The Banker Reviews

• Nov 17, 2020

FROM ARLENE AND MARSHALL A must see, over and over again. A movie that becomes more salient every time I watch it. Excellent script. Incredible acting. Apple made  a wise choice in attempting to make it their opening foray into film production. Looking forward to Georgia Nolfi's next project.

• Nov 16, 2020

I absolutely loved it, and as much as the real story in the background is not absolutely mind-blowing, the directing, acting, photography and soundtrack are just perfect.

• Nov 13, 2020

É sempre importante defendermos o pilar da liberdade e da igualdade. É sobre isso que este filme, que mostra algumas das vozes que lutam pelos direitos dos negros, trata! Uma lição de luta, inteligência, empreendedorismo e fidelidade aos seus ideais.

• Oct 29, 2020

I mean... It was okay. A bit sluggish at times. Although it highlights and addresses the journey of oppression, it resonated on a more superficial level. Perhaps this is due to the pace of the movie.

• Oct 21, 2020

Very well done. I liked the story as well as the acting.

Very well done. I liked the story as well as the acting.

• Oct 05, 2020

An inspiring true story, well acted and written.

An inspiring true story, well acted and written.

• Sep 29, 2020

Even the great charisma of Samuel L Jackson can't distract from the dullness of business & banking subject, while a collage of a montages about guy learning arithmetics cements this

• Sep 26, 2020

A historical drama about the first black bankers in the United States. The premise may not be very exciting, but Samuel L Jackson in character can make even the laws of 1954 real estate fun.

• Sep 25, 2020

You can't stop progress. So this is about two black men (Anthony Mackie, Samuel L. Jackson) in the United States in the 1960s. They simply want to work towards the American dream but as we are already well aware, the color of your skin can make it so that you're playing against a stacked deck. They collaborate with a white man (Nicholas Hoult) to be the face of their property and banking enterprises while they pose as a chauffeur and a janitor. Now, this was the last movie that had my interest on Apple TV+, so I figured that I might as well just get them all knocked out in relatively close proximity to each other. The trailers looked decent enough, but I didn't interpret the fact that this got a March release as a good sign, as it is the type of material that normally gets saved for Oscar season. 2020 has been a weird year, so who can say that you can count this out of the running just yet. The biggest strength of The Banker is how timely it is. With all of the calls for justice and racial equality rightfully getting a large platform, the retelling of this biopic story will hit its audience in just the right spot. It's very accessible with some even-keeled pacing, and what further helps the flow is something that you may not be expecting; before you're done with the first half, this movie turns into a heist movie. They're not pulling a crime, but all of that plotting and executing a plan is there, and much like an Ocean's movie, it is a whole lot of fun to watch it all come together. Anthony Mackie is perfectly serviceable in this, and he is essentially playing the straight man. I thought that Samuel L. Jackson truly got to shine and he was a big bright spot; he is having a whole lot of fun, and that is my favorite type of Samuel L. Jackson. I also dug Nicholas Hoult as their white ally; both Mackie and Jackson are talking in a lot of technical terms when it comes to finances, so they do have to dumb it down for both him and the audience. It also helps to keep this accessible, and seeing people of different races actively work for equality here does come off as more inspiring than placating. I like The Banker, but I don't love it. This is a very standard movie; that's not always a bad thing, but it does make it so it rarely surprises you. The music swells at the appropriate moments, the racists intimidate when they're supposed to, and you always know the direction that it is headed. All of the details that you would want to see from a period piece are here, and they didn't skimp in that department. I do think that it runs a bit long, maybe by about 15 minutes, but I was still in it from start to finish. There is still enough here for me to give this a low recommendation.

• Sep 10, 2020

Great Movie! Painful, gut-wrenching, edge of your seat performances and storytelling. Even though I expected but still wished for certain outcomes not to happen, I was very surprised by them!