The Big Sick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Sick Reviews

½ December 14, 2017
Filled with fine performances and driven by a clever, engaging script, "The Big Sick" is a charming picture that avoids cliches and blends humour and drama with impressive skill.
December 13, 2017
Very funny and a wonderful emotional story.
December 12, 2017
Very well written, funny and heartfelt. I loved the scenes with Holly,she was brilliant!
½ December 11, 2017
Funny, charming, and full of love. "The Big Sick" is a rare, near perfect romantic comedy that explores the colliding complexities of family, culture, career, and love. The relationship and dynamics surrounding it feel real and authentic, and that is commendable in this genre.
December 10, 2017
Funny and touching. Very sweet.
December 9, 2017
Presenting an extremely heartfelt true story and adding intelligent comedic moments to it, The Big Sick hits all the right notes in a great romance film while standing solidly on its own ground, thanks to excellent writing and the well-rounded performances of its great cast.
December 9, 2017
Is it weird to laugh and cry in the same movie? anyways this is awesome! pakistani life is hard... but then again I think about it and "life" is hard period. meeting family expectations in any culture is hard, and following rules you don't really understand just because everyone else says they are so is the hardest part of all. It was a great movie, which if certainly doesn't give you the solution, it portraits all of the parts in that family-son, bf-gf, family-in-lay-guy relationships I dont know it was just big and sick.

and remember you shouldn't heckle comedians.

Favorite Quote:
9/11? I'm totally anti
December 9, 2017
Fresh and engaging comedy drama. Good story and charismatic performances.
½ December 9, 2017
Kumail Nanjiani and co have delivered a wonderfully kind-hearted, insightful and beautifully funny movie. It's going straight into my top five for the year.
½ December 7, 2017
A love story we can all rely on. Great acting that really make you root for the protagonists in the movie
½ December 6, 2017
Funny, engaging, heartfelt and thoughtful film about a touching cross-cultural comedy based on the co-writers' real-life courtship.
½ December 5, 2017
lighthearted movie until it's not. Cultural issues hang over this movie which gives it energy beyond the relationship. How will this movie close out? entertaining movie with some cultural questions for everyone.
December 5, 2017
It's not a romcom. Very human and wonderful.
½ December 5, 2017
If there is something that no one can blame this film from being is predictable, since it always finds ways to surprise us with its maturity and sincerity, benefiting from solid performances and a very fine balance between heart and humor to tell us this real-life story.
December 4, 2017
Rom coms are actually my kind of stories as well but it's never my top favorite. If you know me, then you know science fiction will always be my top favorite. But rom coms are interesting. There's always seem to be a balance between serious moments and then the light hearted funny moments and this movie is one of them. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie without even knowing that the story was actually based on a true story! I know, it's something that I should've known in the first place but I thought the story was pretty good anyhow and I know the tag line was included but I honestly just glanced at the big yellow letters saying: The Big Sick. Zoe Kazan who portrays as Kumail's love interest named Emily has seem to have a knack on being in rom com movies and that's okay because she she does a wonderful performance. Kumail who plays as himself in the movie did pretty good as well. I don't think I have ever seen him in any other movie or show but his performance in The Big Sick is really good. Maybe I'll see him in future films or TV shows. What I like about this movie is another type of romantic story that can be typical for anyone but the twist is the whole Muslim situation and how it plays into with Americans in an American society. Given the depictions that was shown in the movie, not vague enough but enough to give an idea of how it's like to be an American with a family from the East and even in the Far East as well. It's stuff like this is what showcases how it's like to be part of something that not many people would imagined. For example how it really is being in an Asian family and expectations plays a big part in the family. It's no different with Middle Eastern families. So I thought that was pretty interesting and I could somehow relate to it. The Big Sick is a nice rom com and especially since it's a true story. If you're looking to watch a good film, then this is for you.
December 4, 2017
A different take on age old genre called romcom, it's been a while since a good romcom was made, this is it. Top notch acting, great story writing, Surprising ending too...
December 2, 2017
The BEST!!!!!!!!! I can't say enough good things
December 2, 2017
it is a much needed breath of fresh air into the comedy industry. with heavy subject matter it uses black awkard comedy to combat the messy situations. One of the better movies I have seen in a long time
½ December 2, 2017
One of the biggest romantic comedies for quite some time and it's got a rather interesting plot. A stand-up comedian from Pakistan is falling in love with an American woman in Chicago. Kumail's family is into deep traditions and arranged marriage is important business. Kumail hates it, but does not want to involve Emily with all the stress about it.
She could kill his connections with his family, while his family never must know anything about them. She is not a Pakistani, right?

So, this rather cute film, with a serious undertone, is excellently paced. There are many happenings here, Emily's hospital visit is key but the two families that are mashed togheter in pretty suddenly is also big features. It's witty and cute. It's well acted and it has some message. Not too cliche-filled, it's very bearable and as a whole it works. Plenty of movie references and nice dialogue. The whole culture clash is both difficult and realistic and the fact that it's based on our lead's real life story is pretty cool. This is not the romcom you should feel shameful for liking.

7 out of 10 giraffes.
½ December 1, 2017
This movie was directed by Michael Showalter, who you probably recognize from Wet Hot American Summer and Stella. He made his feature directorial debut with a film called, Hello, My Name is Doris, which received an 83% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Big Sick was produced by Judd Apatow, who doesn't need much of an introduction, but his influence felt apparent in this movie. I look forward to seeing more from these two as they seem to share a very funny, intelligent, and heartfelt style of storytelling.

In The Big Sick, Showalter proves again that he has a knack not only for comedy, but for drama. For me personally, the majority of the movie was a gut wrenching experience. It was raw, relatable, and emotionally draining. There is nothing worse than helplessly watching someone you love deal with a life threatening illness in the hospital -- and thanks to the top-notch acting and honest writing -- that's exactly what watching this movie felt like.  If it wasn't for the charm and humor of this extremely talented cast and crew, this would have been a real grind to get through.

The reason I say I won't be quick to recommend it is because I respect the fact that most people aren't always looking for a movie that challenges them intellectually or emotionally, including myself. Sometimes you just want to turn your brain off for a few hours and watch some robot giants vaporize a few zombie aliens -- i get that. While I did come away from this movie feeling uplifted, grateful, and inspired, those were the payoffs for spending a lot of time going into the darker places of my mind. Most people who ask me for movie recommendations aren't always seeking that. Shindler's List is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but when someone asks me for a movie recommendation that usually isn't what they are looking for.

With all of that said, I really loved this film. It was based on the real-life romance between Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon. It explored the experience of a first generation middle-easterner in post 9-11 America, a young man dealing with the pressure of generations of family tradition and following his own heart instead of his parents expectations. If you are looking for a Michael Bayesq movie, avoid this at all costs. If you want to earn your emotional payoff instead of having it handed to you on a plate, check it out.