The Eagle Huntress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eagle Huntress Reviews

May 18, 2017
So uplifting! Eagles! Altai mountains! Young girl triumphs over prejudices of elderly men!
½ May 12, 2017
Beautiful landscape, fascinating tradition and equality champion, excellent film.
April 22, 2017
On the subject of a daughter-father film ....I saw this documentary just days after the U.S. election. It tells such a powerful story of a 13 year old girl in Mongolia whose father supports her desire to become something that only males aspire to do: bond with a wild baby eagle in the sport/culture of hunting together on horseback for a period of 7 years. After that time, the eagle is set free again. It is never made to be 'a pet', but rather a type of companion with the human in chasing rabbits & foxes in the wild throughout the year for the consumption of the meat to feed the entire nomadic family as well as sell the pelts or trade them for necessities.
The use of various small digital cameras with high-tech capabilities made for a tremendously beautiful film. Drone footage over the countryside of Mongolia is magnificent as well as some Go-Pro footage directly from the body of an eagle swooping over the terrain. Neither was overused but merely added to the overall texture of the story unfolding over a long period of time. And I cannot think of another father-daughter film that really warmed me like this one did. 'The Eagle Huntress' really packs a good dose of feminist punch for anyone who feels the need to see more positive female energy in film - or in life in general.
April 14, 2017
Fantastic documentary!
½ April 8, 2017
Now I have to add Mongolia to my bucket list.

This documentary is amazing and Aisholpan is an inspiration. She is lucky to have been born to enlightened parents willing to let her pursue her dreams.
March 23, 2017
Absolutely stunning and heartwarming, Aisholpan is just the most wonderful young person you would ever be fortunate to meet.
March 18, 2017
I absolutely loved this documentary which is now one of my favourite films from 2016. It is an inspiring and visually beautiful story of a young 13 year old girl whop aspires to be the first female Kazakh eagle hunter. She must overcome many obstacles, but has the love and support of her entire family. Yes, at times it does feel manipulative, but is such a heartwarming and inspirational story that it can be forgiven. The cinematography and scenery is outstanding and it was fascinating to learn about this culture, that uses eagles to hunt in the mountains during the very harsh winters. A must watch film!
March 9, 2017
Spectacular cinematography provides a backdrop to the story of Aisholpan, a young girl training to be the first eagle huntress in generations. It is a beautiful film, full of resilience and strength, both from Aisholpan and the eagles she trains. The only problem is that resistance to Aisholpanâ(TM)s aspirations is pretty much non-existant. Her family, classmates and the surrounding members of her society, at worst show her indifference, but most are excited to have someone of her talent and drive in their midst, her gender never really comes into play. In the real world, this is a non-issue, however, it leaves the film devoid of major conflict. Unfortunately, the filmmakers find the need to manufacture it, managing to conjure up a couple of elders who are strongly opposed to a woman taking on the challenge of eagle hunting. These few talking heads moments feel out of place with the overwhelming support that Aisholpan experiences. For the most part, this doesn't take away from the beauty of the film, but it would have been nice if the filmmakers had had enough faith in their subject as the people in her life do to carry the film without making up obstacles to her success. Her story doesn't need embellishment. It stands on its own.
½ March 2, 2017
A marvelously filmed glimpse into nomadic life and ancient customs in Mongolia.
Stirring!
February 26, 2017
Beautiful and very inspirational!
½ February 25, 2017
Not interesting to me
February 22, 2017
Great independent film. Really enjoyed and a must see
February 19, 2017
This film makes me feel good. A young girl of the people of the Altai Mountains of Mongolia seeks something only males are allowed to do--she wants to be an Eagle hunter. Trained by her proud father, Aisholpan competes in the Eagle hunter festival. This is a competition for men that no girl has ever entered. She is, however, the Eagle Huntress.
February 19, 2017
Regardless of its controversy which is unfortunate, The Eagle Huntress is still such a good and mostly satisfying documentary. It needed to have more interviews, but it tells us everything we need to know about this Mongolian tradition and it is always fascinating and very involving to watch. It is also emotional and its biggest strength is the cinematography with aerial shots which are absolutely stunning leading to one of the best looking films of the year.
February 18, 2017
The cinematography was spectacular but the lack of more English narrative or translation left me lost at times
February 18, 2017
Great story about overcoming barriers
February 17, 2017
Amazing scenery, nature, people, animals and of course the eagles. A lovely but predictable story.
February 13, 2017
A beautiful and empowering story for all ages. The whole family watched it together.
February 13, 2017
fascinating great father daughter movie
February 12, 2017
One of the best dad and daughter films I've seen in awhile.