The Bay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bay Reviews

April 22, 2017
I honestly can't believe seventy seven percent of critics liked this. The bay has some surprisingly terrible performances in it, the reporter showed no emotion, and said her lines in the same tone of voice every time. The teenage girl using FaceTime with her friend, showing her everything she saw was also thoroughly ridiculous and the actor herself was just a bad child actor. The news reporters were also just bad.

The bay also features extremely cliche jump scares. Infected characters jumping out with a random loud boom accompanying them, because loud noises are scary I guess? Director Barry Levinson never makes an effort to create any sort of atmosphere or tension. Apparently he thought jump scares would be more effective, unsurprisingly they're not.

However I did give the film two stars because I thought the premise itself was a cool idea, and a few shots of the creatures moving through the fish, people, and crawling out of people's necks looked appropriately gruesome and unsettling. I also appreciated when the reporter stopped filming after having a close call with an infected, that's something you never really see in the found footage genre. It was actually logical.

Levinson just didn't seem to fully understand what makes the found footage genre work. Blair Witch worked so well because of how real the performances felt, how genuinely frightened the actors looked. Blair Witch also created a dark, oppressive atmosphere, the bay doesn't even try to do that which is a shame.

Skip The Bay and watch a found footage movie that was actually successful. Don't waste your time with this one.
February 26, 2017
got about 20 minutes left. what am i watching?! boo! they seem to blame everything on the poor chickens. lol
½ January 18, 2017
Very cool. Liked it, it definitely sounds like its something that could happen.
½ January 3, 2017
The Bay: This is director Barry Levinson's astoundingly lame faux documentary horror film about a government cover-up of a parasitic outbreak in a small town on the Maryland coast of the Chesapeake Bay. The promising premise, about the perils of chemical dumping, is ruined by an embarrassingly sloppy, amateurish story that is more expected from a high school film project, not the guy who won the Oscar for Rain Man. D-
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 28, 2016
SO FLUFFING GOOOOOOOOOOOD
December 22, 2016
Boring, but has good scary moments. Almost believable.
½ October 17, 2016
A small , unsuspecting Bay side town is suddenly exposed to a rapidly spreading epidemic that begins to eat the residents alive. As the authorities struggle to comprehend what is actually transpiring, the population quickly dwindles.

Director Barry Levinson, the man behind gems like Sleepers and Wag the Dog, brings a pseudo documentary supported by an army of camcorders to do his bidding. WIth the success of pioneers such as The Blair Witch Project and Open Water, Hollywood has seen an onslaught of camcorder features, most of which fail to raise an eyebrow. Although not terrible, The Bay isn't exactly great. It's a commendable effort with a jolt or two in place but the performances are average and there really isn't anything to set this apart from any other low-budget feature. It's a shame considering Levinson has been behind some brilliant features but in this case The Bay is mediocre at best.

You aren't missing anything by giving this one a miss.
August 4, 2016
It's gory,and plays perfectly on the phobia of nasty parasites.
½ August 4, 2016
I've seen a lot of horror flicks but this one I found was ridiculous. Sorry but it's a no from me.
½ July 26, 2016
I loved this movie; it's so underrated. The solid acting made it feel genuine and I was captivated throughout.
½ May 31, 2016
I always feel there is a limitation to how much enjoyment one can have from a film captured in the third person view mode, but give it its dues, it's watchable. Set as more like a documentary this looks back on footage of how a town became overrun by a plague like virus that infected its inhabitants via the local water supply. Once exposed, a form of bacteria or small bug enters the human body, feeds off the flesh from the inside, until it grows big enough to burst its way out. It's quite a gruesome concept that with the right backing, could have taken the audience by storm in the same vain as Alien did. Alas, this relied on a small budget, Unknown actors and lack of special effects to leave more to the imagination than our viewing pleasure. Focusing on one main news reporter who talks us through the unfolding events, but with several side stories to prevent us from getting bored, we watch how the population dwindles from the local police and doctors to the local residents and tourists. At under 90 minutes long, this is over before we get chance to become tired of the limited story but it does just about enough to keep one glued for the short time span. It does actually have the occasional scare, to keep one on their toes, but it just never catches fire and literally is like watching an extended news report. If you don't have the tools at your disposal then this is about all that could be done so fair doos in that respect, but as for a recommendation, I'm afraid I wouldn't want to force this upon anyone I respected.
½ May 21, 2016
A cutting edge found footage movie that really gets across the fear of pandemics with some nice, grisly body horror moments. There are a few beats that are part zombie movie and part Jaws.

Really well done, even if the narrative does kind of drift by the end
March 15, 2016
Political horror often rubs me the wrong way. They can feel patronising, pretentious and even a bit silly from time to time. 'The Bay' is no exception to these pitfalls, at times succumbing to dangerous levels of preachiness. That being said, auteur Levinson cranked the dread up to eleven - playing with the found footage genre in new and inventive ways. 'The Bay' can be a real mixed bag; creepy yet calculated, gruesome yet gratuitous. When it works, 'The Bay' really gets under your skin.
½ January 13, 2016
The Bay; a clever crafting of a horror film and a genre-bending example of "eco-horror", found footage and body horror. What starts as a simple yet extravagant fourth of July celebration in a small fishing community spirals shockingly fast into a series of recorded events that is hard to look away from once they begin to unfold on screen. In a word, The Bay is terrifying. I find the idea of biological panic and these kinds of "our government has abandoned us" content really unsettling anyway - to me it is the worst idea of an apocalypse - and the film manages to involve us so deeply and addresses its audience as individuals from start to finish. It's a collection of different accounts told through video diary, Skype, news reporting and video conference and each story is different and more disturbing than the last. It's alot more clever than it realises itself to be really, as it includes so many different styles of horror that the film is almost like an anthology of different short films, similar to that of 2012's V/H/S. Definitely recommend this film. Clever, disturbing and stays under the skin for days.
½ November 1, 2015
~ (C) chaotic mess. The acting is laughably bad. Plot hole galore.
October 21, 2015
Actually a pretty good documentary-style, (sort of) found-footage eco-horror. Delivered with enough pseudo-facts to make it seem very plausible. Entertaining!
½ October 9, 2015
The bay relies on clever mokumentary storytelling and dread over gore to produce a realistic and compelling eco-horror that's sure to please those wanting smart horror.
½ September 19, 2015
Good fun if a little flimsy
September 16, 2015
Let me just be honest here. I normally don't dislike any kind of movie, I usually just think "oh it wasn't very good". But this movie was the first one to make my list. Where can I start?

The acting was very cringeworthy, notably the narrator/main character of the story, Donna. She had no emotion whatsoever the entire film, and kept me very aware that I was watching a work of fiction. Her character is constantly mentioned to be an intern for the local news station, and the events are her first real newscast, but it feels like this entire movie was her first internship in the acting world.

The sound design was also very bad, and I hope that the person who covered sound in this movie was not claiming to be a professional. This movie very much felt like an indie filmmaker's first movie. I almost stopped the movie as soon as I heard the stock pistol fire sound from Doom, it felt like I was watching a production made in a film class in high school. Even indie films made around this time had much better production quality than this garbage. For a 2012 movie, it was very off-putting to see this kind of quality being put out by what is apparently a well-known director.

I do not recommend this movie, it was a waste of my time and it will be a waste of yours. I actually only watched this movie because I was having a hard time picking my next horror flick to add to my recent horror binge, and RT rated it as good. Next time I'll check the audience rating instead.