The Adventures of Tintin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Tintin Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
El clásico de las caricaturas, Tintin es llevado a la pantalla grande en 3D. Bajo la dirección del genial Steven Spielberg, nos trae la historia del intrépido e inteligente joven reportero y su perrito Milú, que junto a su buen amigo el Capitán vivirán una gran aventura que encierra una leyenda de la familia del capitán
½ November 5, 2016
A great animation story with an all star cast teamed up with All time favorites Director Steven Spielberg and Producer Peter Jackson!
October 29, 2016
Surprisingly, this Spielberg adaptation conveys the spirit of the comic books quite well.
½ October 22, 2016
Ignore the snipers: this is a fantastic, relentlessly exciting and often very funny adventure. Spielberg's camera is never still as the story - an origins tale revolving around Captain Haddock's ancestor and his nemesis, the pirate Red Rackham - catapults the young reporter from the boulevards of Paris to the souks of Morocco, via desert storms and careening freight ships. Gloriously designed, wittily voiced and scripted, this is a great family movie.
October 8, 2016
I am in love with this movie! It's truly a one of a kind Tintin adventure. I've read the comics and watched the cartoons so naturally I had to see this movie and I was not disappointed! The animation is beautiful, the music and special effects keep the viewer captivated and lastly the story is an idea taken from an episode of the show, but changed into something that becomes so original. The writers and directors brought the classic characters we all love to life in perfect balance, it's almost as if they flew out of the comics straight to the big screen. If you're a Tintin fan than this movie is a must have :)
½ September 23, 2016
A 3D motion capture film directed by Steven Spielberg. An all star cast of Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and the King of Motion Capture, Andy Serkis. I ended up really enjoying this. I always worry if these kind of movies are strictly for kids, Tintin is fun for all ages. I can see people don't like it cuz if the massive moving, and fast paced shots. Not everyone can handle films like this, was a pleasant surprise though
½ September 9, 2016
One of the most entertaining movie EVER. I have high hopes for the movie and it exceed my expectations, definitely check it out, you would regret if you don't
August 11, 2016
Certainly is one of Spielberg's most fascinating films to date.
½ August 5, 2016
The Adventures of Tin Tin is beautifully animated, and with its well-written story, the movie brings adventure to new heights.
July 31, 2016
The Adventures of Tintin traz um uso da animação duma maneira esplendida, alem de trazer uma aventura divertida e bem dirigida.
July 24, 2016
Although minor Spielberg, The Adventures of Tintin is stuffed with entertainment from start to finish.
July 18, 2016
Though a mild fan of the Tintin stories as a child, the main thing captivating me into seeing The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn was the presence of Steven Spielberg as director.

The animation detail in The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is truly remarkable. From the first shot of the film I was completely enticed by the extensive detail on the characters and the universe around it. At first it appeared that everything was live-action, but as the simulated camera pans up to the character's face we see that Steven Spielberg has made an effort to embrace the cartoon roots of the story. It's often proved difficult for animated films to be this detailed in their realism without crossing into the uncanny valley, but Steven Spielberg manages to spearhead that with tremendous detail. As the film goes on we see the animation used for a variety of sequences, be they simple moments of conversation between the characters or action sequences depicting Tintin flying through a storm. The detail remains consistently impressive at all times, and the large variety of colours keeps the cartoonish spirit alive. During the more action-oriented scenes the animation becomes less realistic due to the impossibility of some of the activities being depicted and the fact that it relies on traditional animation rather than the motion-capture used to depict the characters, but the cartoonish charm in all this remains adamant the entire time. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn has some truly impressive animated work to it which certainly makes it worth seeing, and the way that it displays this throughout a mix of extended shots, moments of simulated shakycam and other techniques is a reminder of the director's never-ending visual expertise.
The musical score to the film is also a product of expert composition. Steven Spielberg once again gets a remarkable musical score out of John Williams who reminds us all that he is the greatest composer in the world of cinema. His music grasps the large scale of the story while mixing a feeling of intensity with adventure to keep the action sequences fun. And as far as the 3D element of the film goes, The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn uses the gimmick far better than countless other contemporary films. Few films manage to stand out as solid 3D films, but The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn uses the gimmick extremely sparingly and not for just arbitrary purposes. It isn't always obvious when the film is 3D because the feature functions just fine as a 2D film, but nevertheless it is still a better example.
However, the story in The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn acquires a more mixed response. The classic adventure style of the film serves as a throwback to Steven Spielberg's earlier work on his action adventure classic Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) which is sure to provide nostalgic joy to viewers. There are elements of an old-fashioned serial adventure and with swashbuckling sword fights to the film which keep it exciting, so The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn cleverly uses an old story with a modern style to bridge different generations of storytelling together. This includes the use of comedic elements to keep the experience as a fun one, whether it be visual humour or occasional quips in the screenplay. This way, the film should appeal to a wide audience. Having read up on Tintin as a child I found enjoyment in the cartoonish style mixed with the serious nature of the character's adventures. This feeling is realized by the film adaptation, and it makes for an experience rich with fidelity.
Still, the mood of The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is not all that consistent. While at first the film appears to be a fast-paced adventure with the investigation of a mystery as the source of its consistent intensity, at takes a significant drop after its first hour. While the story is enticing, whenever the characters are caught up in periods of discussion it really slows the experience down since they don't have all that much interesting to say. The mystery is one of formula where the characters discover more through questing to new locations rather than intense intellectual studies, and as a result there is not much in the way of character development. As a result, the talkative moments do not offer that much lasting value. The script makes half an attempt to give background to the nature of Captain Haddock and his familiar history, but the other half is using him as comic relief and so the two do not necessarily intertwine. And with an arbitrary subplot about two bumbling detectives failing to catch a pickpocket, it just becomes clear that the story is not remarkably tenacious. The pacing in The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is not as remarkable as the animation, and it drags down the adventurous nature of the experience.
But even without remarkable characterization, the efforts of the cast cannot be ignored.
Jamie Bell brings his natural charm to the role of Tintin, and it proves to be an ideal fit. The man has a boyish charm about him which matches Tintin's hunger for adventure, and he delivers every line with a real sense of curiosity and spirit. It's great to see him working in motion capture, particularly alongside Andy Serkis who has consistently proven as the greatest actor of the motion-capture world. The man also brings a gritty Scottish accent to the role this time and it is incredibly convincing. It's he who really steals the screen because he puts genuine emotion into the role of Captain Haddock while adding humour to it with ease. Andy Serkis and Jamie Bell make a fine duo in The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn.
Daniel Craig's sophistication makes him a cleverly manipulative villain, and the presence of comedic duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is always genial.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is inconsistent with its tone and pacing, but its stunning animation and old-fashioned adventure makes for another strong entry into the Steven Spielberg filmography.
½ July 17, 2016
Can anyone tell me how old Tintin is supposed to be in this movie? He wavered between being a boy, a teen, and a young man in his early 20s. I only give my most basic gripe because my real problems with this movie would take a boringly-long amount of time to get through... just like this movie.
July 16, 2016
The guys who made this are awesome!
- Director, Steven Spielberg. He made Jurassic park and it sequal, E.T, Jaws, the list goes on
- Producer, Peter Jackson. He directed all 6
J.R.R Tolkien middle earth films
- Writer, Edgar Wright. I've Herd he makes great comedy and I think he is directing ant man 2
- Writer, Steven Moffat. He make lots of Doctor Who episode
July 14, 2016
Based on the comic series
July 9, 2016
It's brisk, colorful, and technically impressive (the combination of the motion-capture performances and 3-D animation is pretty incredible and seamlessly done.) I see "The Adventures of Tintin" as Spielberg catching up with what Robert Zemeckis has done with "The Polar Express", "Beowulf" and "A Christmas Carol". I can see why many people drew comparisons with "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but frankly, this is no way near as exciting or fun as that film. I found some of the characters annoying and insufferable, and the story felt really baggy. It's still perfectly watchable and the set-pieces are a lot of fun, but considering that this is a Spielberg film, it comes out as a slight disappointment. It's fun but utterly forgettable.
July 6, 2016
Fun action and adventure with great characters and beautiful animation, but still not Speilberg's best.
June 22, 2016
It is cool when the captain finally found his treasure
June 22, 2016
It was an awesome movie. At first I was a little worried but my brother told me that the writers of doctor who wrote this I watched it ASAP.