soldiers for turning back after turning their back on these people, though as fictional characters they did act heroically, it's about the struggle and suffering of the African people throughout history, most often at the hands of other Africans. The answer provided is that a small group of people can make a big difference in a number of people's lives, no matter who, if they are determined to do so.
½ October 20, 2016
A gripping story which proves that Bruce Willis doesn't just do comedy/comedy action films. It also displays the brutality of Nigerian politics. The movie is very gripping and is one of Bruce Willis's most underrated films in my view.
September 30, 2016
kind of drags along but not too bad. Lots of drama about following orders or doing the right thing.