Fung wan II (The Storm Riders 2) (Storm Warriors) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fung wan II (The Storm Riders 2) (Storm Warriors) Reviews

January 22, 2016
The first one is much better
September 7, 2015
While the Storm Warriors has a lot of pretty CG magic power fight sequences... it truly lacks in terms of story... and the fight sequences are a little meh.
The Pang bros truly try to make the most out of this film by using all manner of different styles of shooting and presentation. There's "300" level green screen work, standard martial arts moments, slow motion, etc.
As pretty as the film can look at times nothing can save a film that's filled with a fight sequence between two characters for roughly half the film.
Not really a recommended flick but not a bad watch if just looking for something to turn off your brain to and eat some popcorn while pretty pictures fly across the screen.
September 3, 2013
am sorry, do not agree with user ratings shown thought it was visually interesting and better than the first (still like the first but tried to squeeze too many characters without having time for them).
March 18, 2013
The first one was awesome... This one well, it wasn't that great. Good thing they stopped here.
December 25, 2012
This film is confusing. It truly is. Some have been describing it as Asia's answer to 300... and that isn't too far off. Lots of stylistic action sequences with Frank Miller-esque like pseudo 3D action and ultra saturated colours are scattered frequently throughout the film. However, that's just about it for the similarities.

In fact, even more puzzling is that... I can't seem to figure out whether this film is too rooted in its own camp or if it's simply too serious for its own good. I'm thinking the latter. There's hardly a laugh in here. Of particular point, Charlene Choi acts like this for the entirety of her first half of the movie. She looks up, mutters "Big brother Wind" and then looks down. This is repeated over and over again... captivating stuff.

There's also some quirkiness in terms of shots and post production decisions. Here, too much of a good thing probably describes this best. Establishing shots with backs to the camera, slow motion shots, extreme close ups... these are all used too mu... wait. THESE ARE ALL ABUSED. They just use it until there's really no point in it half way through the movie, because by then you start to realize that in this movie, slow motion is normal time.

And oddly enough, the music score/soundtrack is an overload. There's music in almost every scene such that it gives me the impression that the directors KNEW that their scenes were boring as hell and just tried to amplify the epicness by using the cheapest way they could; music. Like what I mentioned about the shots, it doesn't work here either, as you just get numb to it after a while.

However, despite a lackluster and rather straightforward plot, this is not a horrible movie. The actors are looking great, Aaron Kwok seems like he's just had another drink from the fountain of youth and the final battle is one of the longest and most epic fight scenes I've ever seen. Though like everything else in the film, there's a bad catch to it. They fucked up the ending.
December 21, 2012
the first one was fresh.. no Ekin C???
½ November 24, 2012
Is there no zero-star option?
Quite possibily the most incoherent and badly acted film I've ever seen.

Actually this isn't even a film. So we're all good now.
November 3, 2012
Awesome visual effects. The Pang brothers make the movie shine with marvelous direction, lighting and filters. Choi is stunning, Yam plays a good villain and it's always nice to see Suet Lam. Epic slow-mo, bit of a strange ending.
August 24, 2012
I enjoy a good old fashioned Chinese sword and sorcery movie, but this is certainly not one of them. Laden with CGI and live animation Ralph Bakshi style, this movie comes off as plodding, pretentious, trite, banal, everything bad Hong Kong cinema is good at.
July 29, 2012
300 has a lot to answer for. The proliferation of its style of slow-mo, hyper-stylised fighting visuals is starting to get tiresome and it certainly doesn't help the already befuddled plotline of this movie. The actors don't really have much to do except glower, brood and scream in various poses, and not much else really makes sense. I suppose you would need to read the comics but I doubt that would have helped. The wigs sure look fabulous though.
June 20, 2012
i want to see this one i loved the first one
and i look forward to seeing this one
May 21, 2012
bad remark for wonderful visualisation and story of Storm Riders ... a dissapointment ..
½ March 22, 2012
alot of flash and overuse of that smoke thingie (think the last 2 harry potters and x-men:first class) which great to look at but thats about it
March 5, 2012
This film single-handedly managed to be the best Street Fighter and Dragonball film ever made.
March 3, 2012
Epic posing, over-the-top battle, and silly plot.
½ December 19, 2011
I really wanted to see this "sequel" because I was quite impressed with the first movie (1998) and seeing how HK studios can make a CG movie that can nearly rival that of Hollywood's at that time. However, I have to say that I am disappointed with this version after 11 years of hiatus. Not that the CG VFX is disappointing, mind you. They are not. However, the story and direction are exceptionally sub-par. To me, I think they have tried to cut the movie too much to make it under 120 min and missed a great big chunk of story to bring some completeness of plots. I appreciate the style of slow-mo/quick cuts just like everyone else, but they are using this stylistic technique way too much and it just seemed very tired. The style of transitions using comic-book look is also tired and they should try something else. At point, it seems that they are lifting parts of the "300" and putting it into this movie!

If they are making another episode, which it looks like from how they, oh-so-quickly and hurriedly, wrap this one up, I hope it will be much better in screen-writing, plots execution, directions and perhaps even cinematography.
½ October 25, 2011
Didn't like the first one, but this follow-up is far worst. It's like a mega-budget (in terms of HK movies) CG trash.
October 16, 2011
It was not as interesting as the first installment. But then again it hardly ever is.
August 22, 2011
An excellent movie that combines martial arts and fantasy perfectly as Wind and Cloud join forces to defeat the evil Lord Godless!! A movie experience that cannot be missed!!