The Eagle Huntress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eagle Huntress Reviews

November 11, 2017
8/10

Interesting and compelling, a fascinating look into mongolian eagle hunting.
October 3, 2017
Gorgeous film about a culture superficially quite different from that of South Central Pennsylvania. The conservative old men who want to keep women "in their place" and resist a girl taking up a traditional male activity appear to be a worldwide phenomenon, though.
September 20, 2017
Loved it. A wonderful story, beautiful bird and breath-taking scenery! A great watch!
Antonius Block
September 11, 2017
I'll start by saying the cinematography by Simon Niblett is extraordinary. The scenery is gorgeous to begin with, sure, but it takes real skill to capture the shots he did, and that's what first and foremost makes this a film well worth seeing. The storytelling and pace from Director Otto Bell is also engaging, and it's such a unique tale. And who can forget the heartwarming relationship Aisholpan Nurgaiv has with her father Rys, both playing themselves? They are amazing people. There is a feminist message that is empowering to girls here, and it's a movie suitable for all ages. The film did take some heat for being described as a documentary, and while it's based on true events, it feels staged in portions and is a story told after the fact. Some get quite bent out of shape over that, and to them I would just say get over it and enjoy it for what it is - a beautiful movie.
August 6, 2017
Aisholpan, a 13-year-old girl Mongolian wants to become the first female eagle hunter
despite the fact the tradition has been handed down by men for generations she intends to break that mold and show that girls can be just as brave and courageous
her mother even feels that a woman has the right to choose her happiness and for this girl she wants to do just that
the film is so astonishingly shot in this almost barren landscape; we see the peoples live their lives the way they do and how in tune with nature they are
the eagle hunter competition is a big deal for this part of the world and has its contestants show their skills with their birds
Daisy Ridley wonderfully narrates Aisholpan's life from her home to her school to following in her father's footsteps taming her own eagle
it's a rough journey to be successful mastering the animal as well as the elements
not an ordinary documentary but a very inspiring one looking beautiful while telling a unique story of one person breaking tradition as well as changing it
July 30, 2017
Outstanding. Breathtaking scenery, wish I had seen it at the cinema rather than DVD but marvellous nonetheless. A well told story of a lovely family supporting their daughter to achieve her dream.
½ July 28, 2017
Despite its touching and powerful message as well as its unique glimpse into a foreign culture, The Eagle Huntress felt a little too long and thin of an experience to get full credit for its artistic splendour and societal commentary. Overall I don't regret watching this film, in fact, I feel it enlightened me in many ways. But you would be hard pressed to get me to watch it again anytime soon, as the slow, rural life depicted has a hard time staying consistently engaging for its given runtime.
½ June 5, 2017
The animal slavery.

I remember when this film was considered for the Oscars race. But some people were saying everything from the film was staged, instead of reality. I was like, had no idea what to say for such accusation since I haven't seen it yet. That's when I just had watched 'Brothers of the Wind', an Austrian documentary style feature film on the almost similar theme. So I had lots of expectation on this one, but now, after watching, in fact, while watching itself got frustrated by it and also very happy it did not make into the Oscars.

I expected a Mongolian tale and yes, it was, but about a Kazakh family. Except the subtitle for the language spoken in the film, there was an English narration that voiced by Daisy Ridley in the background to explain the events properly. Because this is not an interview kind of documentary, but follows a couple of characters to their adventures. Yep, almost entire film did not look like a natural event, but pre-planned. It's a directional debut for the filmmaker. Definitely he has the capacity, but did not pick the right theme.

It's about a nomad family living in the nowhere of Mongolian grassland. The film opened with by saying the eagle training art is older than many historic events and its people the region has seen. So this little family has no son since the art is only passed on to them for generations. But the 13-year-old Aisholpan is interested to follow her father's footstep. That's where it all begins when she begins her training, following to have her own bird before competing in the biggest annual event in the nation.

I don't know when the last time I rated a film this low, especially for a documentary film, probably this one is the first. I hated everything about the film since I'm a big animal fan. Lots of people who saw it appreciating without the brain. I wonder, would they all appreciated as well the abduction films like 'Taken from Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story', 'Abducted: The Carlina White Story' et cetera for not revealing the truth, but the crime committed in it, just like an eaglet was abducted in this.

For me it looked like about an animal abuse and animal slavery. Everything they did in the film were for pleasure, for the record, for honour and of course for the film-making. Since humans are civilised and at present in the modern world, we had ended many inhumane practices and this is one of them should be abolished as soon as possible.

If a farmer uses a cattle (domestic animal) in his field means he's intended to feed the millions. So do you think snatching an eaglet (wild animal) and training it would do the same or any worth. In fact, it is to kill other animals, like the fox. If an eagle hunts a fox in the natural world, that's very natural, but doing it for human is a big imbalance. DON'T SUPPORT SUCH FILM GUYS. Hats off to the Academy Awards for snubbing it. The competition that showed in the film was good, but I really heart broken when they went on to prove even more than that in the third act.

It is not an inspiring film, but disgusting. If people/animal fans go after on a fiction feature film like 'Wiener-Dog' for depicting animal(s) badly, why not this documentary film based on the live- real. Please don't show it to the little kids. This film joins the list of those a very few I hate badly such as 'Man vs. Wild'. I regret watching it, but I would have not known such bad practice is still exists in the 21st century. If you are an animal lover like me, stay away from it. Instead, I highly, strongly recommend a beautiful, inspiring, message film 'Brothers of the Wind'. So totally ignorable film.

01/10
½ June 2, 2017
Little demon girl killing beautiful animals for sport.
½ May 27, 2017
Beautiful scenery, very realistic filming of tradition of eagle hunting , and a breakthrough for female empowerment.
May 18, 2017
So uplifting! Eagles! Altai mountains! Young girl triumphs over prejudices of elderly men!
½ May 12, 2017
Beautiful landscape, fascinating tradition and equality champion, excellent film.
April 22, 2017
On the subject of a daughter-father film ....I saw this documentary just days after the U.S. election. It tells such a powerful story of a 13 year old girl in Mongolia whose father supports her desire to become something that only males aspire to do: bond with a wild baby eagle in the sport/culture of hunting together on horseback for a period of 7 years. After that time, the eagle is set free again. It is never made to be 'a pet', but rather a type of companion with the human in chasing rabbits & foxes in the wild throughout the year for the consumption of the meat to feed the entire nomadic family as well as sell the pelts or trade them for necessities.
The use of various small digital cameras with high-tech capabilities made for a tremendously beautiful film. Drone footage over the countryside of Mongolia is magnificent as well as some Go-Pro footage directly from the body of an eagle swooping over the terrain. Neither was overused but merely added to the overall texture of the story unfolding over a long period of time. And I cannot think of another father-daughter film that really warmed me like this one did. 'The Eagle Huntress' really packs a good dose of feminist punch for anyone who feels the need to see more positive female energy in film - or in life in general.
April 14, 2017
Fantastic documentary!
½ April 8, 2017
Now I have to add Mongolia to my bucket list.

This documentary is amazing and Aisholpan is an inspiration. She is lucky to have been born to enlightened parents willing to let her pursue her dreams.
March 23, 2017
Absolutely stunning and heartwarming, Aisholpan is just the most wonderful young person you would ever be fortunate to meet.
March 18, 2017
I absolutely loved this documentary which is now one of my favourite films from 2016. It is an inspiring and visually beautiful story of a young 13 year old girl whop aspires to be the first female Kazakh eagle hunter. She must overcome many obstacles, but has the love and support of her entire family. Yes, at times it does feel manipulative, but is such a heartwarming and inspirational story that it can be forgiven. The cinematography and scenery is outstanding and it was fascinating to learn about this culture, that uses eagles to hunt in the mountains during the very harsh winters. A must watch film!
March 9, 2017
Spectacular cinematography provides a backdrop to the story of Aisholpan, a young girl training to be the first eagle huntress in generations. It is a beautiful film, full of resilience and strength, both from Aisholpan and the eagles she trains. The only problem is that resistance to Aisholpanâ(TM)s aspirations is pretty much non-existant. Her family, classmates and the surrounding members of her society, at worst show her indifference, but most are excited to have someone of her talent and drive in their midst, her gender never really comes into play. In the real world, this is a non-issue, however, it leaves the film devoid of major conflict. Unfortunately, the filmmakers find the need to manufacture it, managing to conjure up a couple of elders who are strongly opposed to a woman taking on the challenge of eagle hunting. These few talking heads moments feel out of place with the overwhelming support that Aisholpan experiences. For the most part, this doesn't take away from the beauty of the film, but it would have been nice if the filmmakers had had enough faith in their subject as the people in her life do to carry the film without making up obstacles to her success. Her story doesn't need embellishment. It stands on its own.
½ March 2, 2017
A marvelously filmed glimpse into nomadic life and ancient customs in Mongolia.
Stirring!
February 26, 2017
Beautiful and very inspirational!