The Future - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Future Reviews

½ November 4, 2016
they almost lost me in the beginning, but i got there. now i have as many questions as answers, but isn't that the point? i just wish i could ask the creator if Jason has cancer. i suppose not, or he couldn't have met future jason...
July 24, 2016
Painfully annoying. Avoid.
½ June 23, 2016
I found The Future somewhat tolerable, and in the days since I watched this "filmovie" I've found myself struggling to interpret Miranda July's work. In that sense, it's "art," but I can't say it's good art.
There were some sincerely endearing and moving moments, mixed with quirk, pity and despair. That shouldn't necessarily be a negative; how many great pieces of art evoke whimsy, sadness, tears, hopelessness, fear for our future? This filmovie, however, left me fearful of the future of so called up-and-coming film artists. I struggled to realize a genuine point of contention between the two main characters (or the state of their lives), which is the fault of narration and direction. Atop this, there wasn't enough of a tipping point for me to realistically believe the after-climax narration. I understand that this "filmoive" was trying to deeply and critically analyze that point when adulthood becomes less of a choice and more of a fact of life, but it fails. Sizably.
½ November 28, 2015
I like how the film conveys emotions towards a subject with observable actions than just words. It's whimsical in that you would not use logic to watch it, which makes it a little interesting to my personal taste.
November 23, 2015
At the end of this crazy movie, one feels he or she has watched
something quite profound, but has no idea why.
April 29, 2015
Is in a list of "great but under-rated movies I should see" (Apr2015 article)
½ March 15, 2015
The most interesting, but sad part of this is the cat. This is about a couple who are boring and they decide to do something different. Both end up drifting apart, but it's just too boring to watch... to indie, mumblecore, whatever.
January 9, 2015
A movie that reminds you how sad real life can be. Would have like more Paw Paw. Miranda July is my favourite weirdo so I just like anything she touches.
June 28, 2014
Very weird and made no sense. Had read about it in an article about movies that were good but we might have missed. Not sure what the person who wrote the article was thinking.
½ June 18, 2014
"The Future" plays like a parody of Miss. July's previous movie, her performance and Hamish Linklater's are overdone, and any chance of the story expanding is blocked by (late to the game) post-modern experiments that fail to reward the viewer.
June 16, 2014
If you like quirky, indie films then check out this one we watched last night.
June 6, 2014
I thought "Me and You and Everyone We Know" was eccentric enough but "The Future" had multiple layers of eccentricity, which worked and didn't work to the film's advantage. I was swaying back and forth from liking it to finding it pointless to pondering its themes to disliking the characters of "The Future."
½ April 28, 2014
Strange movie in a good way. It certainly has something to do with Schrödinger's cat's paradox (alive and dead at the same time until an observer decides weather he's dead or alive, but the cat talks so he's conscious and it brings the paradox to another level like Wigner's interpretation or parallel universes), but frankly I didn't understand all of it (and if it's the case, I wonder if July really did).
The photography is very good and the dialogues are quite original. It's a movie that makes you think and surprises you several times.
April 8, 2014
The Future is really a life-affirming film, once you look past its deep undertones of self-loathing and despair.
March 29, 2014
January 27, 2014
This movie is an eye-opener.
Also, I felt bad for the cat.
January 21, 2014
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

(2011) The Future
DRAMA

Independent movie written, directed and starred Miranda July, she plays Sophie who happens to be the common law wife of Jason (Hamish Linklater), and one day they both decided to adopt an injured cat who is oddly narrating the story of the entire movie. Jason happens to quit his old job something to do with going online for an environmental one, while Sophie becomes more self conscious about her looks as she does specific dance moves on front of her 'Youtube' followers. It is then Sophie illicit an affair with a much older man named Jack who Jason corresponded with upon adopting the injured cat, who also jotted down his phone number for a picture his daughter had drawn. Marshall (David Warshofsky) is the older guy Sophie has affairs with just because she wanted to live in a house for a change instead of an apartment. All this means is that Jack apparently is also much more high maintenance than Jason who is conveniently single with a daughter. The movie is shallow for viewers are limited to know more or less of these characters topping it off a cat narrating the events of the story. I also think theirs supposed to be some kind of spiritual thing evolving from the movie which to me is nothing wrong involving Jack except that I didn't like care or anything.

2 out of 4 stars
January 20, 2014
kind of a love / hate. would never recommend, but as background noise, there are some good bits that will stop you in whatever it is you are doing.
January 7, 2014
The weirdest script ever... Yet pretty clever and captivating.
½ January 7, 2014
i had no clue what this movie was trying to say it made no sence and im mad pawpaw died