The Bronze Reviews

• Jan 30, 2020

Funny movie with great characters. Surprised by the other ratings here.

Funny movie with great characters. Surprised by the other ratings here.

• Sep 26, 2019

This movie is like a "raunchier" version of I, Tonya. (It was written 2 years prior) It's much better than what the critics have said.

• Aug 10, 2019

You have to trust that it gets beyond two dimensions by the time we get to Acts 2 and 3 of the movie; Strong performances across the board

• Apr 25, 2019

I loved this movie. How could critics say it's unfunny?

I loved this movie. How could critics say it's unfunny?

• Apr 10, 2019

Okay, normally I leave this section for something that is a little older. However, I had to make an exception in this case. My something-to-watch-at-home this time scheduled for release August 2nd, is The Bronze, easily my favorite comedy since The Hangover. Before I get too far into this, I have to warn you that this film isn't for everyone. It's crude, inappropriate and an absolute riot! Anyone who watches The Big Bang Theory knows who Melissa Rauch (Bernadette) is. However, you've never seen her like this before! She's an ex-Olympic athlete who is a local celebrity in her own right, and she takes full advantage of it. There were several moments during the film that had me blushing and even somewhere I had to look away. However, I was basically laughing the whole way through. I couldn't recommend this enough, if you're okay with adult humor that can be a little over the top at times! NOT FOR KIDS!!!

• Feb 23, 2019

Dark, but insightful look into the world of Olympic sports.

Dark, but insightful look into the world of Olympic sports.

• Sep 16, 2018

Hilarious and relatable. Worth the watch.

Hilarious and relatable. Worth the watch.

• Jul 16, 2018

Not as bad as I thought it would be. The main character may be a spoiled, entitled brat mooching off her glory days, but she's still pretty funny at times(not to mention gorgeous as she's played by Melissa Rauch). It's not what you'd call a great comedy, but at least Kevin Hart wasn't in this. That gymnastic themed sex bit was one of the oddest things I've ever seen... obvious stunt doubles too.

• Jul 15, 2018

A movie that has a good idea but is short on details. The positives about it revolve around Hope, who is extremely foul-mouthed and gets most of the funny lines (assuming you like that kind of humor). The sex scene between two gymnasts is a riot. I also liked that Hope doesn't completely change by the end of the movie (still wears her warmup suit, still loves being the pride of the town), she just found a way to move forward with her life, which I think was more true to life and not forced. On the other hand, while I appreciate that they wanted to do a movie with a female main character that is profane and unlikeable, as there are few movies like that, it seems like they were so eager to portray such a character that they didn't bother to take the humor beyond her being crude. There was potential for more jokes from the other characters that wasn't realized, and it seems like they were struggling to fill out the running time with a couple scenes that drag on and are too serious in nature. The funny moments are more spread out than they should be. On a final note, I have no idea what kind of accent Melissa Rauch is trying to do, as I'm from western PA and I've never heard anyone from Ohio talk anything like she does. Ohio isn't known for having a strong regional accent; she sounds like she's doing an accent from New England or something. She was laying on the accent really thick and it was a tad bit distracting.

• May 17, 2018