The Devil Inside - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil Inside Reviews

July 2, 2017
The Devil Inside is directed and co-written by William Brent Bell, and it stars Fernanda Andrade and Simon Quarterman in a found-footage film about a daughter that wants to film all of it so that she can see how her mom is doing as she has been possessed by a demon and is in a mental institution. I was thinking to myself about what bad film I should rent and watch, while renting other films that I have seen, but haven't reviewed. So I was about to get this and The Apparation, but I rented too much films, and so I got rid of the later one. So with my mindset going on the fact that I wanted to be hilariously bad, I can say that I didn't hate it as much as I did the first time I watched The Devil Inside, but I still thought it's a piece of crap. The good things about the film are that the premise could've been interesting as it's different than what you typically see from an exorcism film, and the acting is decent at best, with some actors being creepy, and some being dull and meh. There are some points that I get why it's being filmed, and that's all I can think of. So let's get this started. Most of the time, I had no idea why it's being filmed, and when you start to realize why later on, you wouldn't care about it because the story that they have in this is uninteresting. The characters are two-dimensional as you see what the characters' role is, and what their motivations are. Other then that, there's no character that you really would root for. The scares in this are not effective, and they don't progress much through the story. There are some silly moments that are suppose to be scary, but come off as unintentionally funny and silly. Now let's talk about the ending, cause that's what the film is well known for. When things finally start to happen in the climax, the movie decided to end so abruptly, and it gives off a link afterwards that supposedly tells us more information, even though it doesn't work since this movie is years old. So I agree that the ending is probably one of the worst that I've seen, but at least it spawn a hilarious reaction video on YouTube. The Devil Inside is a terrible movie that I couldn't say is one of the worst horror films that I've seen after rewatching this, but it was kind of close there.
April 29, 2017
Not as good as other horror films. Predictable and boring. No scare factor.
½ January 3, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
October 18, 2016
Great movie, best movie ever made. So underrated.
September 4, 2016
I guess I'm one of the very few, but I liked this movie. Maybe because I wasn't expecting a super scary Exorcist type of experience. It was less found-footage/blair witch and more just a documentary to me, so IMO it delivered a compelling story.
July 5, 2016
Coming out during the boom of found footage horror movies, this is yet another example of something that is just not right for the format. Building suspense in mystery and the unknown is how this formula works. The Devil Inside opts for scares through shock value and sensory assault which doesn't work. Things do start to get interesting towards the end but then the film just unceremoniously cuts to black.
June 29, 2016
Short. Needs more meat and potatoes
½ May 18, 2016
why did i get given a website link at the end of this film instead of a good ending
April 2, 2016
added based on Joe Bob Briggs' recommendation
December 11, 2015
This may be the worst "scary" movie I've ever seen.
½ October 16, 2015
good movie but horrible ending
September 25, 2015
It had potential, but it's really cheap on scares, and the ending is complete shit! F
½ September 13, 2015
The only way the movie can end is at the end where the car crashes and rolls over.
Then, they request that you click a link or else The Devil Inside will become a real crisis to the world.
September 6, 2015
I found this soo scary, i dont find many films scary, for e.g I was told 'Conjuring' was the most scary film ever by a lot of people but it didnt scare me at all. This is slow moving to start with and kind of annoying the way it's filmed in documentary style (so camera shaking around a lot) but once it gets going you can kind of see how effective filming it that way is as makes it feel more real.

When i saw how many stars it was rated, I was going to watch another but something about this appealed and i definitely got the scare I was looking for and more!
½ August 19, 2015
2.75. Wow, not quite sure why everyone hated this movie. Maybe it was a little too realistic not enough Hollywood for them. I think I liked the message more than the movie itself. The paranormal is very real, but like everything people don't understand, they fear it and think that if they ignore it that it will cease to exist. It's important to learn about this stuff and know that it is absolutely possible to take a scientific approach on the subject. Actually, it's already been done. We can learn a lot by studying it, if nothing else, how to better protect ourselves from it when necessary. But you should never turn your back on what you fear because if you do it could eat you alive. It is always best to study, to learn about and to fight your enemy.
July 27, 2015
Half decent attempt at an exorcism based horror film that at least brings a different slant on the sub genre. A few genuine chills, but it does all seem a little slight considering the weighty subject matter. Not half as bad as some reviews would make it out to be though.
½ July 15, 2015
no No NO!!!!!!!!!! Piece of trash
½ June 29, 2015
Wobblecam(TM) found-footage aside, a somewhat serviceable, standard possession flick.
June 1, 2015
Absolutely ATROCIOUS. God-awful. A Nightmare. This is a "found footage" movie but even when the camera is supposed to be still while interviewing characters it STILL zooms in and moves and shakes and shakes and shakes and it's SO NAUSEATING!!!!!! The Devil Inside also has one of the most painfully forced, unintentionally hilarious endings of all time.
½ May 24, 2015
The Devil inside fails to make anything scary for the buffs nor of the interest of average filmgoers. And worse yet, offers an intelligence insulting ending that reminds everybody involved and not involved in movie making how NOT to make a conclusion