The Dog Reviews

• Feb 22, 2016

The true story behind Dog Day Afternoon is way crazier than you imagine. John Wjtowicz was a dirty old man, a self-aggrandizer, and a gay rights pioneer (who knew?). This documentary is a hair too long, but always entertaining.

• Jun 29, 2015

The documentary "The Dog" tails the tale of the late John Wojtowicz; the real life homosexual bank robber who the hit 70's film "Dog Day Afternoon" is based on. As presented in "Dog Day Afternoon", Wojtowicz' committed a bank robbery in early 70's in New York, along with two amateurs, to pay for his boyfriend's sex change operation. In the doc "The Dog", Wojtowicz is presented as an outlandish, outspoken New Yorkan who had no regrets about his crime; and also does not restraint himself on telling all the ins & outs of his homosexual lifestyle. Directors Allison Berg and Frank Keraudren had a bit of bark in the making of the documentary but not enough bite. Sure, they do interview plenty of players involved in that infamous bank robbery including Wojtowicz's ex-boyfriends, his ex- wife, and the amateur would-be robber who chickened out. But somehow, I felt "The Dog" tried to bite more than it could chew by stating too many mundane happenings. Nevertheless, you attica check it out if you are going through one of those dog days; just beware of some of "The Dog" drawbacks I warned you about. *** Average

• Jun 16, 2015

John Wojtowicz, the bank robber whose story was told in "Dog Day Afternoon", tells his story ... a much bigger story than the one told in the Lumet flm. Wojtowicz takes us through his discovery of his homosexuality while serving in the army, his first marriage and first divorce, his involvement in the early gay rights movement, his involvement in one of the first same-sex marriages to be performed in NYC, and the events that drove him to rob the bank. He's the center of the film, and his unbelievably entertaining in a manner that only a New Yorker can be. He's also unbelievably frank ... at one point he nonchalantly tells us that his nickname was due to his really small penis. Watch this film.

• Mar 02, 2015

This is probably the most f*cked up documentary I have ever watched.

This is probably the most f*cked up documentary I have ever watched.

• Jan 29, 2015

'The Dog' is a very entertaining documentary about the man and the story behind the iconic 70s movie 'Dog Day Afternoon'. I like following the aftermath of the real life robbery like this is an unofficial sequel. 'Dog Day', one of my all time favorites, is so great that the documentary can't reach the greatness of the 70s classic but this documentary is still fascinating.

• Jan 09, 2015

An interesting look at a man who was quite the character.

An interesting look at a man who was quite the character.

• Jan 02, 2015

I love Dog Day Afternoon. Granted, I haven't seen it in years, but I think it's a great film. What a surprise to see that the real-life events that it's based on are actually even more interesting. This really could have been a feature film, but I'm so glad that instead it's a documentary. John Wojtowicz is an even more interesting person than his character in Dog Day Afternoon. Really great job balancing out many of his life events and not trying to cram too much in and still leaving a big emotional impact. Great stuff, and I highly recommend it. It can be highly funny and also have a big emotional impact. Heartbreaking without being sappy.

• Dec 31, 2014

John Wojtowicz is a fascinating character with a story that seems almost too crazy to be true but I don't think this documentary got under the surface of it enough. It seems like some of the most obvious questions about the topics presented here (gay life in the 60s/70, describing the robbery, reacting to the movie) go both unasked and unanswered in favor of a somewhat meandering telling of his life story that glosses over significant pieces without fanfare. I give it three stars simply because hearing some of the things that come out of not only his mouth but his mother's is more than worth watching. In the end though this could have been so much richer.

• Dec 13, 2014

fact that is the way to the other day

fact that is the way to the other day

• Dec 13, 2014

Fascinating documentary about the real bank robber in Dog Day Afternoon. I really liked it.