The Dark Knight Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

December 3, 2016
An action hero movie goes epic... Everything about this movie is on a grand and glorius scale.

The Bat's own weaknesses against the determination of his foes. It is about betrayal vs. loyalty and eventually good overcomes evil. See this on the big screen
December 1, 2016
A disappointment, especially after The Dark Knight. But, it's still really good but mainly just in comparison to pretty much every other superhero movie, and a lot of movies in general. It didn't feel as smooth, more messy, I think because they added a "sidekick" of sorts. I'm not sure if people hate Bane, but I personally love him, and I thought Tom Hardy (he's one of my favorite actors) killed it! I don't think he's better than The Joker, but I do think he'd come alarmingly close if he was better written, and in the movie more. Another con is that the characters you liked from the previous movie are either not here, used less, or used more poorly. It's also too long. It should have AT LEAST been as long as the last, but probably shorter to make sure it was as good as it could be. Anne Hathaway gave a very good performance, probably will be her best ever, and played the character great! The character on the other hand, not that I didn't like it, wasn't as good due to a lot of one liners that, while I felt probably were like the older Batman things (comics mostly, I'd imagine) I found to be pretty cheesy and annoying. It would have worked better if it wasn't in this movie, and part of this character (they shouldn't have made her as dark of a character if they were gonna throw that in.) That's all the negatives I can think of for now, but as for positives I'd say pretty much everything from the previous movie is still here, but like I said, I thought the directing and writing weren't as good. The trilogy clearly peaked with probably the greatest villain of all time, but Christopher Nolan is still one of the greatest directors, and his writing is good, so this movie is still pretty good.
December 1, 2016
not as good as the others, but still a good movie.
November 29, 2016
Better than Iron Fail 3.
November 19, 2016
It ain't Batman Begins or The Dark Knight but still solid, even with all the flaws.
½ November 14, 2016
What could've been a satisfying conclusion, this last instalment is sadly anti-climatic and suffers from numerous plot holes.
November 10, 2016
Christopher Nolan's final installment to his dark knight trilogy is just good, but not great. The first hour an a half is absolutely brilliant. Really giving you the impression that it just might out perform "The Dark Knight," but then after that first hour an a half it falls very flat, just hitting the good mark. Christian Bale definitely nails his all time best performance as Batman in this third installment. The man really is the best actor to portray Batman since Michael Keaton in my view, and currently my favorite. Now, don't get me wrong. Michael Keaton will always be my all time favorite Batman, because he's The Batman I grew up with, but I got to admit; Christian Bale is absolutely stellar in the role. At first I wasn't to keen on the voice Bale chose to play Batman, but now I think it's actually brilliant. Because when you think about it, if your an eccentric billionaire, who secretly dresses s a vigilante to fight crime, you wouldn't use your actual voice for far people might recognize who you are. So, in real life terms, it was a very smart move on Bale's part looking back. Now as for the title villain role of Bane, Tom Hardy is absolutely fantastic in the role. I got to hand it to Chris Nolan, because he really does know what he's doing when it comes to casting actors to play his villains. Because Tom Hardy really does pull off the main villain in this film very well. I know some people are skeptic about the voice, I know I was too, but it actually works very well for Hardy's character. And after giving this a second look after feeling so mixed about the third installment since it's release, Tom Hardy really is a mega superstar at the moment. And if you don't believe me, then you must have not seen "Mad Max: Fury Road," and "The Revenant." For which he received his first Oscar nomination for best supporting actor, as he definitely deserved righteously. My only problem is that I feel Bane is over used in the film compared to Heath Ledger's screen time as The Joker in "The Dark Knight." Nolan should have focused a lot more on Batman and Catwoman, and leave Bane more in the background as a pawn almost so when we do see Bane, we are still drawn to him the way we were to Ledger's Joker. And speaking of Catwoman, I now turn my attention to Anne Hathaway, who takes on the iconic character originally portrayed brilliantly by Michelle Pfeifer in Tim Burton's Batman sequel in 1992, "Batman Returns." And I must say that I do agree with President Obama, as he even said she was the best part of the entire movie. And as much as I do agree in some aspects, I still think Michelle Pfeifer holds the title as best Catwoman of all time. The problem I find is that there just wasn't enough character development for Hathaway to work on as Catwoman. The Selina Kyle aspect was brilliat on her part, but as Catwoman; I must admit I expected a lot more. Gary Oldman is exceptional as always as Commissioner Gordon, and really can't picture any other actor taking on the role. But as for Joseph Gordon-Levitte, as the new hot shot officer Blake, I didn't see the point at all. Now, I know that might come as a huge shock for die hard fans of the third trilogy, especially given what happens at the very end of the movie; I still didn't see any use for his character to be in this third installment at all! And I love Joseph Gordon-Levitee! I think he's one of the best young actors working the movie business right now, but for this one...he could of passed. And of course I can't leave out the legendary Morgan Freeman, who also I can't imagine anyone else portraying the role of Lucius Fox. But the real main weakness in the entire film, and it absolutely kills me to say this, but it's Marion Cotillard. I don't want to give away spoilers for those who haven't seen the third installment STILL, but her role and the revelation of who her character really is at the final third half of the film sucked. I'm sorry, but it did. Oh, yea! I almost forgot about the legendary Michael Caine, who has really become one of my favorite actors as of late, since Nolan has cast him as Bruce Wayne's voice of reason and caretaker Alfred. Caine is absolutely amazing in this third installment! And I would almost say he should have got an Oscar nomination and would have a great front runner for best supporting actor, but he's written off after the first half of the film! I know, I said I wouldn't give away spoilers, but I feel he was written off way too soon into the first half of the movie, after he decides he can't help Bruce Wayne in his journey to fight crime, because he wants something more for the man as he claims cared for since he first heard his cries first echo in Wayne Manor. He wants something more for him, and I get that! But still Nolan and his brother who co-writes with him in the Batman movies should have thought about that one a little more carefully before Alfred returns in the last 15 minutes of the third half of the movie. Other than that, I do say if you still haven't seen this third installment that it is worth a watch, because after all it is the last installment into Nolan's Batman trilogy. But I just needed to get this out, because after giving it a second look and hearing how many people declare that Nolan's Batman trilogy is the best trilogy of all time, I have to disagree. As I fell The Lord of The Rings trilogy still holds the title as best trilogy of all time.
November 4, 2016
It's my favorite of the TDK trilogy.
A perfect ending to my favorite trilogy of movies ever to my favorite comic book hero of all time and has my favorite catwoman.
November 4, 2016
Instant classic. Batman delivers like never before. It's a masterpiece that comes full circle.
½ November 1, 2016
120805: Batman 3? Isn't this Batman 7? This is a long film. I was pretty tired from partying when I went but there's enough action, and it's steady enough, to keep you awake. It's typical Batman fare and it makes me wonder how many times they'll be able to drag this character out. Rest of our lives is my bet. Over and over and over again. And we'll keep going for some reason...I liked Bane but not his attire. He's pretty badass but so is this version of the Bat. I don't regret it going to this film, but I'm already beginning to forget it.
October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The Batman story concludes - and this time it's even more epic, with Nolan engaging us with a higher-stakes story, as well as a continuation of the deep thematic beats of it's predecessor. Improved cohesive writing and a more established tone make for a film that fits and flows much better than the Dark Knight too, plus the whole final action sequence will have you gripped on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Really, all the great things from this epic trilogy amalgamate here, and the coming together had me close to tears. It's the grittiest, most engaging and well-balanced film in the trilogy that like The Dark Knight - makes you think, but like Begins it also makes you feel something. When Nolan does both of those things, it's gold.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The complaint here isn't character or themes, no here it's the story which happens to drag in the middle and fail to ground itself in reality in the way it's predecessors do.
VERDICT: Batman goes full circle. 'The Dark Knight Rises' masterfully combines the best of the first's storytelling, and the second film's ideas. The result just could have been a bit more grounded. And shorter.
½ October 31, 2016
Amazing film. My favourite batman film to date.
½ October 28, 2016
Although it may not be as perfect as The Dark Knight, Nolan manages to live up to the pressure and make a sensational climax to an epic and memorable trilogy. Christian Bale is my Batman and will be missed.
October 23, 2016
the other two were better but this movie is still awesome just like the others. I felt like the beginning drag a little
October 19, 2016
Brilliant. I remember how exited I was for this movie before it came out and it didn't disappoint me. The performances by Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are fantastic. Tom Hardy's Bane might even be as good as Heath Ledger's performance from "The Dark Knight". In my opinion this movie is just as good as it's predecessors. I realised that each movie in the trilogy feels slightly different. "Batman Begins" is an origin film, "The Dark Knight" is a crime drama and "The Dark Knight Rises" is pretty much a war movie. This is one of the most epic comic book movies i have ever seen. Definitely a masterpiece.

10/10 - Masterpiece
October 17, 2016
The Dark Knight Rises and So Can You!
Christopher Nolan is back with more philosophic undertones in the final chapter of his Batman trilogy The Dark Knight Rises. In the trilogy's second installment, The Dark Knight, some critics connected themes of that film to the war in Iraq. In contrast, The Dark Knight Rises is themed around the war going on within us every single day.
The movie begins with the villainous Bane (Tom Hardy) setting the initial direction of the plot. While Batman (Christian Bale) comes out of retirement to defeat Bane, the actual mastermind villain lurks just off-screen. Perhaps sometimes in our own lives we feel that we know what the problem is, when actually it is just a distraction from the real issue.
The darkness portrayed in this film is a message of how dark the world is currently getting around us. Many may feel that they just can't do it anymore. Life may seem too hard. Some may feel that they are stuck in a pit of a prison just as Batman actually was in the film. Just when all hope seems lost and you don't know how Batman is going to get out and save the day, the motivation comes from the other prisoners as they chant. Batman asks a wise man in the prison what they are chanting. He says, "It means 'rise'." This motivation continues with Batman as he goes on to fight his enemies.
This film is a message to all that as our world grows ever darker, we can rise up and defeat the darkness with the light. I left the film feeling motivated. Now whenever I feel myself getting theoretically thrown into a pit I remember the motivating chant of Batman's fellow prisoners. "Rise!"
October 16, 2016
In the film, it's been eight years since Batman's murder of District Attorney Harvey Dent. Batman/Bruce Wayne has taken responsibility for Dent's crimes, and gone into hiding. I like films that continue the story from their predecessor, and this one does it very well by picking up nearly a decade after The Dark Knight. By doing that, we're able to see the impact of the last film's events, giving us an understanding of how Dent's legacy impacts the citizens of Gotham, and has helped put many more criminals behind bars.

I love the cast in this film. Christian Bale is without a doubt the best on-screen Batman, and Tom Hardy is stellar as the main villain, Bane. The other returning cast members are great as well, like Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine. I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was very good, and I liked his addition to the story. Anne Hathaway plays an amazing Selina Kyle/Catwoman. The cast members just do so great, and the writing that accompanies them is amazing as well.

The Dark Knight Rises gives Bane more to do than any other villain in the Dark Knight Trilogy. By emotionally connecting his character to the story, you understand him, and while I don't think he is the best villain of the trilogy, I do think Christopher Nolan did a great job with his interpretation of the character. I also enjoyed the fact that Bruce Wayne doesn't actually show up until after both Bane and Catwoman, are introduced.

I also think Catwoman was great in this film. I'm currently undecided on whether she was better than Michelle Pfeiffer's version of the character, who appeared in Batman Returns, but I think Hathaway did an outstanding job. She just felt more real to me, because she wasn't spouting out weird one-liners like "Life's a bitch, now so am I" during fight scenes. Her character also isn't tied into some supernatural entity in some way, like Pfeiffer's was. I don't care how cool it would be to have 9 lives, I think that in a Batman film, that's kind of stupid. Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises is just a normal person. Mind you, she's still a criminal, but I like that sense of mortality.

Near the end, there's a huge twist that involves Bruce's love interest, Miranda Tate. Throughout the movie, it's said that Bane was born in a brutal prison, and climbed out of it. Ra's al Ghul then says that Bane is his son, and I totally looked past the fact that Ra's al Ghul's child is Talia al Ghul. But I believed that Bame was his son, and when Miranda stabbed Bruce near the end, revealing herself as Talia al Ghul, and that she climbed out of the prison. I watched this for the second time, and was still as shocked as I was back in 2012. The action sequences are also fantastic, and the ending of the film was amazing as well, with Bruce presumed dead, but still alive and together with Selina. Overall, The Dark Knight Rises is the most fantastic superhero film I've ever seen. It has great action sequences, an awesome twist, and a great cast as well.
½ October 15, 2016
This movie is such a disappointment. This movie has bad pacing and a lot of plot holes. The movie at times jumps from days to months at a time, which makes you lose track of the story. I just wish this movie could've been better considering the two movies before it were so spectacular.
October 15, 2016
Incredible third instalment. Another top performance from Bale joined by Tom Hardy with a legendary performance as Bane. One of the best trilogy's i have ever seen.
½ October 10, 2016
Just disappointing follow up to the dark knight. Stupid plot lines and motivations along with gaping disney plotholes