Thanks For Sharing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thanks For Sharing Reviews

May 26, 2016
I liked the storyline of this movie, but sometimes I felt like the characters didn't take the subject as seriously as they should have which made it quite confusing to watch. Because I felt that there was a lot I didn't quite understand.
I felt that some things went a little too fast anthere was never really anything hooking me to the screen.
March 5, 2016
Tad long winded but serious film (not so much comedy) about three characters' struggle with sex addiction
February 19, 2016
An eye-opening movie...
January 10, 2016
It was interesting to see all these neurotic yet seemingly "normal" people battle their demons which in this case revolve around sex addiction. It's not pretty. Great cast.
½ December 29, 2015
Quite a beautiful story, I loved every characters chemistry together I loved the rawness and flaws of them all as well it was a very inspirational real look at addiction in general
December 21, 2015
The subject matter, people in recovery, is serious. The tone bounces back and forth between humorous and dramatic. The actors are great and they make the material real. Mark Ruffalo is fantastic, as always.
December 13, 2015
The chemistry between Ruffalo and Paltrow is good, but they're flirting is awkward and they seem to be faking it sometimes. There are good supporting performances, and it has an interesting idea, but it doesn't get nearly as dark or deep as it could with its premise.
½ November 19, 2015
not what I was expecting but movie wasn't too bad
½ October 6, 2015
There are many reasons that a given movie can be called entertaining: It's dramatic, it's funny, it's cute, it's educational, it's original, it has great acting, it has an interesting story, etc., etc. "Thanks for Sharing" (R, 1:52) has all of the above. It's a movie that explores the very real, but little-understood problem of sex addiction. This is not a movie (or a problem) about people who can't stop "doing it". What this is all about is people who act out their sexuality in ways that are inappropriate and/or compulsive.

The story follows three sex addicts who are in various stages of dealing with their problem. Mark Ruffalo is Adam, a man who is five years "sober" (as addicts call it, even if their addiction has nothing to do with alcohol), but has gone so far as not even allowing himself to have any intimate or even romantic relationships with anyone... that is, until he meets Gwyneth Paltrow's Phoebe. Tim Robbins plays Mike, Adam's sponsor and the leader of their recovery group. Josh Gad is both funny and heartbreaking as Neil, a single doctor who is just beginning to grapple with his addiction.

Adam and Phoebe are adorable together, but we wonder if their relationship is doomed from the start. Phoebe tells Adam that she used to date an alcoholic and promised herself she would never be with an addict again... but doesn't realize that sexual addiction is "a thing". Adam has had such a problem with sexual addiction (and closed himself off from women for so long), that he may not have the capacity for a healthy romantic relationship. Mike has been a great help to Adam, but he has problems of his own. Mike has very high standards and shows disdain for everyone who doesn't live up to them - including his adult son who has recently come back into his life and claims to have kicked his previous drug habit. Neil is in a race against time to get his addiction under control before he loses everything. He finds an unlikely friend and mutually-supportive relationship in Dede, played marvelously by Alecia Moore, better known as the rock star Pink.

"Thanks for Sharing" sheds light on a problem also dealt with in 2011's "Shame", but is less voyeuristic and more accessible to a mass audience. This film is educational without being preachy, funny without being disrespectful to the subject matter and entertaining without letting you forget what's at stake for each of these characters. Their problems feel real, the humor feels natural and the acting is just terrific. I thank writer-director Stuart Blumberg for sharing this very compelling film with us and give "Thanks for Sharing" an "A".
½ August 18, 2015
Thanks but no thanks, another shit movie in my bag! So you will experience this painful urge to slap each character one by one and tell them to get a life! Ok done.
August 3, 2015
This movie is crazy! If you think you might have a sex addiction, watch this. It'll change your mind. They do a good job of making the comparison to drug addiction and sex addiction. But it isn't the same thing. The movie makes the comparison a lot. It was weird, the little thing about the movie just said obsessive friends in a support group. I was fooled again!
It had some funny parts, but not many.
July 30, 2015
A well acted movie which deals with a sensitive and growing problem! I usually find the critic reviews and ratings to be very accurate. However, I found this movie to be clearly underrated.
July 16, 2015
Great cast, lacklustre story.
July 15, 2015
This was about what I expected, maybe a bit better. The actors and their characters were all interesting and well cast. The story was mostly about the bond of these people in their recovery group and some of the struggles addicts go through. As mentioned by other reviewers, it's just a lot to cover with so many main characters so it's kind of speeding through all the stories. But I connected with them and felt sad and happy for them. Definitely worth watching.
May 19, 2015
Nothing special...:(
½ May 19, 2015
Whatever the addiction the point is we need support this film puts it in perspective
May 14, 2015
She deserves better.
April 18, 2015
A fun comedy that takes a look at a serious subject matter. The ensemble cast is great!
½ April 9, 2015
It has some pretty good performances and it's charming. But's it's no nymphomaniac. Lars Von Trier dealt with it with no fear and made it bold.
This seems to shy away from showing sex addictions true nature.
½ March 30, 2015
I found it cute enough I suppose. I am not an admirer of GP, but I do like MR. His hair in this movie was ridiculous. Lol. It was an okay film. I guess for what I expected it to be. I do not believe in a sex addiction, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.