The Giver Reviews

• Jan 16, 2020

Nice, not great not bad, an interesting little film.

Nice, not great not bad, an interesting little film.

• Dec 01, 2019

The movie actually deserves zero stars. Anyone claiming it's a replica or is close to the book need to go back and read the book again. Within the first five minutes of the film, they have already strayed. The characters are older, the baby, Gabe, is not living in Jonas' home, no explanation is given at all about how the society is run. They just jump right into the ceremony where everyone advances and for some reason, they went from only 50 people in each age group to 150. By the end of the movie where Jonas leaves the community with the aid of Fiona, they have strayed so far from the book, I really don't understand how anyone can think this representation is close to Lois Lowry's book. Jeff Bridges doesn't feel like the right actor to play the grandfatherly role The Giver is. He just doesn't play the character well. Anyone who read and loved the book and were hoping for a script that closely follows the book will be disappointed. Those who have not read the book will probably find this movie to be a slower paced knock off of Divergent, trying to cash in on a similar storyline,even The Giver was written long before. It was just a horrible movie and I don't recommend it. The book has sequels- Messenger, Gathering Blue and Son. My hope is that no one involved in the making of this film try their hand at the entire series.

• Nov 26, 2019

It is rotten. 🤢 I remember watching it some years ago and it seemed this movie was NEVER going to end. VERY boring.

• Nov 22, 2019

The sense of action and suspense at the end of the film really appealed to me because I felt like it finished, unlike the book where it suddenly stopped. Something that didn't appeal to me was the speed of the movie, I felt like it was skipping necessary parts from the book. The first hour of the movie covered the majority of the book and it didn't give us time to grasp what just happened. There were many differences from the book but the ones that stood out were; Fiona helping Jonas escape, Fiona getting feelings, Asher and Fiona's jobs were different and There were markings on Gab and Jonas instead of their eye colour. I like that Fiona helped Jonas escape and she got feelings even though it defeated the purpose of the book (Jonas being alone and suffering from depression). It gave character to the film. I like all the changes the film made from the book. They gave more character to the film. I still prefer the book because it explores more ideas like ‘sameness'. I would recommend to most people; I think everyone would enjoy this film. I give it 3.5 stars out of five.

• Nov 22, 2019

The amount of detail they put into showing all of the memories and some of the things we didn't get to read in the book. That all of the elders were so blind about all of the releases. It explores The Givers abode on a cliff with no receptionist. Showing the similarities between Jonas and Gabe having the same birth mark. Jonas not making it back to the community to show what they had all been missing. I prefer the movie over the book mainly because instead of having to picture what happens in the book, I can see it in the movie. I would recommend it to families as a family movie genre, but I would not recommend it to anyone who is into Ma15+ horror movie kind of people. I would rate it a 4.5 because I was really wanting to see the movie for ages but I was let down by how he couldn't make it back.

• Nov 22, 2019

That it was different to our world, but we could also relate to it That they were so blind to all the bad things the elders were doing to them In the novel it wasn't explained as well for me but it was explained in more depth in the movie That it showed Jonas after he left the society and if still had suspense That some things were still not explained ian I wanted to know what happened next .The movie as it explained a lot of things that they didn't explain in the book Young teens as they will just start to develop feeling for people

• Nov 22, 2019

The part of the film that appealed to me is that it had a fairly good storyline besides the fact they change a few things from the original book. The thing that didn't appeal to me is that they just didn't execute the movie well at all. I didn't like the movie at all though. The most notable differences between the film and the novel is that in the film the characters are a bit older. In the novel Jonas was supposed to be 12 years old but, in the film,, he looked like he was 17. I preferred the novel because the execution of the story better. To be honest I wouldn't recommend the movie at all because it just wasn't a good movie. I would give this movie a 0 out 5 stars.

• Nov 22, 2019

I liked how the characters all played different roles to the book and you actually learnt more about their character in the film. I too liked how they showcased the memories as it emphasised what emotions were to come through that particular memory. What didn't appeal to me in the film was that it was very slow to start at the beginning and the ending was really hasty and rushed. It differs to the novel because the characters all play different roles and the setting of scenery is different as well. The movie also excluded some things from the movie that were in the book. The storyline is altered as Jonas does different things to what he does in the book. And the apple has more significance as it demonstrates the love between Jonas and Fiona. I liked Fiona's character more because you learn about her faith and hope in Jonas and her determination to see beyond. I also liked how Jonas's escape was more intense as people knew and were after him. I like the intensity in the movie because in the book its not as exciting. I didn't really like some changes. One was how Asher's character became kind of s struggle to like. You didn't really learn how he is a class clown and funny you got an idea that he was really sensible and always followed the rules. I prefer the movie over the book because it was more intense and draws the audience in a lot easier as it is really intriguing. You learn about the characters personality traits a lot more and I just think its better played out. I would recommend it to teenagers as it is a little too mature for a younger audience but maybe not mature enough for an older age group.

• Nov 09, 2019

The book by Lois Lowry is among my all-time favourite books. The brilliant, thought provoking themes were as meaningful then as they are now. I commend the writers, the directors, and all of the actors for bringing this brilliant book to life in a way that, to be quite honest, I did not think they could accomplish. The film exceeded my expectations. It is an absolute must watch!

• Aug 22, 2019

Maybe im just a sap for these types of movies but I really thought that, the Giver, was excellent. I do tend to gravitate towards movies that question life and what it is to be human actually means. Of all of the movies in this genre that I have seen, this one is at the very top of that list. It won't be for everyone and maybe not even for most, as I've come to believe it takes a special type of person to appreciate this kind of story. In my opinion, it was thrilling and emotional and joyful. Jeff Bridges, who before this I'd never really paid much attention to, I thought was very good in his role. Also, you have Meryl Streep and Katie Holmes who also do a good job. But the lead, played by Brenton Thwaites, was excellent! Actually, everyone in this movie did a great job. If I had one complaint, it would be that I wish they had expanded on the ending a little more. But still I found the ending to be satisfying. Please don't pay attention to the negative marks this film received, instead watch and decide for yourself. If I had looked at the ratings and reviews before hand, I probably would have skipped it, but im really glad that I didn't!