The Devil's Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil's Rock Reviews

September 6, 2015
Great plot. Decent acting. very nice.
May 8, 2015
This could easily be a stage play given the lack of sets or movement in this psychologically heavy horror movie surrounding the devil. It's passable but certainly won't win awards.
January 23, 2015
Different than most war movies and most horror movies. Some intense acting and interesting twists. Plus a bombshell lead actress. Take a chance on this film and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised
September 29, 2014
A low budget straight to dvd film, good acting, not bad, alcohol required of course.
½ July 7, 2014
Better than expected. Good acting, decent plot and ok sfx.
July 5, 2014
Reasonable low budget horror film. Nothing original though, reminiscent of many other Nazi Occult movies.
½ April 9, 2014
Rather excellent Horror-Thriller about a Nazi and and Allied Soldier joining forces to battle a demon from Hell. Don't wannt to say too much about it because it could be a spoiler. The only negative thing: For how well researched this film was I find it strange that they didn't get some of the german writing on the walls right.
½ March 3, 2014
This is not the worst film I've seen but it's definitely different. Best to watch when your bored.
½ February 13, 2014
Part of the ever burgeoning genre of Nazi horror films, The Devil's Rock follows a pair of soldiers who unwittingly discover and must attempt to thwart a Nazi plan to unleash demonic forces upon their enemies. Equal parts action and creepiness, The Devil's Rock is well-made thriller with plenty to entertain the fan of supernatural horror films.
February 8, 2014
Not to shabby for a kiwi film, worth checking out if horror is your thing.
November 5, 2013
New Zealand WW2 occult Nazi horror set in a bunker on the Channel Islands. Whilst it doesn't quite live up to the tension built in the first half, it works thanks to an idea not often seen in film, gory effects by Weta Workshop and a short running time. The SS villain speaks very much in a kiwi accent but never mind!
October 27, 2013
War & Horror Have Been Done Before, & This Is A Good Example For The Mixing Of Genre's. The Film Plays On The Fact Of Soldiers Missing Loved One's, As The Demon Takes On The Form Of The Woman The Men Love. This Widely Entertaining Film Features Some Good Gore Scenes And Has A Basic But Great Plot.
October 15, 2013
LA COLINA DEL DIABLO - CHEVERE
½ October 12, 2013
Loads of gore and some above average special effects make this war/occult horror movie worth a view. The two main characters were strongly played by Sunderland and Hall. Gina Valera was quite effective as both Helena and the demon. Pretty good effort from New Zealand.
½ October 7, 2013
In a way I was let down by this. I thought I was going to be getting myself into a very campy, ham and cheese fest of a Nazisploitation flick, not the case. But what I got was pretty solid. Thrilling, well acted. It was fun to tropes of an average war movie going on in the foreground while it was glaringly obvious there was something MUCH bigger going on. And heck at the end of the day I still got to see a Nazi read from an ancient book of arcane-evil, to try and take control of a she-demon, what more could one ask for in there wholesome entertainment?
July 31, 2013
Low Budget horror done right--Engaging piece of work!!
½ June 10, 2013
The Devil's Rock (Paul Campion, 2011)

2011, it turns out, was a surprisingly strong year for under-the-radar horror movies. I don't think any of them surprised me more than The Devil's Rock, a period piece that takes place just before D-Day off the coast of Normandy. That sort of thing just begs "abuse the hell out of me", but Campion (Night of the Hell Hamsters, a hilarious short you can dig up on Youtube), adapting his own story, resists the temptation by having all of the action take place in an island bunker, turning this into an interesting variation on the talk-piece. That just happens to contain the devil.

Plot: D-Day is in motion. Two commandos, Ben Grogan (The World's Fastest Indian's Craig Hall) and Joe Tane (The Two Towers' Karlos Drinkwater), are sent to take out a German gun emplacement on an island off the coast of Normandy. When they get there, however, they discover that someone-or something-has done their work for them, leaving only a handful of survivors, most of those dying. The only person who seems to have gotten away relatively unscathed is Klaus Meyer (Out of the Blue's Matthew Sunderland), a Colonel in charge of a secret Nazi project-making a pact with the underworld to ensure German victory in World War II. He seems to have done a better job than anyone expected him to, but he's managed to trap the demon in the summoning circle. The problem is, the demon is very good at manipulating humans-and Ben Grogan really, really misses his wife, Helena (Samoan Wedding's Gina Varela)...

This is a movie that's all about atmosphere-a small number of characters, a small number of sets, and a strong reliance on script and acting to pull it all off. It's not at all your typical horror movie, which may explain its surprisingly low ratings on IMDB (5.5) and Rotten Tomatoes (36% public, 56% critics, and that rather wide divide between public and critical reaction at RT is usually telling). As long as you go into it understanding that, I think you will have a very good time with this movie; it does a very good job with all the necessary pieces and cuts extraneous nonsense to the bone, at least after the first few sequences. Definitely worth checking out. *** 1/2
½ June 7, 2013
Excellent and creepy WW II horror flick from New Zealand. The small cast does a great job. The location shooting (in a real WWII bunker) and limit sets add to the overall atmosphere. I'm not sure why this has as low a composite rating as it does. Perhaps some folks found it too "talky" - but I found the interaction of the characters is what made the movie. Well worth a peek, especially if you are fan of "Weird WWII" stories.
March 25, 2013
A low budget horror movie that does not feel like a low budget movie. The Devil's Rock attempts to scare you with anticipation and ambiance and not startle you. Unlike many other horror movies that only attempt to scare you I enjoyed the storyline of The Devil's Rock. If you are into watching movies outside of the mainstream then the Devil's Rock might be for you.
February 25, 2013
"There's some bad shit going on here, BAD SHIT!"-Sergeant Joe Tane (Karlos Drinkwater)