The Giver Reviews

• Aug 22, 2019

Maybe im just a sap for these types of movies but I really thought that, the Giver, was excellent. I do tend to gravitate towards movies that question life and what it is to be human actually means. Of all of the movies in this genre that I have seen, this one is at the very top of that list. It won't be for everyone and maybe not even for most, as I've come to believe it takes a special type of person to appreciate this kind of story. In my opinion, it was thrilling and emotional and joyful. Jeff Bridges, who before this I'd never really paid much attention to, I thought was very good in his role. Also, you have Meryl Streep and Katie Holmes who also do a good job. But the lead, played by Brenton Thwaites, was excellent! Actually, everyone in this movie did a great job. If I had one complaint, it would be that I wish they had expanded on the ending a little more. But still I found the ending to be satisfying. Please don't pay attention to the negative marks this film received, instead watch and decide for yourself. If I had looked at the ratings and reviews before hand, I probably would have skipped it, but im really glad that I didn't!

• Aug 19, 2019

Like the book, it's stupid, depressing, and badly executed.

Like the book, it's stupid, depressing, and badly executed.

• Jul 20, 2019

lesson learned is that life is not complete unless lived to the fullest, but, interesting concept for safety and procedures.

• Jun 07, 2019

Not enough moments that make you go "wow" in your head, like the book has. 2.5/5 for me, I wouldn't recommend

• May 23, 2019

Terrible adaptation to what is actually a very poignant and thought provoking book.

• Apr 28, 2019

i didn't read the book, but anyway I didn't enjoy in this movie, the performance was normal nothing special, I like some concepts in the movie like the idea by going from black and white to colors, which colors indicate to emotions, but nothing impressive and the actions of movie don't give you suspense or enjoy, if you like these type of movies you can watch "divergent" or "the hunger game" more better than "the giver".

• Apr 27, 2019

It's completely different to the book and an honest disappointment

It's completely different to the book and an honest disappointment

• Apr 24, 2019

I agree with the consensus though I didn't feel the movie was "bad" per se. The main feelings were there, just felt like the ending needed a bit more help which currently feels like it forces merit for a second movie which is questionable. (Kind of like Last Airbender)

• Apr 22, 2019

This is a great movie. Not the most amazing movie ever made, but certainly deserving of more praise than it gets in the critic and even audience reviews here. People really should check themselves if they've read the book before.

• Apr 12, 2019

I loved the book and really wanted to like the movie but it sadly it failed to deliver.