The Frozen Ground Reviews

• Nov 01, 2019

Great film, all Characters played well into the creepy world

Great film, all Characters played well into the creepy world

• Aug 05, 2019

There are two things I loved about this movie: the unique setting and the performances. Alaska is a beautiful, frigid place and this film does an adequate job of selling it. Honestly, the scenery is so good it would be hard for them to screw it up, although they do try to find rather narrow and forested areas to cover up as much grandeur as possible. The performances are uniformly good. John Cusack in particular is excellent (he even looks rather like him). Nicholas Cage is rather hard to take seriously these days, but he’s fine. I really liked the girl. The film’s problem is that it does nothing else original. The thriller is entirely paint-by-numbers and goes nowhere interesting. The big moment where they squeeze a confession out of him seems a completely unmotivated anticlimax. The real case seems to have done without such an unnecessary scene. The forensic evidence they had was alone enough to convict him, even in the movie. The gun used in the murders, witness testimony, and a map including locations of known victims? A confession’d be nice, but there’s no way the police were letting him go once they had all that.

• Aug 04, 2019

Nicolas Cage is excellent. Feels like he is the real Deal. As for John Cusack, my favourite actor from the 90s and the early 2k he plays a fine evil demented man. But they definitely could of picked a better actor for this specific role. However as the movie goes on He gets better and better. at the end when he's arguing with cage he truly nails the pure evil nasty man this was. They should of dove into that character more. John only speaks about 2 dozen words before that argument. So 5 stars for the performance of John and Cage who are just about all but gone from any big budget or meaningful rules in just good movies. Too bad. Cusack choosing to snub his former best friends and become a highly left, some would say America hating activists who just seems miserable all the time. And Cage, well he seems to have had more issues to even mention. my point is these are both two of the finest actors i grew up with and now, most people under 40 couldn't name a movie they were in. A shame.

• Jun 09, 2019

Great movie overall with an outstanding cast!!

Great movie overall with an outstanding cast!!

• Jun 09, 2019

Basically I enjoyed the movie. Emotion was not believable but a lot of good actors.

• May 31, 2019

While watching the movie I felt everything seemed very overdramatized. It felt fake and unbelievable. I guess with the documentaries and true film making, by that I mean trying to be as accurate (aka chernobyl) the drama just doesn't do it for me anymore — I want the facts and I want it to be accurate. Anyways, I then read about the actual case with actual facts — I found the true story way more interesting and felt it would have may a way better story than what was put together. It's disappointing and it feels disrespectful to the victims of this case.

• May 30, 2019

A really entertaining movie. It's very captivating and keeps you watching. The script is well written and pretty complex, there's atmosphere, but the best aspect of this film is the great Nicholas Cage, alongside a grisly performance by John Cusack. There's also a pleasant surprise by 50 Cent. It's a sometimes demented film, and is also very sad. But the fact that it's based in true events makes it even more shocking. It's true that this type of movie has been done before, but overall, The Frozen Ground is a very good crime/thriller. Recommended!!

• Apr 06, 2019

Such a sad sad story, the acting was very well done for such a traumatic event.

Such a sad sad story, the acting was very well done for such a traumatic event.

• Mar 30, 2019

Strengths: I liked the way the plot throughout this movie unfolded. There wasnâ(TM)t any mystery to it, since we knew the killer from the start. However, youâ(TM)re left on the edge of your seat trying to find out if this guy would get away with it all. He came close several times. Nicolas Cage (Jack Halcombe) has become something of a joke but every once in a while, he reminds you that he is an Academy Award winning actor. He does some of his best work in this movie. The true scene stealer is Vanessa Hudgens (Cindy Paulson). She portrays the broken prostitute very well. Itâ(TM)s an emotional performance where she has to be very vulnerable. Sheâ(TM)s a frustrating character, which is what she should be because sheâ(TM)s been through so much. John Cusack (Robert Hansen) is also solid as the sadistic killer/rapist. Weaknesses: Though the performances are strong, the characters are quite thin. Thereâ(TM)s nothing unique about them and they never get much time to develop. They are also full of clichà (C)s. In fact, the plot is riddled with those. While the movie is based on a true story, they could have done a few things that werenâ(TM)t typical in the genre. Iâ(TM)ve never seen a Scott Walker movie before, but he didnâ(TM)t seem too great as a director. Thereâ(TM)s nothing about any of this that feels special or unique. Overall: A mostly generic thriller that gets lifted up by some really good acting from the three leads. A handful of tense moments also helps.

• Super Reviewer
    Mar 02, 2019

Not the best acting, but very suspenseful.

Not the best acting, but very suspenseful.