The Black Cat Reviews

• Jul 30, 2018

Goofy "Poe-inspired" silliness from Fulci. Fun to watch on a rainy afternoon.

Goofy "Poe-inspired" silliness from Fulci. Fun to watch on a rainy afternoon.

• May 21, 2018

not fulcis best but its a nice version of the poe story,

not fulcis best but its a nice version of the poe story,

• Jul 24, 2017

Wonderfully made with a well captured gothic aesthetic that makes the film, with great camera work and a production value that looks great. The actual plot itself is overly ridiculous and a little stupid, it doesn't really crave suspense or tension but far better than initial thoughts on paper as the final product isn't all that stupid or boring as it would sound.

• Jun 02, 2017

So I've enjoyed most of the Fulci films I've run across, but this one left me cold for some reason. There's a few interesting death sequences, but overall I just can't get that spooked by a black cat lurking around, which is what this film would have required. The idea of someone sending evil spirits after their enemies is creepy I suppose, but if the messenger is something I'm accustomed to scaring away with a squirt bottle of water, it's hard to be freaked out by it. Rental? At best?

• May 13, 2017

Very weak (and loose) adaptation of the Poe classic.

Very weak (and loose) adaptation of the Poe classic.

• Jun 19, 2016

Schlocky Italian gorehound Lucio Fulci takes on Edgar Allen Poe and manages to make it his usual amateurishly made bloody mess. I still don't really get the cult around Fulci. His films are certainly very gory, but I think that's about the only thing he brings, which I don't really warrants a cult following. However, this film is not as bad as the worst of Fulci's films and it does feature a solid Pino Donaggio score though.

• Jan 16, 2016

Nice scenery and cinematography, as usual with Italian flicks, but not my favorite Fulci movie. the story just kind of plods along a lot. Some of the scenes with the cat were a little ridiculous too...

• Jan 07, 2015

(58%) A Lucio Fulci movie in the category of movies that make at least some sort of sense - well apart from the fact that this is about a killer moggie. And if it is a killer cat movie you're after then this is certainly one of the very best that really does offer what you'd expect. At its best this is a very well shot, creepy, Hichcockian man vs beast nightmare with the great Patrick Magee getting plenty of screen time, well, at least his eyes do. But at its worst it's a bit tepid, and once you've seen the cat strike, which happens very early on, then you've seen more or less all this has to offer. But this is still too entertaining, well made, and at least somewhat connected to Poe's grisly short to dismiss. For giallo fans this is a must watch, while everyone else could do a heck of a lot worse than watch this.

• Nov 30, 2014

Delivers a new take on horror from Lucio Fulci (Director of Zombie Flesh Eaters).

• Oct 11, 2014

I never read the Edgar Allen Poe story that this is supposed to be based off of, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this anyway. Though, the ending I think is supposed to be similar to the results of that story. So that's all I will say about the source material. I enjoyed this Lucio Fulci movie. It's not one of his more popular films like Zombie or The Beyond, but I felt it was a strong directorial effort. There are some nice shots (though way too many closeups of eyes [but this is Fulci, so that's expected]) and the acting is decent considering the plot. It is a bit silly of a movie and it walks a fine line, but it doesn't get laughably absurd and takes itself serious enough. Maybe not Fulci's best, but not his worst and I found it entertaining enough to get through without being bored. Maybe not the goriest, but I think you could see a lot of Fulci's style in the film despite that.