The Dilemma Reviews

• Jun 28, 2020

This is a great example of how to take a roster of actors of actors that are known for being funny and/or great and....do nothing with it. I'm hoping for their sake, this was a passion project for Vince Vaughn and Kevin James, and Winona Ryder, Jennifer Connolly, and Channing Tatum signed on because it look like a fun time. It does, I'm sure, on paper, but so much of this movie falls flat for me. It's an odd combination of unbelieveable and super obvious, and not "omg, what unbelieveable antics are they going to get up to" (the antics are pretty lame in this one). Unbelieveable that if Kevin James got Winona Ryder, he wouldn't ignore her (because she would find a Channing Tatum in 30 seconds on Tinder), in fact I think they made a movie about this (Hitch). The obvious being, yes, you tell your friend he's being cheated on, so obviously that's going to happen and dragging it out doesn't help the premise. From a cold hard place, yes, the writing of the overall story is pretty good, there is even a decent twist, but they must have got drunk and been laughing at their own shit jokes instead of QAing them properly against other people (Comedy's law: you are not allow to laugh at your own jokes until an audience validate's it.). The ladies were the best thing in this (with Channing pulling a close second by just naturally reacting to what's happening to his character), Winona has the funniest lines and it's all when the tension is supposed to be up because she's being an evil bitch (and nailing it). In the end, all it really did was make me want to watch Might Ducks (Jennifer Connolly was the original girl hockey player), and Connolly didn't even touch the ice. Not the worst thing by far, but it could have been great. I wish I had watched something else when I felt like laughing and I'm probably never going watch it again.

• May 26, 2020

Didn't buy the whole car story premise. The movie was really uneven. Very surprised at how bad it was with all the players attached. Got to blame the script on this one.

• May 18, 2020

It feels tired and trite from the very beginning but picks up steam once "the dilemma" sets in. Ron Howard plays it safe and never leaves familiar ground the entire film, meandering from one redundant scene to the next. Fortunately the cast, (particularly Vince Vaughn), elevates the tedious nature with ease.

• Apr 08, 2020

A film that fits it's title perfectly.

A film that fits it's title perfectly.

• Jan 19, 2020

It starts with the two overweight male leads and their two knockout girlfriends. Then pile on cheese alternating with smart mouth and throw in outrageously unrealistic corporate scenes and you have The Dilemma. I love Jennifer Connelly and Winona Ryder so i brought my rating up to 2 stars.

• Jan 18, 2020

A simple premise with a great director doing his best at what he can with the script and what we get is a blend of dark humor and some romantic drama packaged in a crazy loaded package. I still dug it tho

• Jan 14, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (2.5/5) By piling bad decisions upon bad, our main character manages to turn a story dilemma into a problem story. The comedic aspect has its moments, but it can't save the movie. Duration/Tempo: (3/5) At 1 hour and 51 minutes, it feels about the same. It didn't have enough "comedy" to make it worth the extra minutes. Cast & Crew: (3.5/5) Vince Vaughn does OK with what he's given. Summary: (2.5/5) Just not funny enough for a comedy.

• Oct 20, 2019

I thought it was okay and the massage scene was funny. Ron Howard usually makes great films but maybe there was an issue with the writing an editing. The direction seemed fine.

• Oct 01, 2019

Vince Vaughn is hilarious and erratic as usual, never ceases to get a laugh out of me. Kevin James' character is boring and out of place. Great female roles. Overall an amusing movie but nothing impressive.

• Aug 30, 2019

Tonally uncertain and not as funny as it could've been but Vince Vaughn does okay, Kevin James is charming and Ron Howard is trying his best with the script given to him.