The Eagle Huntress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eagle Huntress Reviews

March 23, 2017
Absolutely stunning and heartwarming, Aisholpan is just the most wonderful young person you would ever be fortunate to meet.
March 18, 2017
I absolutely loved this documentary which is now one of my favourite films from 2016. It is an inspiring and visually beautiful story of a young 13 year old girl whop aspires to be the first female Kazakh eagle hunter. She must overcome many obstacles, but has the love and support of her entire family. Yes, at times it does feel manipulative, but is such a heartwarming and inspirational story that it can be forgiven. The cinematography and scenery is outstanding and it was fascinating to learn about this culture, that uses eagles to hunt in the mountains during the very harsh winters. A must watch film!
March 9, 2017
Spectacular cinematography provides a backdrop to the story of Aisholpan, a young girl training to be the first eagle huntress in generations. It is a beautiful film, full of resilience and strength, both from Aisholpan and the eagles she trains. The only problem is that resistance to Aisholpanâ(TM)s aspirations is pretty much non-existant. Her family, classmates and the surrounding members of her society, at worst show her indifference, but most are excited to have someone of her talent and drive in their midst, her gender never really comes into play. In the real world, this is a non-issue, however, it leaves the film devoid of major conflict. Unfortunately, the filmmakers find the need to manufacture it, managing to conjure up a couple of elders who are strongly opposed to a woman taking on the challenge of eagle hunting. These few talking heads moments feel out of place with the overwhelming support that Aisholpan experiences. For the most part, this doesn't take away from the beauty of the film, but it would have been nice if the filmmakers had had enough faith in their subject as the people in her life do to carry the film without making up obstacles to her success. Her story doesn't need embellishment. It stands on its own.
½ March 2, 2017
A marvelously filmed glimpse into nomadic life and ancient customs in Mongolia.
Stirring!
February 26, 2017
Beautiful and very inspirational!
½ February 25, 2017
Not interesting to me
February 22, 2017
Great independent film. Really enjoyed and a must see
February 19, 2017
This film makes me feel good. A young girl of the people of the Altai Mountains of Mongolia seeks something only males are allowed to do--she wants to be an Eagle hunter. Trained by her proud father, Aisholpan competes in the Eagle hunter festival. This is a competition for men that no girl has ever entered. She is, however, the Eagle Huntress.
February 19, 2017
Regardless of its controversy which is unfortunate, The Eagle Huntress is still such a good and mostly satisfying documentary. It needed to have more interviews, but it tells us everything we need to know about this Mongolian tradition and it is always fascinating and very involving to watch. It is also emotional and its biggest strength is the cinematography with aerial shots which are absolutely stunning leading to one of the best looking films of the year.
February 18, 2017
The cinematography was spectacular but the lack of more English narrative or translation left me lost at times
February 18, 2017
Great story about overcoming barriers
February 17, 2017
Amazing scenery, nature, people, animals and of course the eagles. A lovely but predictable story.
February 13, 2017
A beautiful and empowering story for all ages. The whole family watched it together.
February 13, 2017
fascinating great father daughter movie
February 12, 2017
One of the best dad and daughter films I've seen in awhile.
½ February 12, 2017
The cinematography is the show-stealer, topped perhaps only by Bodrov's 'Mongol' for presenting the Mongolian steppe in all it's magnificence. The story telling is where this film breaks down. At the risk of coming off like one of the documentary's snaggle-toothed "traditionalists" in a girl-power world, so many scenes appear staged so as not to upset the foregone conclusion. Our fearless protagonist rises to the apex of eagle hunter-dom after training for all of four months?? This does a great injustice to very tradition the documentary claims to extol.
February 10, 2017
Would I have watched this movie if I wasn't currently living in Kazakhstan, the answer is no. Did I love it, the answer is an unequivocal yes. Would I encourage other people to watch it, totally.

I fell in love with Aisholpan, she is just like the school girls I see in town. Dressed in her school uniform with the huge white pom poms on the end of her braids, giggling as she chats to her girlfriends. This may be a patriarchal society, but to me it always seems to be the women that are doing all the work. Why shouldn't she be an Eagle Huntress? Society has a way of telling us what to do and what not to do, perhaps occasionally someone comes along that doesn't conform. Her father says that he sees boys and girls are equal, he is a forward looking man for Kazakhstan. You have to bear in mind that when a girl marries, she moves in to her in-laws home, and leave her family.

When I see her chapped lips I am reminded of the fishermen I see on the Ural river every day in winter after it freezes, it might be -40 some days but they are still there. These are a hardy people and very proud with it. It is definitely an environment where you work hard to live. This is exactly what Aisholpan is doing, she is working hard to live.Even as children their lives are not easy,think about it, she and her siblings spend all week away from their family to get an education because it is too far to travel on a daily basis.

This is in no way a story about poverty, this is a story about another way of life. A way of life that has been in place a long time before our Western perceptions. I giggled when I saw her collect the ridged laundry, I often pass washing in the middle of winter and wonder if it every dries.

I have had the privilege of having been allowed to have one of the eagles land on me. My desire to pet the eagle was far outwayed by the knowledge that that beak is like a scimitar. Aisholpan would have had to overcome fear to be so comfortable with her eagle. You have to bear in mind that this movie comes with subtitles, "shoo go away" would not have been what came out of my mouth if the mother eagle was circling around. Any accolades that come her way will be well deserved.

The external locations filmed are stunning, giving you a wanderlust to visit. The town featured is truly representative of the smaller towns in Kazakhstan. The score used for the film was meditative.

Should you care if it is a true documentary or not? Well that would be up to you, I however feel that scripted or not this is most likely a true documentation of what it would be like to be a nomad in the far east regions of Kazakhstan.

For me, it was an hour and a half well spent.
February 5, 2017
Much more interesting than I thought it would be. My entire family loved it.
January 30, 2017
Amazing movie. Amazing girl.
January 28, 2017
See the well informed review by Megan Fitz-Hanes. Okay as a kids' movie.